• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Homeowner Horrors!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yikes!! Thank God my neighborhood doesn't have one of those--my pink flamingos are safe for now.
The subdivision abuting mine has a Draconian HOA; there's a six-foot wood fence separating the two neighborhoods along the property lines. I think it's so the people who live there can't see the pools, minibarns, and other backyard clutter we can have and they can't.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The people enforcing those "rules" (and wanting to live like that!) have to be obsessive-compulsive sadists. Just the reason that I was VERY careful to buy in an older neighborhood with no HOA.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm really glad now I don't live in a HOA because I'm now the guy on the block with the wild lawn. I've been spending every spare minute repainting my kitchen and weeks before that I had other excuses. Its my 6,300 sq ft darn it! :)

donk

Cyburbian
If there was a HOA in my neighbourhood I'd have to buy some dead cars to store in the backyard just to fit in.

On the lawn thing, my one neighbour looks after her lawn, I feel guilty when I am too busy to mow mine, or when the dandelions in my lawn start to flower.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
wow... talk about excesive... afterall it's your property! sure.. you have to stick to the zoning regs but that should be it... I should be able to decorate my front garden with whatever I wish... and put my furniture wherever I wish...

I just don't see the need or utility of some neighborhood fashion nazis picking on stupid details like the length of your lawn or whatever decoration you would want to put...