• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Home Improvement

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I'm really liking the thermostat so far. I am definitely seeing a more consistent temperature in the house. I do need to fix one issue though. There is no blocking between the return air vent (below) and the thermostat (above). Whenever the heat kicks on, the air in the room blows up through the return air vent and drastically lowers the thermostat temperature reading (I'm talking like 5 degrees!!). This almost always boots on auxiliary heat which is a money pit. Should be simple enough to place a piece of 2x4 up there. I'll probably fire caulk it too, because why not.

I got a $50.00 gift card to Lowes, so I bought some new goodies on Saturday. New toilet seat and handle. I cannot stand the regular toilet seats. I switched everything over to assisted close (if you have kids, this is critical because they'll slam that seat all night). Also switched out my under sink trays, the single one that was on that panel was too small to be of any real use. I think I'll paint the guest bathroom vanity someday soon. It's a pale blue which just looks outdated, not to mention it has crayon and pen marks all over it from the PO's kids.

I have decided to begin the change over to rockers. I'm no electrician so I figured I'd ask here, are there any particular needs to install dimmer switches? I always assumed a dimmer works by limiting the voltage coming through the switch, thereby limiting the brightness of the bulb. I would't see any reason any switch couldn't be a dimmer...

Just in case you still need some input, dimmer switches could work for most switches. I wouldn't put them on ceiling fans(ceiling fan and lights on same switch) and lights that have non-dimable bulbs. Just make sure that you match the dimmer to the switch you replace, i.e. one way switch to one way dimmer, and three way switch to three way dimmer.

Out of curiosity, which Honeywell thermostat did you get? I am looking at getting a wireless thermostat and I am trying to get idea on which one will best work for me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Just in case you still need some input, dimmer switches could work for most switches. I wouldn't put them on ceiling fans(ceiling fan and lights on same switch) and lights that have non-dimable bulbs. Just make sure that you match the dimmer to the switch you replace, i.e. one way switch to one way dimmer, and three way switch to three way dimmer.

Out of curiosity, which Honeywell thermostat did you get? I am looking at getting a wireless thermostat and I am trying to get idea on which one will best work for me.

I'll have to get a few switches then.

I got THIS one. So far, it works great. I had to use the temporary schedule setting today since my mom is down doing some painting work.

Rygor

Cyburbian
As we're closing on a new house in about a week and a half, the wife and I are getting ready to embark on a whole bunch of new renovation projects:

1. All new carpet upstairs
2. Interior painting plus painting kitchen and bathroom cabinets
3. Replacing existing ugly granite countertop in kitchen with new granite plus adding bathroom granite counters
4. Replacing kitchen and bathroom sinks and fixtures
5. Replacing existing ugly ceiling fans and light fixtures with non-ugly fans and lights
6. Changing out mirrors in bathrooms
7. Changing all doorknobs and door hardware
8. Changing out drawer pulls and cabinet knobs in kitchen and baths
8. Replacing front door

All told we're looking at more than $12k in updating, but should be all well worth it when we're finished!

DVD

Cyburbian
Dimmer switches are easy, but like Big Owl said, I wouldn't hook them up to ceiling fans and CFL bulbs don't work on them. I'm not sure about LEDs.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Over a month ago we ordered a new microwave, gas cooktop, and electric oven. They were scheduled for delivery today. The cooktop was not delivered. ZG got three different stories about the cooktop: it's still in the warehouse; it's on the wrong delivery truck; or, it's being reordered.

They are all scheduled for installation on Monday. :-@ :-{

Veloise

Cyburbian
Custom seamless gutters!

Back in tropical December I repaired this mess.

12373338_10153272534649562_4245987140851809949_n.jpg

Curing

12341209_10153273947129562_5654333130644383242_n.jpg

And as of today there's a permanent, long-term fix

12650814_10153358695234562_1554431313893702790_n.jpg

Richmond Jake

Our attempts to replace the oven, cook top, and microwave is developing into a disaster. What could go wrong, is going wrong.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Our attempts to replace the oven, cook top, and microwave is developing into a disaster. What could go wrong, is going wrong.

