• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Home Improvements

AG74683

Cyburbian
I talked to the concrete guy at the fire department Friday evening. He said I shouldn't need rebar in a patio and don't really need footers, just dig a little deeper where I want the brick knee walls. That doesn't exactly sound right to me, but I'm no concrete expert.

DVD

Cyburbian
I would say a 4" patio pour doesn't need rebar mesh, but it doesn't hurt. A foundation wall, anything more than 1' probably should have rebar, but I'm not an expert either.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have reversed course on my poured concrete patio. I think I'll do it in brick pavers instead. It'll be easier to do myself and repairs won't be as difficult. I think the poured concrete patios are sort of out of style anyway.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have reversed course on my poured concrete patio. I think I'll do it in brick pavers instead. It'll be easier to do myself and repairs won't be as difficult. I think the poured concrete patios are sort of out of style anyway.
True, but, depending on area/size, that's a lot of (hard) work and time...especially for one person.

You'd be surprised at how nice a poured concrete patio can be.

Bubba

Cyburbian
When we bought our current house close to three years ago, we did not ask for much from the seller in the offer and contract, even after the inspection report (the house was in fantastic shape). There were a couple of items we asked for clarification on, but pretty much what we requested beyond standard items were leave the refrigerator, remove the trampoline from the backyard, and remove the basketball goal and its pole that is next to the garage. The first two items were quickly agreed to (including them surprising us with the bonus of leaving the beer fridge in the basement as well), but the reaction to the ask about the basketball goal was hysterical laughter. It was set in concrete in the ground, so...okay, fine, whatever - leave it. We want the house.

Flash forward to this past weekend. My FIL has been itching to break out his power tools and attack the goal and pole ever since he saw it. He got his chance on Mothers' Day.

Lowering the goal from 10 feet to 7 1/2 feet to get the hoop and backboard off - very easy.
Removing hoop and backboard - fairly easy - also gave me an excuse to break out some of my late father's tools for the first time.
Getting the screws out of the upper two section of the metal pole - very easy.

Then we figured out the sections were not going to pull apart. Okay, we'll cut it off at ground level. Break out the industrial strength reciprocating saw!

Make a few cuts at ground level - hit concrete inside the pole. After some trial-and-error, we figured out where the concrete stopped and the pole was completely hollow (a little below two feet above ground). I took over the saw work at that point, and cleanly broke through one side of the pole in short order. And, apparently the cap on the pole had lost its seal at some point and tilted, because there was water inside the pole.

Muddy, rusty water, that is. It looked like I'd struck oil. By the time the nerve impulses from my brain made it down to my hands, it had sprayed up far enough to reach the back of the hat I was wearing. And, no, there is no video of the incident, so don't ask. After the laughter died down, we finished sectioning off the pole and cleaned up the job site.

My FIL is coming back over at some point with some concrete-rated saw blades to finish the job. I will break out my steel-toe boots for that effort. And, there will be no video of that work either.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
When I went to get ice cream out of the freezer last night about 10:00 pm, it was all melted. Upon further investigation, several others items were thawed or beginning to thaw. We had been planning a freezer cleanout this weekend, but not at 10:00pm on a Tuesday night.

Transitioned everything that was still frozen to the freezer in the beer fridge in the garage. Had to throw away several items, but saved a couple pounds of chicken & some pork chops & put them in the fridge - those will be cooked tonight.

Put a cup of ice, left some frozen fruit and some other still frozen items in there & checked them this morning - still frozen. This has lead to the theory that when food was taken out of the freezer at dinner time (6:30 pm), the door wasn't closed all the way. I'll have The Girl check on it later today too. I'm hoping that's it because I didn't want to go spend my tRump stimulus check on a new fridge this week.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby wants to get a small garage freezer. Not a big deep freeze - just a smaller sized one. Like a dorm fridge size, but all freezer.

I think the impetus for this was me taking everything out of the freezer, writing it down, and reorganizing it when I put it back. Now I have a running list on the freezer door of what's in there, what I've used, and therefore an idea of what goes on the shopping list. And I can find it when I'm ready to cook.

Planit

Cyburbian
Now I have a running list on the freezer door of what's in there, what I've used, and therefore an idea of what goes on the shopping list. And I can find it when I'm ready to cook.

We need to do that.

We didn't find anything too bad, as Mrs. P likes to throw out suspicious looking items. Did find a freezer-burnt bag of fried rice - don't even know how that wound up in the freezer though.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We have a 1992 model refrigerator we got with a house we bought in 2004, moved it to the garage, moved from that house to our current house in 2006 and moved that old fridge to the basement. Here, the 2001 model fridge that came with the house died in 2008, and the next one died in 2016.

The 1992 model still runs like a champ. And oh, it survived a pretty significant kitchen fire in 2002.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The 1992 model still runs like a champ. And oh, it survived a pretty significant kitchen fire in 2002.
My basement fridge may be that old. I'm not quite sure. It's a beast though. It used to be primarily a beer fridge, but a year or two ago I happened in to a large supply of La Croix water, so it's dedicated for that purpose now. The freezer is completely full of stuff from the girlfriend now.

Planit

Cyburbian
When I went to get ice cream out of the freezer last night about 10:00 pm, it was all melted. Upon further investigation, several others items were thawed or beginning to thaw. We had been planning a freezer cleanout this weekend, but not at 10:00pm on a Tuesday night.

Transitioned everything that was still frozen to the freezer in the beer fridge in the garage. Had to throw away several items, but saved a couple pounds of chicken & some pork chops & put them in the fridge - those will be cooked tonight.

Put a cup of ice, left some frozen fruit and some other still frozen items in there & checked them this morning - still frozen. This has lead to the theory that when food was taken out of the freezer at dinner time (6:30 pm), the door wasn't closed all the way. I'll have The Girl check on it later today too. I'm hoping that's it because I didn't want to go spend my tRump stimulus check on a new fridge this week.

Knock on wood, everything seems to be okay. Everything that was put back in that freezer overnight has remained frozen. Guess the door didn't close all the way. Now I have to venture to the grocery store & buy ice cream.

Veloise

Cyburbian
My basement fridge may be that old. I'm not quite sure. It's a beast though. It used to be primarily a beer fridge, but a year or two ago I happened in to a large supply of La Croix water, so it's dedicated for that purpose now. The freezer is completely full of stuff from the girlfriend now.
whaaaa???