• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Home Improvements

AG74683

Cyburbian
I finally painted the trim and soffit that I had replaced last summer. They painted it when they put it up, but they must have used crappy paint because it was starting to look bad. I put a coat of Killz on it followed by 2 coats of exterior latex trim paint. It looks really good, so I guess now I need to paint everything else to match.

I also put screen back on my busted door for my screen room. One of the dogs I watch from time to time pushed through the old screen with his fat head. This is the second time I've had to rescreen that door. I won't do it again, I'll 100% just buy a new door. That is one of the worst jobs of all time.

Gedunker

Moderating
<snip>

I also put screen back on my busted door for my screen room. One of the dogs I watch from time to time pushed through the old screen with his fat head. This is the second time I've had to rescreen that door. I won't do it again, I'll 100% just buy a new door. That is one of the worst jobs of all time.
I'm replacing the aluminum screens in all my original triple-track storm windows. They are original to the house (as best I can tell and are about 50 years old). I thought it would be a headache, but it's actually going smoothly and fairly quickly. I'm using fiberglas for the replacement screens and like the results.

I do have one screen sash that isn't playing nicely, however, and simply won't come out. Not sure how to proceed with it, but I'm sure I'll be googling for suggestions.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm replacing the aluminum screens in all my original triple-track storm windows. They are original to the house (as best I can tell and are about 50 years old). I thought it would be a headache, but it's actually going smoothly and fairly quickly. I'm using fiberglas for the replacement screens and like the results.

I do have one screen sash that isn't playing nicely, however, and simply won't come out. Not sure how to proceed with it, but I'm sure I'll be googling for suggestions.
I used fiberglass on mine this time, the super strong stuff. It's not as invisible as the old stuff, but the old stuff was super thin which is how the dog got through to begin with. I just hate running the spline for screens. If I have to do it again, I'll buy a better tool. I got the cheapest one and that was a mistake.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
How do you like them so far? I want to put some cameras up on the house, but currently have no access to the attic to run hardwired cameras.
I have five blink cameras at my house. They work great if you only need clips/alerts when there is movement. I like them because there is no monthly charges and I didn't have to run wires. To get the two years of battery life you have to have light usage, short duration clips, and moderate video quality. I have one at the back door and i get 2 dozen or more notifications a day; my battery life is around 6 months. You can schedule the cameras so that you only have them armed when you need them armed to save the battery. The one at the back door is easy to get to. Also, I didn't like the mounts that came with them as they were limited in the adjustment so I bought some after market mounts.

I have another one that I have over at my father's place that I use as a wildlife cam. I bought a solar panel for it. It gets high usage and I also have the video quality set to high and it records 30 second clips. I'd buy them again. I bought mine last year on amazon prime day and got some more on cyber monday. If you are interested in them, i'd wait till this upcoming amazon prime day. The newest version which was released a few weeks ago has two way audio. Blink is owned by amazon so I feel like it's a solid company and they are constantly making improvements to their app and firmware.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just started to replace the ugly, partly painted over brass door hinges on interior doors with brushed nickel whenever I've painted a room in our house. I bought a set of Schlage hinges on Amazon, and their quality and tight tolerances are excellent compared to Lowe's/Home Depot and hardware store house brands. However, the price of Baldwin hinges on Amazon just doubled, and I'm reluctant to buy more.

What do you think of these brands?
  • Richelieu Hardware
  • Stanley
  • Ives (I think it's the same as Baldwin, and availability seems just as spotty.)
Any others I should know about?

I'm not looking for something ultra-high end. (I know Baldwin is probably excellent, but they're probably at the tippy top end of what I'm willing to pay -- when I can find them cheap. ) Maybe $5 - $6 per hinge at the most. 3 1/2", 5/8" radius (sorry metric fans), removable pins, and a bottom cap or nib.

kjel

Super Moderator
I just started to replace the ugly, partly painted over brass door hinges on interior doors with brushed nickel whenever I've painted a room in our house. I bought a set of Schlage hinges on Amazon, and their quality and tight tolerances are excellent compared to Lowe's/Home Depot and hardware store house brands. However, the price of Baldwin hinges on Amazon just doubled, and I'm reluctant to buy more.

What do you think of these brands?
  • Richelieu Hardware
  • Stanley
  • Ives (I think it's the same as Baldwin, and availability seems just as spotty.)
Any others I should know about?

I'm not looking for something ultra-high end. (I know Baldwin is probably excellent, but they're probably at the tippy top end of what I'm willing to pay -- when I can find them cheap. ) Maybe $5 - $6 per hinge at the most. 3 1/2", 5/8" radius (sorry metric fans), removable pins, and a bottom cap or nib.
The beach house has a variety of hinges that were installed over the years, a number of which are not easy to find replacements for. I've just spray painted them with Rustoleum satin nickel paint so the match the replacement knobs we installed for a unified look.