• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

houses around houses

Hello
I have recently seen images of the Moth-house by Japanese architects, Atelier Bow-Wow and was really impressed. Does anybody know other houses like this where effectively one house has been built around another... more or less enclosing it like a shell?
Thanks
Markus

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
when I was a firefighter we had one for live fire training
what it was a travel trailer/small mobile home with traditional stickbuilt rooms and roofs connecting/added on to it.
Property owner wanted it cleared off.

Tom R

Cyburbian
houses

Our assistant prosecutor tells of a landowner who built a house inside a barn, I guess to keep it out of sight and to claim it falls under the state's agricultureal structure exemption. Had to be surreal.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I only know of one other one... Eldridge Smerin designed a house around a house in the Highgate Conservation area of London. You can check out his projects in a flash slideshow at:
http://www.eldridgesmerin.com/the_flash/frameset.html. I think the house and some of the renderings are on that site.

Here is more info about the house.