• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

hot cars

Floridays

Cyburbian
Heads up, y'all! Does anyone drive one of these cars? Better check that car alarm!

Attachments

Habanero

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. :-\ Got this info thru cnn.com:
stolen cars
I just think it's funny cnn is reporting the most stolen cars are really old, but then again the people stealing the cars aren't the brightest in the bunch. :-D

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I just think it's funny cnn is reporting the most stolen cars are really old, but then again the people stealing the cars aren't the brightest in the bunch. :-D
It probably reflects the poor areas with a lot of car thefts.

I've seen the 86 Cutlass on this list for years. Do you need a key to operate it or does have a pull-string ignition like a lawnmower?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I've seen the 86 Cutlass on this list for years. Do you need a key to operate it or does have a pull-string ignition like a lawnmower?
Neither, you have to wrestle with the hand crank in front of the cast iron grill.

My guess is that these older model cars are being stolen for their parts, not because they're sweet rides. After all, there are a lot of old beater Caravans and '89 Camrys out on the road.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1980s-era Honda Accords last forever, and the body style and power plant of the vehicle changed very little while it was in production.

Late 1980s-era Oldsmobiles were also very durable, and they shared platforms and parts bins with other GM cars of the era. Many parts can be swapped with Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Buicks, and even some Cadillacs from the era, a lot of which are still on the road in inner city neighborhoods and blue-collar areas.

To swpie a Cutlass, all you have to do is break the steering column housing open, snap a rudimentary steering lock, and jump a couple of wires in the ignition switch. 20 or 30 seconds tops for an experienced thief.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, I better keep a close watch on my olds:

(not my car; used only for humorous purposes)

Last edited:

ludes98

Cyburbian
Don't forget about the market in which they will be sold. Most cars here are south of the Mexican border within a few hours. It seems that not only are they going to Mexico but further south into Central America.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Who would steal a 10 yr old saturn with over 120,000 miles, manual transmission, cracked windshield, no CD player, electric window or locks :p

Last edited:

The Irish One

It seems that not only are they going to Mexico but further south into Central America
And South America as well, my friend tells me it's amazing how many BMW's are in a poor country like Colombia -they're everywhere.

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
1980s-era Honda Accords last forever, and the body style and power plant of the vehicle changed very little while it was in production.
I drive a 1992 Honda Civic (number 3 on the list) and check out the k's on her (photo taken while on recent holiday)

Doesn't burn oil :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
I drive a 1992 Honda Civic (number 3 on the list) and check out the k's on her (photo taken while on recent holiday)
If you steal a car in New Zealand ... well, where are you going to take it?

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
If you steal a car in New Zealand ... well, where are you going to take it?
Just exactly how small do you think NZ is? :p We do a fine trade in stolen vehicles. Land mass is similar to Japan's, however less population here means plenty of places to hide stolen cars while you strip them, repaint them, and get them ready for re-sale. Not that I'm an expert or anything :)

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
Cars are usually stolen for the value of their parts, not the value of the car as a whole. Many of the cars on the list are cars sold in high volume, meaning that parts for repairs are in high demand. There's a big underground market for used airbags, electronic control units, body parts, and other expensive replacement parts.

Of course, if you drive a Yugo, you have no reason to fear your car getting stolen.

Q: Know why Yugos have rear window defrosters?

A: To keep your hands warm while you're pushing it! ;-)

B'lieve

Cyburbian
I drive a 1990 Olds Delta. I don't know how interchangeable the parts are with other cars (since it doesn't resemble, to my eyes anyway, many other cars as much as a Cutlass.) There's no way anyone would steal that beast for anything but the parts. Anybody out there know if there's much of a market for Delta parts?

OT: Robert Moses lives! 8-! Now where'd I put that holy water...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Speaking of Cutlass Supremes being stolen. . .

My mom's early 90's Cutlass Supreme was stolen yesterday as she took my grandmother to the hospital for a check up before a minor procedure. You've got to be quite an evil bastard to steal cars outside a hospital. Hopefully they've already driven off a cliff to their doom.

Nobody steals my mommy's car and gets away with it! :eek:|