• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Home schools

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
I've just had one come up that I've never seen discussed here before.

I had thought that home schooling was typically a pretty low key thing, something that would not even be listed as a conditional use. It has come up though that some of these are turning into something more like an in home day care, with 12 plus kids going to a home each day for daily school. I'm thinking that in cases where kids from outside the immeadiate family are being schooled, it may turn into a conditional use in residential zones due to the traffic impacts.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Doesn't sound like a "home" school to me. Check with your state or local school board for a conditional use definition...or to turn them in.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm wondering ... does the use meet any definition for "day care" in your zoning code?

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
We had a case like this that was a problem when I worked in Abilene. There was a home that the owner was operating as a charter school. Schools were allowed under the zoning of the property, but they had to meet the commercial building codes, and the house didn't, and an occupancy permit could not be issued. Then the owner said that it was really a church with an accessory school, also allowed, but also required to meet the commercial building codes. They weren't paying attention to the news because the City Building Department had already shut down a school in a real church building for failing to meet the codes, so they certainly wouldn't have a problem shutting down a church-school in someone's home.

I suggest you look into the building/fire code's rules for schools and see if they meet. Look at other school requirements about providing parking or landscaping.

Good Luck!

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
Thanks for the comments. I don't know what kind of definitions they may meet, we don't really have a handle on this yet. I had thought that home schools always were restricted to just the kids that lived in the home. We may have to expand the day care definition to include home schools, and handle charter schools somewhat different.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
We had exactly the same problem. 15-20 kids from different families. My argument was that this became a private school. Battled for months when we found that the state code said it became a school with over 5 kids. At that point many state fire regs kicked in and they closed the school.

These people were charging tuition. (several thousand per child)

At one point the city attorney was contacted by the Home School Defense League. The league even recommended that the school cut back on numbers as they thought it "blurred the lines between home and private schools"

Dan