• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Home Improvement

El Feo

Cyburbian
Bought our first house in April. It was built in 1873 by a lawyer in town, along with four others very much like it, as investment properties. They were rented primarily to workers at the shoe mill, which was powered by the stream (Chicken Brook - I kid you not) just across the street.

Along about 1950, an addition with below-ground garage was built.

The last owners invested a lot in landscaping and exterior cosmetics. Unfortunately, they didn't spend anything on the stuff that they really should have - like replacing the temporary screw-jacks (calm down, fellas) with bearing walls or permanent lally columns in the basement, or figuring out how to really repair those leaks at the front and rear mating walls (calm down, fellas) between the original house and the addition. My wife and I knew that going in, though, and adjusted our offer accordingly.

This weekend, I start digging trenches and pouring footers in the basement to put bearing walls in to replace the temporary columns, gusset some joists, and re-route some wiring. Soon, I start completely rewiring with new 12-2, reflash the roof joints in a few places, fix gutters and downspouts, and put in a bluestone patio next to the deck so we have a "safe" place for the outdoor fireplace and grill.

After all that's done, then we can get to the "fun" stuff - seems like I might be consulting boiker and Mr. Stumpf on interior color selections. Michael, let me know how the "no permit" thing goes for you. I'm leaning towards that route right now.

Here's a photo - if anybody has any suggestions for a new color scheme, let me know. I'm stumping for red with white trim and black shutters. My wife wants to keep the colors we've got. Compromise might be necessary:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
...Soon, I start completely rewiring with new 12-2...

...Michael, let me know how the "no permit" thing goes for you. I'm leaning towards that route right now.

Here's a photo - if anybody has any suggestions for a new color scheme, let me know. I'm stumping for red with white trim and black shutters. My wife wants to keep the colors we've got. Compromise might be necessary:
12-2? Not 12-3?

No permit, no problem. Actually, the building inspector did some electrical work on the place for me.

Compromise? Does that mean orange with black trim and green shutters? Nice! Halloween isn't far off. I'd personally agree with the wife. It's a very nice looking house.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:

12-2? Not 12-3?

No permit, no problem. Actually, the building inspector did some electrical work on the place for me.

Compromise? Does that mean orange with black trim and green shutters? Nice! Halloween isn't far off. I'd personally agree with the wife. It's a very nice looking house.
Nope, just 12-2.

That's a neat trick - I'm going to see if our BI does side work.

Thanks. I won't tell the wife, though. I've always thought darker or medium colors with white trim looked sharp. That's a battle I'll have to fight down the road anyway...

Habanero

Cyburbian
All of you inspired me to change up the house a bit.. but not so that we would get screamed at if we moved (we're leasing).. So we changed the metal banisters from off-white, like the rest of the house, to a nice bright silver. It matches the Eurway-look furniture and the "antique" alcohol prints we've got. I'm satisfied though.

I do have a question... what are the strips you can put where the carpet and tile come together? And, if you have any idea, are they hard to install?

Downtown

     
Tex, They're called transition strips. You can get them at most home improvement stores. Sometimes also called thresholds, i think.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
TexasPlanner said:
I do have a question... what are the strips you can put where the carpet and tile come together? And, if you have any idea, are they hard to install?
I can't remember what they're called - but they're easy to find at Home Depot, etc. You can choose between, metal, plastic, or wood. You'll have to cut the "strip" to whatever size you need (I'm assuming this is for use in a doorway, right?). Installation is fairly easy (screw strip into floor), unless you have concrete floors...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Ah HA!

Thank you! I'm going to start another project soon.. those strips, hopefully easy, and we're putting up a moon and star border in the second bathroom.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The new house ... well, work is coming along. The final touch, however, will be the master suite. It's a 20' x 20' area (400 square feet, or about 50 square meters), but unfortunately it has motel-style bathroom facilities. The sinks are in the bathroom, with the toilet and shower in a separate room. I'll be knocking out walls and creating a real en-suite bathroom.

So ... what I'm thinking about doing is following the example of the Trixie in Brooklyn who's begging for cash to pay off her credit card debt. Well, I've been maintaining Cyburbia since 1994. I don't get much from book or T-shirt sales. I'm considering a beg-a-thon! I need about $10,000 to remodel the master bedroom and bath. Help a struggling single planner/Webmaster lead the lifestyle of his married peers!

If every planner in the United States donated 50 cents, I could have a comfortable master bedroom and master bath ... a fantastic reward for the thousands of hours I've put into Cyburbia.

[rant on] Screw it. Just screw it. I know that the sinks only need washers replaced to fix the drips. But now I have blood blister on my left thumb. The set screws are stripped. I'm calling the plumber. Screw it. Just screw it. [/rant off] :loser:

Have a nice weekend while I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot getting new faucets. :-@

[rant on] Screw it. Just screw it. I know that the sinks only need washers replaced to fix the drips. But now I have blood blister on my left thumb. The set screws are stripped. I'm calling the plumber. Screw it. Just screw it. [/rant off] :loser:

Have a nice weekend while I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot getting new faucets. :-@
Never mind. I shifted gears. We have five bathroom faucets--two in the hall bathroom, two in the master bathroom and one in the half-bath.. Three of them leak. I can't find white finished faucets anywhere that are reasonably priced. As a result, I bought three chrome finished faucets thru the intrawebs. I can transfer the non-leaking faucet in the master to the hall bathroom and replace the half-bath and master bath faucets with the chrome units. Problem solved without the need for a plumber and less expensive.

Damn, I'm good. Usually. :s:

Under the watchful tutelage of ZG who did all the measuring, a new back splash was installed in our kitchen this morning. It looks better than the old wallpaper.

I'm no Bob Vila but I'm not that incompetent in terms of home improvements. Really.

Under the watchful tutelage of ZG who did all the measuring, a new back splash was installed in our kitchen this morning. It looks better than the old wallpaper.

I'm no Bob Vila but I'm not that incompetent in terms of home improvements. Really.
Wow! That looks great! I am going to have to remember that for this year when the kitchen gets a major upgrade. Much simpler than tile I assume.

Is that tin or just a shiny tile of some sort? Those look very similar to the tin interior roof tiles my parents have in their dining room. If tin, that seems like a pretty cool idea.

Is that tin or just a shiny tile of some sort? Those look very similar to the tin interior roof tiles my parents have in their dining room. If tin, that seems like a pretty cool idea.
It looks like tin but it's some kind of plastic. The designs are raised and it looks pretty authentic. We were looking at glass tiles at Home Depot but then saw these panels and decided they would look fine, and would be much easier to install. They come in all different patterns and finishes; the manufacturer is Fasade.

It's vinyl. Here's the product.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...duct-3-_-backsplash;202025362-_-202025353-_-N

Wow! That looks great! I am going to have to remember that for this year when the kitchen gets a major upgrade. Much simpler than tile I assume.
Thanks. It was very easy to install.

No one seems to want to accommodate me with basic domestic cleaning to facilitate the minor interior improvements I'm planning to complete tomorrow during our poor weather. They have known this for a week.

New faucets!!

I installed three new faucets this morning. Completed before 10:30 am. Not bad for a weekend warrior considering my limited skills.