I feel your pain. I once replaced a refrigerator and as a result, I had to run a new waterline to the icemaker, replace a floor joist, replace a good portion of subfloor, and replace the floor. I vowed never to replace an appliance ever again. I was lucky I found it when I did because it was a matter of time before my fridge fell into my crawl space thanks to a pin hole leak in the copper tubing that supplied water to the icemaker.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So update on my thermostat. It's nice, but I really probably didn't need the whole Wi-Fi feature. It hasn't appeared to save me any money either. If your air system can handle auto switch between heat/cool then I'd just buy a standard programmable one. Mine can only be set to heat or cool manually, so having the Wi-Fi will be nice when I go out of town. It's also nice to see the outside temperature at all times, but I suppose that could be served by a cheap weather station.

I haven't figured out where it's measuring the temperature from though. Whenever it turns on, the reading plummets forcing the aux. heat to activate. I thought it had to do with the wall not being blocked off and forcing cool air up the wall to the thermostat, but I boxed that off on Monday and it hasn't changed a thing. I went as far as sealing every single hole too.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Here's my story today: I have inherited a rental house that was already full of tenants. Well 3/4 full anyway. Yesterday I took a potential forth tenant over to check it out. Ugh. The tenants are college students so the house looked ... well like college students lived there which isn't that big of a deal. I walked into the laundry room and found a huge, stainless steel monstrosity that I'm guessing is a compartmentalized freezer -- which was open and letting cold air in. I couldn't close the bottom drawer. (I'm guessing that's why the electric bill is so high!)

THEN, I go out the back door and almost fall through the porch floor while I'm looking at a huge HOLE in the siding of the house!! (Now I'm thinking the electric bill is low considering that we're heating the outdoors and cooling the heated inside.)

Ugh. It's going to be a long year on that one!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So update on my thermostat. It's nice, but I really probably didn't need the whole Wi-Fi feature. It hasn't appeared to save me any money either. If your air system can handle auto switch between heat/cool then I'd just buy a standard programmable one. Mine can only be set to heat or cool manually, so having the Wi-Fi will be nice when I go out of town. It's also nice to see the outside temperature at all times, but I suppose that could be served by a cheap weather station.

I haven't figured out where it's measuring the temperature from though. Whenever it turns on, the reading plummets forcing the aux. heat to activate. I thought it had to do with the wall not being blocked off and forcing cool air up the wall to the thermostat, but I boxed that off on Monday and it hasn't changed a thing. I went as far as sealing every single hole too.

Which one did you go with and what features do you like or don't like?

Is it in a location where the register might be blowing air on it?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Which one did you go with and what features do you like or don't like?

Is it in a location where the register might be blowing air on it?

I got THIS one.

It's not so much that there are features I don't like, it's more that there are features I probably don't really need. The programming function is dead easy to use so that's good. The Wi-Fi capability seems somewhat unnecessary. I rarely check it on my phone. It's more of a novelty feature I think.

No register nearby that could be blowing on it. It's directly above the return air intake. There's no movement of air near the thermostat itself, so I don't think that's the problem.

EDIT* AH! I have found the problem! Poor insulation on my duct work. A good portion of the duct is inside the crawlspace. Metal duct without any insulation. When the heat pump kicks on, it's pushing that cool air out which causes the house temp to drop dramatically.

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

The nightmare of our kitchen update continues. The replacement microwave does not fit. The electrical and gas outlets were relocated yesterday at a cost of over $250. Now we need to have the installer return. :not:

FML

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm sore in places I'd forgot could get sore.

With the pending divorce, my wife and I agreed we need to do some things around the house in advance of selling it. One of which was to replace the cork floor I put down a decade ago when I remodeled the kitchen. I offered to take up the floor three weeks ago, but she declined not knowing when we can get a tile man. So she celebrated her birthday Friday apparently partying hardy because when I got up Saturday morning seven tiles were in the recycling and there was a note on the counter top that read "tired of tripping over this shit. Good Luck!!!"

I pulled up some 500 square feet of cork tile using a drywall knife and hammer. Only took a few hours, but my buttocks hurt from sliding around the floor to each tile. Yikes.

Sorry for your hassles, RJ.8-!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I got THIS one.

It's not so much that there are features I don't like, it's more that there are features I probably don't really need. The programming function is dead easy to use so that's good. The Wi-Fi capability seems somewhat unnecessary. I rarely check it on my phone. It's more of a novelty feature I think.

No register nearby that could be blowing on it. It's directly above the return air intake. There's no movement of air near the thermostat itself, so I don't think that's the problem.

