• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hot sauce

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Off the candy bar topic, I find Tabasco sauce is far superior to Texas Pete. Frank's is not bad, but it does not the aged quality that Tabasco has. I don't think that anything quite meets up to it.
Cholula is my go to.

Twice in the last month I have had window salesmen knock at my door to try to hit me up to replace my original wood windows.
Maybe I should have started reglazing at the front of the house rather than the rear. ;)
My beach house has wood windows ca. 1965. They look different than most other wood windows I've seen so we have decided to keep them.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Cholula is ok, but thanks to my dad, Tobasco is my favorite.
I have been watching Hot One's on YouTube for a while now, so I am becoming more interested in / able to try hot sauces. I really like "the Classic". It is like Tabasco, but it actually has flavor.

Also, Heatonist is a great website to buy hot sauces. Be careful though, they get hot fast. My favorite so far is "Sauce Bae | Skinny Habanero Hot Sauce". You are welcome.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

In my great and unmatched wisdom, I think this thread should be split from RTDNTOTO

Tabasco was the only hot sauce found in my childhood home. A small bottle of it lasted I think for almost a decade. Mom didn't like anything even remotely hot/spicy. Nor did my dad. They were simply products of their generation and geography. Not many families in Michigan during the 1940's and 50's prepared food using pepper sauce. I know this because I remember seeing pepper sauce on the shelves at the grocery store in the early 70's and there was only a single brand of pepper sauce available - Tabasco. And it was not a large display either. Fast forward to the 80's and suddenly you see several types of pepper sauce on the store shelves - brands like Franks, Texas Pete and popular regional varieties like Crystal or Louisiana Hot Sauce. Since the 90's it seems pepper sauce manufacture became a cottage industry across the country and you saw literally dozens of funky little brands springing up all over; many of which premised on having a humorous name to slap on the label.

Image result for funny hot sauce names

Favorites in my house are always rotating. Currently, it's Sriracha sauce,
Image result for sriracha sauce
but Cholula is also quite popular, as is Franks too.

The hot sauces you need to really worry about are the humble looking ones like this:

Some neighbor grew ghost peppers or Carolina Reapers and brewed up a batch at home using an unreasonable ratio of peppers to vinegar and if measured would probably register with a seven digit Scoville rating

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
A friend of mine is of Italian descent. He told me that Irish people eat a bland diet seasoned with salt and white pepper. ;)

Hot sauce was an exotic ingredient when I was a kid. My tastes have broadened. I prefer Tabasco, but will pick up other brands from time to time. Those are about as hot as I’ll eat.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Mrs. Maister has digestive issues and does not care much for either the taste or the effects associated with pepper sauce. I have broadened my culinary horizons a good deal since childhood, though, and routinely put hot sauce on lots of different things, such as : scrambled eggs, barbecue sauces for ribs, many different soups and chilis, hamburgers, sausages, hot dogs...they're also great with pan fried potatoes or on vegetables like asparagus and corn. Heck, I've even tried it as a topping on garden salads and mixed with butter for popcorn.

What do you put hot sauce in or on?

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
There is a shop in the French Quarter that has nothing but hot sauce. For me, chili, étouffée, red beans and rice, and gumbo. I like cajun hot, which has more flavor, the Tex-Mex hot, which seems to be there for sake of the heat.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I like cajun hot, which has more flavor, the Tex-Mex hot, which seems to be there for sake of the heat.
This is a valid point. A sophisticated palette appreciates heat as a component of a food item's flavor profile, but there are lots of yahoos out there that seem to appreciate hot sauce on a 'bar room bet' level (hey fellas watch this.....I'm gonna eat this here pepper sauce that's one million scoville units...."). This is almost always guys (machismo).

Reactions: kms

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This is a valid point. A sophisticated palette appreciates heat as a component of a food item's flavor profile, but there are lots of yahoos out there that seem to appreciate hot sauce on a 'bar room bet' level (hey fellas watch this.....I'm gonna eat this here pepper sauce that's one million scoville units...."). This is almost always guys (machismo).
Have you watched Hot Ones? This is a good start...

kms

Cyburbian
My brother puts hot sauce on everything. I’ve concluded that while he loves the flavor of hot sauce, he must not like the flavor of everything else.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like Tabasco pepper sauce on lots of foods, but normally go for the Tabasco chipotle hot sauce as my regular go to.

I do like Cholula went it's available and a sriracha for non-western foods.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Have you watched Hot Ones? This is a good start...

I like that show too. I recall Neil DeGrasse Tyson held up pretty well and made it through almost three quarters of the way on their scale of increasing heat. Not bad for an astrophysicist.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Tobasco is too vinegar-y for me. Although, I tried Tobasco's Sriracha sauce last night and it was pretty decent. Cholula, Tapatio, and Sriracha are what is in my house, pretty much everyone else in my family uses them a lot. To me, it just makes my food taste like hot sauce.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Tobasco is too vinegar-y for me. Although, I tried Tobasco's Sriracha sauce last night and it was pretty decent. Cholula, Tapatio, and Sriracha are what is in my house, pretty much everyone else in my family uses them a lot. To me, it just makes my food taste like hot sauce.
My dad puts it on everything. I swear, he'd put it on ice cream.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, but it must be two flavors that were born to go together. Something where destiny/fate is clearly shining its' light. Something like......blue moon. Mmm mmm!
Image result for blue moon ice cream

Maybe if Dan has a YouTube account he'd let you post a video of you committing this act of foolishness intrepid courage when he puts up his zit-popping video

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Actually, I think original Tabasco on good quality french vanilla ice cream would work quite well.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Something that I have seen happen with some of these sauces is they forego flavor to achieve heat. The other day I had some tacos and the hot sauce that I put on them was a perfect blend and was to the point where I broke a sweat, but the flavor was awesome.

As for vinegar that is a local battle here when it comes to BBQ sauce. East NC is a Vinegar base whereas Western NC is a Tomato base. Personally, I find vinegar based hot sauces better.