Home Improvement

AG74683

Cyburbian
So it turns out the old toilet in the guest bathroom was made on July 19th 1969!! Explains why I couldn't find any flapper for it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So it turns out the old toilet in the guest bathroom was made on July 19th 1969!! Explains why I couldn't find any flapper for it.
That was the day before Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I actually remember that particular day. We watched tv news coverage of the astronauts orbiting the moon prior to landing.

We are house hunting and one of the homes we looked at over the weekend was . . . confusing.

1) Placed on market for relatively cheap
2) Removed from market due to lack of interest/issues with inspections/people pulling their offers because of the amount of repair needed
3) Complete reno/repair of the kitchen into a DREAM KITCHEN - seriously, I could live in the kitchen alone.
4) Complete reno/repair of the master bath - eh.
5) New flooring downstairs, but did not touch the crappy carpet upstairs - inlucing carpet in the bathroom!
6) Ignored the guest bath downstairs - which includes an original 1960's sized shower stall and appropriate color scheme. Not sure the toilet works.
7) Some repair work to the garage/rear porch and deck/driveway areas.
8) Put back on the market at a price at the absolute top end of our budget.

So we took this one off our list because now the price includes their costs to do the reno work, and it still needs more reno work. Puts it outside of our budget. But I have to admit, if they'd addressed some of the upstairs issues (in addition to the carpet, the bathroom needs updating) we might have left it on. And maybe if we had the skills to do some of the work ourselves . . . But we don't. We top out at minor bathroom fixes and fixture changes.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Sal - yeah, that's the thing I saw alot the last time we were house hunting.

My wife and I agreed that we'd be willing to max a mortgage amount (maybe even go an itty bit over) if we didn't have to do anything to the place for the next 10-15 years (other than purely cosmetic items). But we kept hitting these barely cleaned or partially 'rehabbed' places that were listing at the local market high.

Listings would (implicitly) say - 'replaced 35 yr old furnace and 25 yr old water heater but didn't touch the 40 yr old failing windows and 30 yr old deteriorating roof, so give me premium market price'.

My wife and I would say, 'No. you don't get to inflate the price for basic maintenance and equipment.'

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
That's what I'm seeing. Great pool, crap house or look at the awesome kitchen, just ignore the shag carpet and the patio that's falling down. It doesn't help that my wife is looking at one square mile of Phoenix. Um, there are other areas, even within the school district.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That was the day before Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I actually remember that particular day. We watched tv news coverage of the astronauts orbiting the moon prior to landing.
I'm almost sad to get rid of it. There's nothing interesting about it though so I'm not sure why anyone would want it.

The flange turned out to be the original metal one. It wasn't in great shape but still usable. It'll have to be replaced eventually though.

We are house hunting and one of the homes we looked at over the weekend was . . . confusing.

1) Placed on market for relatively cheap
2) Removed from market due to lack of interest/issues with inspections/people pulling their offers because of the amount of repair needed
3) Complete reno/repair of the kitchen into a DREAM KITCHEN - seriously, I could live in the kitchen alone.
4) Complete reno/repair of the master bath - eh.
5) New flooring downstairs, but did not touch the crappy carpet upstairs - inlucing carpet in the bathroom!
6) Ignored the guest bath downstairs - which includes an original 1960's sized shower stall and appropriate color scheme. Not sure the toilet works.
7) Some repair work to the garage/rear porch and deck/driveway areas.
8) Put back on the market at a price at the absolute top end of our budget.

So we took this one off our list because now the price includes their costs to do the reno work, and it still needs more reno work. Puts it outside of our budget. But I have to admit, if they'd addressed some of the upstairs issues (in addition to the carpet, the bathroom needs updating) we might have left it on. And maybe if we had the skills to do some of the work ourselves . . . But we don't. We top out at minor bathroom fixes and fixture changes.
We looked at a house with a dream kitchen. They actually made the house look great (you could see how much better it was comparing it to the Google Street View from a year or two before. Huge difference. The inspection said that yeah, they did a lot of work, but none of it was done right. (Example: All kinds of new plugs in the kitchen, all with the ground conductor, but none of them grounded.)

kjel

Super Moderator
We looked at a house with a dream kitchen. They actually made the house look great (you could see how much better it was comparing it to the Google Street View from a year or two before. Huge difference. The inspection said that yeah, they did a lot of work, but none of it was done right. (Example: All kinds of new plugs in the kitchen, all with the ground conductor, but none of them grounded.)
Saw a lot of that as well when my daughter was looking for a vacation property down the shore. Eventually we found the right house that was built 60 years ago by the original owner who was a general contractor. The last owner made some weird decisions about finish materials during the 10 years they owned it but structurally the house was sound. Even the inspector said it was one of the better houses of that era he's inspected.

All work that needs to be done is strictly cosmetic.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I watched the toilet get loaded into the garbage truck this morning. I am absolutely certain I heard Taps playing, gently, in the wind. 49 years of service. It definitely deserved the Turdple Heart.

The guys were checking it out trying to decide why it was replaced. It was usable if you can figure out how to stop the leaking. I had to drill out the bolts at the tank/bowl junction to get the tank off and cracked some of the tank at that joint. It'll probably leak water now.

Even the inspector said it was one of the better houses of that era he's inspected.
We got a similar remark about the house we bought. Built in 1956 and never had any foundation work done (a rarity in these soils); the inspector said it was rock solid.