EDIT* AH! I have found the problem! Poor insulation on my duct work. A good portion of the duct is inside the crawlspace. Metal duct without any insulation. When the heat pump kicks on, it's pushing that cool air out which causes the house temp to drop dramatically.

Does it read the local news and say uplifting affirmation statements when you walk by it too?

Richmond Jake

The holy terror of the kitchen upgrade continues. We have $2K worth of new appliances sitting in the garage...maybe next week?

FML

AG74683

Cyburbian
03f83c5004590d86e83e0c8e72804ffd.jpg

How I spent my day. I live amongst the pines, and they leave their needles all over the roof. Bought a 16 foot telescoping handle for a broom but it just wasn't cutting it. Slight adrenaline rush being 20 feet in the air at the edge of a roof. Did I mention I live alone?

Richmond Jake

The new microwave that will (allegedly), fit the cabinets was delivered today. Maybe next week all the new appliances will be installed. :-@

Nero

ENERGY!!

I love old houses and the oddities and character that comes with them! BUT... I am not a "handy-man" I just don't have that skill or money or time. So I live in a newer house (2005). What I am into is.... Energy efficiency ... it has become an obsession with me:-c

My wife and daughters are always sabotaging my efforts thou. :-@ I think they are in on a conspiracy against my endeavors.

What does it take to turn off the bathroom lights???:-{

I have a long list of the typical energy upgrades I would like to do as $$$ permits..... but with that said... my oldest will be starting at Michigan State next year so I don't think I will have much extra cash laying around...:not:

Veloise

Cyburbian
I love old houses and the oddities and character that comes with them! BUT... I am not a "handy-man" I just don't have that skill or money or time. So I live in a newer house (2005). What I am into is.... Energy efficiency ... it has become an obsession with me:-c

My wife and daughters are always sabotaging my efforts thou. :-@ I think they are in on a conspiracy against my endeavors.

I have a long list of the typical energy upgrades I would like to do as $$$ permits..... but with that said... my oldest will be starting at Michigan State next year so I don't think I will have much extra cash laying around...:not:

Get you some motion-detecting night lights, and a switch with the same capabilities, similar to public restrooms. I have M-D night lights in both bathrooms, hallway, staircase, and almost never flip a switch. Also two lights at the basement stair entrance, fabulous when loading groceries in.

DVD

Cyburbian

Just get some kind of recorded message that randomly shouts, "Keep your hands off that thermostat!" or "Turn off those lights!"

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How I spent my day. I live amongst the pines, and they leave their needles all over the roof. Bought a 16 foot telescoping handle for a broom but it just wasn't cutting it. Slight adrenaline rush being 20 feet in the air at the edge of a roof. Did I mention I live alone?

Get a cordless leaf blower. We get a ton of pine needles too (the short stubby ones, not the long ones you get in NC) and the leaf blower is far and away the most efficient way to get rid of them and keep the gutters and downspouts flowing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Get a cordless leaf blower. We get a ton of pine needles too (the short stubby ones, not the long ones you get in NC) and the leaf blower is far and away the most efficient way to get rid of them and keep the gutters and downspouts flowing.

Yeah that's what I used. I've got a B&D one, but I need to replace it. The batteries are NiCd, and they are pretty well past their prime, even at three years old. I don't get the battery life out of it that I really need to get. I've actually thought about looking in to the gas powered backpack ones. I think given the size of my property, that's ultimately what I'll need.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yeah that's what I used. I've got a B&D one, but I need to replace it. The batteries are NiCd, and they are pretty well past their prime, even at three years old. I don't get the battery life out of it that I really need to get. I've actually thought about looking in to the gas powered backpack ones. I think given the size of my property, that's ultimately what I'll need.

Mine is electric and I thought it was pretty good until I paid some of my nephews to clean up my yard one day and they came over with their dad's gas powered backpack one and my goodness that thing was powerful. I might not even wait for mine to die completely before investing in a gas one.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Just got a call from Pompus & Arrogant company to do some exterior work on the rental house. It needs maybe 10 new siding boards, porch repair, and paint. He said he's up to $80k and he's not done with his estimate. He asked me if he should keep going. HA! Do whatever you want, man. There's no way I'm paying $80k for you to replace some siding!

DVD

Cyburbian
Just got a call from Pompus & Arrogant company to do some exterior work on the rental house. It needs maybe 10 new siding boards, porch repair, and paint. He said he's up to $80k and he's not done with his estimate. He asked me if he should keep going. HA! Do whatever you want, man. There's no way I'm paying $80k for you to replace some siding!

