Home Improvement

Have fun with all the caulking.
You have to use 100% silicone caulk which is definitely different than the acrylic caulk I usually use. First of all, not water soluble. The way to clean it is by just wiping with paper towels over and over again until it's gone. Having said that though, it seems a bit more forgiving because of that. You just slop it on there and wipe away the excess. And because most of the caulking was under trim pieces it didn't have to look perfect.

Installed dusk-to-dawn LED light bulbs in new fixtures as well.
They have dusk-to-dawn LED bulbs????? o_O I need to look into that.

kjel

Super Moderator
You have to use 100% silicone caulk which is definitely different than the acrylic caulk I usually use. First of all, not water soluble. The way to clean it is by just wiping with paper towels over and over again until it's gone. Having said that though, it seems a bit more forgiving because of that. You just slop it on there and wipe away the excess. And because most of the caulking was under trim pieces it didn't have to look perfect.

They have dusk-to-dawn LED bulbs????? o_O I need to look into that.
The light fixture at the front of my house is an LED connected to a photocell. It turns on at dusk and turns off at dawn. I think I paid about $50 for it at Costco 3 years ago. It did start to flicker wildly but Google Handyman advised that it was a problem with the LED driver. I bought a replacement driver for $6 and replaced it in 5 minutes and that did the trick.

I've seen fixtures with dusk-to-dawn built in (I have one on my garage), but they have actual bulbs that have it? That's what's new to me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've seen fixtures with dusk-to-dawn built in (I have one on my garage), but they have actual bulbs that have it? That's what's new to me.
Yeah that is kinda cool. I have either smart bulbs or smart switches on most of my outdoor lights. I can't install the switch on the one I really need to though. It controls 6 exterior floodlights, but it's on a switch loop so I have no neutral. The smart switches have been fantastic and work flawlessly. The bulb is a different animal. It works sometimes, whenever it wants to. I haven't figured out why it randomly flakes out. It didn't used to, it's a new development. The smart stuff is neat, but it's still in its infancy I think so some things work better than others.

Yeah, we had our house rewired when we moved in, but still there are certain switches that are in lousy spots (didn't realize how bad until we started living in the house). I probably need to look into these smart bulbs/fixtures. Is the idea that you can control them with your smart phone or something?

I bought a dusk-to-dawn LED bulb from Amazon for the lamppost in the front yard. It works perfectly as long as nobody flips the switch in the house and inadvertently turns it off!

Prior to this bulb, I feel like I was constantly changing the bulb in the lamppost as it would inevitably blow whenever the weather turned really cold (below 10º F) regardless of whether it was LED or incandescent or whatever. This one has been out there well over a year and through multiple long extreme cold spells without any issues. I'd like to try dusk-to-dawn LED bulbs for the rest of the lighting in the front of the house but they are recessed-can lights so I don't know how well they will work in those spots. Maybe next time one of them dies out I'll give it a shot in one spot as a test case.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I probably need to look into these smart bulbs/fixtures. Is the idea that you can control them with your smart phone or something?
Yeah, and with Google Home or Amazon Alexa via voice commands for some. They are also pretty easy to program if you want certain lights to come on at specific times. I recommend the switches over the bulbs. They just seem to be more reliable. They usually require a neutral wire though.

I bought a dusk-to-dawn LED bulb from Amazon for the lamppost in the front yard. It works perfectly as long as nobody flips the switch in the house and inadvertently turns it off!
I removed the switch entirely from the fixture my smart bulb is on specifically for this reason. I got a blank switch and just tied the wires together with a wire nut. No more switch. The only issue I've had is when the bulb decides not to work, I have no way to power it off.

kjel

Super Moderator
I'm not ready to have some device listening intently to all I say... at least not yet.
Our Alexa randomly started playing 2 Live Crew's Get the F*** Out of My House last night. She's being retired today.

A large portion of the handle of a hosebib broke off (hurricane related?). I can't get the screw out to replace it. I thought about breaking the rest off with a hammer, but decided that would not be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Edit: I tried WD-40.

A large portion of the handle of a hosebib broke off (hurricane related?). I can't get the screw out to replace it. I thought about breaking the rest off with a hammer, but decided that would not be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Bite the bullet and call a plumber. $100 but no worries.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

Bite the bullet and call a plumber. $100 but no worries.
A screw extractor would work. You can also use a dremil tool and either cut the head to acept a screw driver or just cut the rest of the handle off around the screw & then use pliers to remove the screw. I'd be concerned about it leaking if it was hit hard enough to break the handle. I personally would consider replacing it. I know you are looking at selling, so if you think you'll have a home inspection; I'd wait and see what else needs to be fixed plumbing wise and have it all done at once.