• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Home businesses, adult care homes, and property value

Habanero

Cyburbian
Okay, maybe I should know this, but if an adult care home operates under our definition of family and they have a business license why are the neighbors not notified of the business? I was thinking it's because it doesn't cause any red flags through zoning, but we've got some mightly unhappy neighbors.

Second, any studies anyone knows of that can prove or disprove a loss of property value with a home business in the neighborhood?

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm not aware of any studies on the effects of home based businesses.

In terms of the business, I don't imagine the neighbors would be notified. Typically when you pull a business permit the city is the only one that receives notification.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
Second, any studies anyone knows of that can prove or disprove a loss of property value with a home business in the neighborhood?

Our assessor did a quick and dirty (i,e, not in publishable format and not following any relevant statistical protocols) in our community based on comparison of 'assessment neighborhoods'. There was no difference in proeprty values that could be traced to home based businesses - particularly CBRF's.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Business licenses in most cities are ministerial applications (over the counter type of permits). Rarely do they include some type of notification.

Family group homes operate under the assumption that impacts to surrounding properties would not be any different than if there was a regular single family house at that location. So theoretically there should not be a greater impact to neighbours or a change in assessment value (although I have yet to see any studies that show this true).

Habanero

Cyburbian
They don't want her increasing her number above our definition of family, and then on top of that they don't want her to be able to operate a business at all. I know that's where the Fair Housing Act could come into play because we cannot discriminate her renting to elderly people, or a group of 5 or less, and I'm looking up the federal guidelines since that will trump anything we have.