He does understand that at $80k you could pretty much build a new house doesn't he? or at least half of one.

AG74683

Cyburbian
He does understand that at $80k you could pretty much build a new house doesn't he? or at least half of one.

Yeah....my thoughts exactly. Is he just being a jerk? There is no way a company in that field could stay in business if that's what they're charging.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Sounds like someone does not want the job. When he comes back with a quote, tell him that you will give him $10. When he flips out, tell him that is what you thought of his estimate too.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Sounds like someone does not want the job. When he comes back with a quote, tell him that you will give him $10. When he flips out, tell him that is what you thought of his estimate too.

I'm not sure if he doesn't want the job or if he really thinks that the house needs to be almost disassembled and put back together. There's mold on one porch floorboard; he wants to replace the whole porch. There are 3 or 4 siding boards that are rough, he wants to reside that whole side of the house. He also said he wouldn't fix the siding if we weren't giving him the painting job. I said we were painting in the summer; he said he's not sure he could take the job now then because that seemed irresponsible. Whaaa?? I said "go take a flying leap"... No that's what I should have said!

Veloise

Cyburbian
I'm not sure if he doesn't want the job or if he really thinks that the house needs to be almost disassembled and put back together. There's mold on one porch floorboard; he wants to replace the whole porch. There are 3 or 4 siding boards that are rough, he wants to reside that whole side of the house. He also said he wouldn't fix the siding if we weren't giving him the painting job. I said we were painting in the summer; he said he's not sure he could take the job now then because that seemed irresponsible. Whaaa?? I said "go take a flying leap"... No that's what I should have said!

FWIW, I have had decent success with Craigslist, and one of the big boxes with contractor business cards on display.

Critters in the attic? Accessed through a piece of soffit found in the yard? I scrubbed the listings for "soffit" and focused on the ones posting about their availability a couple times a week (there's room in their schedule). Found a competent guy who came out, assessed the situation, said $50, he had time two days hence. He returned with the longer ladder and construction adhesive...in a snowstorm...got 'er done as promised.

My mantra is, "this isn't [ritzy community where the gazillionaires live]" and the contractors who listen are the ones I hire. Tell your dude to stop watching This Old House.

Richmond Jake

The appliance installer cancelled today--sick child, I understand that. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday?

FML.

Richmond Jake

The appliances were installed Friday. Guess what? The microwave doesn't work and the cook top igniters don't function. FML.

Richmond Jake

The microwave was repaired Monday (loose wire). The repair person was here for the cooktop tonight...pinched wire. He made a temporary repair, so it works now. He'll have to return to replace the pinched wire. :facepalm:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Painting the master bathroom today. Got a few new light fixtures for the house as well. Finally ordered a kitchen table too! Should be here on the 29th.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Bought paint this weekend; didn't paint. But did get a new closet system started (a custom closet system built by the hubby, mind you). It's got shelves and everything. It's beautiful!

Rygor

Cyburbian
I managed to turn my old chrome roman tub faucet and handles into a nice oil rubbed bronze this past weekend. It took about 30 minutes of masking and a can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint. Turned out awesome!

Also, my wife and I scored a huge, sturdy armoire at the local Goodwill ReDesign store for $50. All it needed was a little more stain in a few scuffed spots and some new drawer handles. It's a beautiful piece, and we got it for less than $70 all-in. If I wanted I could probably sell it on Craigslist now for $400-500 and bank the profit, but it looks pretty darn good in our living room I must say.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In preparation for the upcoming divorce and sale of the homestead, we hired an electrician to do a few things around the house, one of which was to install a light in the basement stairwell. It's not that it was terribly dark, but a light just makes navigating the stairs that much easier. Goofy as it sounds, this light just made me really satisfied. So much so that I took a good look at the walls and ceiling and stairs and they looked really, really bad. I had painted the stairs when we moved in 20 years ago, but that was it and basement stairs can get kinda grungy over that span of time. I had never painted the walls or ceiling in the stairwell.

Until now that is and I am super happy about it. I know that the way they looked before wasn't going to keep us from selling for a decent price, but now the house just looks better maintained, IMO. And I think that counts for something. Might be intangible, but it counts.

She even complimented me on it.:-|

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I managed to turn my old chrome roman tub faucet and handles into a nice oil rubbed bronze this past weekend. It took about 30 minutes of masking and a can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint. Turned out awesome!

