• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Housing/Affordable Housing/Anything Housing

After ten years in the planning field, I have come to realize that I have little more than a handshake acquaintance with housing policy--national, state, local, or otherwise.

What classic articles or books about housing are out there that you would recommend? I have some reading to do!

Thanks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A couple favorites from my collection include Density by Design
and Good Neighbors: Affordable Family Housing. The ULI guide to Residential Development is also helpful. I have found most federal and state housing programs to be little more than bureaucratic solutions to human warehousing. Anything innovative, promising, or successful has come from the local level.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
If you want to be bored to tears, the Federal Register is a good source of the "true policy grit".

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Look in the real estate ads. How $750 month for a small apartment is "affordable" in a crummy little Florida town is beyond me. Policy - good. Reality - no.

bturk said:
If you want to be bored to tears, the Federal Register is a good source of the "true policy grit".
I'm looking over the Register right now...everything getting blurry...fading to black...I smell bread....

:)