Also, my wife and I scored a huge, sturdy armoire at the local Goodwill ReDesign store for $50. All it needed was a little more stain in a few scuffed spots and some new drawer handles. It's a beautiful piece, and we got it for less than $70 all-in. If I wanted I could probably sell it on Craigslist now for $400-500 and bank the profit, but it looks pretty darn good in our living room I must say.

Sounds like a productive (and right up my alley) kind of weekend on both counts! I may have to look into this oil rubbed bronze spray paint you speak of. And also a cool, old armoire that just needed a little love? Fantastic!!

Rygor

Cyburbian
Sounds like a productive (and right up my alley) kind of weekend on both counts! I may have to look into this oil rubbed bronze spray paint you speak of. And also a cool, old armoire that just needed a little love? Fantastic!!

Indeed! FYI, this is the brand of spray paint I used: http://www.lowes.com/pd_75474-90-249131_0__&productId=3729731&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-Paint-_-SprayPaint-_-3729731:Rust-Oleum&CAWELAID=320011480000364003&kpid=3729731&CAGPSPN=pla?k_clickID=81ee2f7e-e7e9-461e-9e6a-ff5f2a13ae4b

Here are the finished products:

New%20Armoire.jpg

Roman%20Tub%20Faucet.jpg

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Question for you folks....I need to replace two old bakelite round receptacle boxes. One is cracked where the mounting screw for the sconce goes, replacing the other is more of a preventative measure. NOW, how do I get these suckers out and thread the wire through them? There are two lines coming in to one box, one to another. How do I get the existing wire through without dropping it in to the wall? I'm picturing the lines tied/taped to a length of rope. They aren't nailed in, both appear to be screwed into a stud with two flat head screws per box. I don't think I'll need to cut them out either. Any thoughts?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Question for you folks....I need to replace two old bakelite round receptacle boxes. One is cracked where the mounting screw for the sconce goes, replacing the other is more of a preventative measure. NOW, how do I get these suckers out and thread the wire through them? There are two lines coming in to one box, one to another. How do I get the existing wire through without dropping it in to the wall? I'm picturing the lines tied/taped to a length of rope. They aren't nailed in, both appear to be screwed into a stud with two flat head screws per box. I don't think I'll need to cut them out either. Any thoughts?

Dremel tool is what I have used in the past.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I would say that would work; however for the sake of full disclosure, the only electrical boxes that I have had to replace have been either in the ceiling or low on the wall. I just pushed the wire(s) out of the box, removed the boxes, and then I fished the wire out of the hole to insert it into the new "old work" box. I have plaster walls and ceilings , so in my case in my case they were all embedded in the plaster. Afterwards my father sent me a link for these. I don't think they would work well on plaster because of the unevenness but if I had drywall I might try them.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I would say that would work; however for the sake of full disclosure, the only electrical boxes that I have had to replace have been either in the ceiling or low on the wall. I just pushed the wire(s) out of the box, removed the boxes, and then I fished the wire out of the hole to insert it into the new "old work" box. I have plaster walls and ceilings , so in my case in my case they were all embedded in the plaster. Afterwards my father sent me a link for these. I don't think they would work well on plaster because of the unevenness but if I had drywall I might try them.

I think I'll have to use those clips. Apparently these old boxes are an odd size (2" deep by 3.5" wide). I'm wary about pulling them out anyways because there is no slack in the line coming in. I can't find the clips for a round box though, so I think I may still be stuck.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I didn't need to install a new box or repair the box with those clips. I just jammed a drywall screw in between the drywall and the outside edge of the electrical box. It worked. It's not supporting much so I doubt I'll ever see it sag.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We have so many home improvement projects to attend to but are scared to start because in my experience any little thing you start snowballs into 4 additional projects. We ain't got the time or money for that.

*stares at water stains on ceiling*

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We have so many home improvement projects to attend to but are scared to start because in my experience any little thing you start snowballs into 4 additional projects. We ain't got the time or money for that.

*stares at water stains on ceiling*

My wife and I were going over the list of things that we are going to have the developer do, and the list of things that we will do. It is scary how long the 'home improvement project' list is being that the house hasn't even been permitted yet. 8-!

Richmond Jake

I cleaned out our laundry dryer vent this afternoon....with a leaf blower. How 'bout that?!?!

Didn't take very long. Dogs didn't like the noise.