• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How about a new avatar theme week?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
I see Habanero has a comic book character as an avatar: Delirium from the Sandman comics. Someone else also has Cerebus the aaaardvaaaark and another has Buddy from Hate fame.

I'm also partial to Bizarro Superman. ;-)

Shall we usher in a new Avatar Theme week?

If so, I'm thinking about a Blonde Avenger avatar.

Who's game?

donk

Cyburbian
I have been Buddy, Cerebus and Ghost World currently I am Leonard (stinky) Brown from Hate.

Not so comic related I've also been one of the Wild Things.

I get bored.

donk

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Cleveland's own.

I've tried repeatedly to read American Splendour and have missed the point on most issues, until recently. I picked up a 3 issue story arc on an unknown Viet Nam war hero that was really good. I'll be giving it another shot.

Hopefully this is small enough for you.

JNL

Cyburbian
Correct. Looking for an avatar, I read this description of her: "the perfect blonde Barbie doll girl next door" and I thought, perfect! ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Spaceman Spiff here... I hope mendelman doesn't get mad at me... well, he has Calvin...
Oh and JNL here goes your avatar :)

Attachments

• 801betty_exp-thumb.JPG
    801betty_exp-thumb.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 307

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I think I just changed my avatar and coincindentally ontime for this thread.
This looks pretty good to me.
Do you find it funny?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Is it official?! Are we having an avatar theme week? Okay, it goes from Thursday, January 29, 2004 to Wednesday, February 4, 2004.

I'm going to be Roberta Gregory's Bitchy Bitch. I like her Naughty Bits comic books.

donk

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Is it official?! Are we having an avatar theme week? Okay, it goes from Thursday, January 29, 2004 to Wednesday, February 4, 2004.

I'm going to be Roberta Gregory's Bitchy Bitch. I like her Naughty Bits comic books.

Another book I read, when I can find them.

Anyone want some Terry Laban issues of CUD? I ended up buying a whole run off of EBAY to fill out the 5 or 6 issues needed. Good indie/alternative comic, weird and demented, but in a good sort of way.

And a question for all the Archie fans, what is so great about it? The last few women I've met who say they like comics inevitably say the only one they've ever read is Archie. Am I missing something?

biscuit

Cyburbian
[ot]Maybe we could have a short primer in the help forum on how to resize images. Sometimes I can change the size without problems, other times the byte size is too large even after adjustment. This could be better than having others shrink them for us.[/ot]

donk

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
[ot]Maybe we could have a short primer in the help forum on how to resize images. Sometimes I can change the size without problems, other times the byte size is too large even after adjustment. This could be better than having others shrink them for us.[/ot]

Typically, what I do is:
1) save onto my hard drive
2) open the image into photoshop,
3) resize the image/canvas to 69x69,
4) save the image out as a jpeg at a low resolution.

Sometimes I end up having to make the image size smaller to comply with the file limit size. I also try to crop the extra borders images have so that it is mostly image.

Hope that helps.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
donk said:
And a question for all the Archie fans, what is so great about it? The last few women I've met who say they like comics inevitably say the only one they've ever read is Archie. Am I missing something?

I am not an Archie fan. But I think the issue has to do with differences in Wish Fullfillment Fantasies between the genders. If I were a woman, I don't think the adventures of Daredevil or the Flash would be too particularly interesting. Too much guy-macho-macho-homoerotic bullcrap. And the drawings look funny. And they are wearing skintight underwears. Seems to be an aesthetic the ladies find offensive.

Something like Hate or Eightball seems to appeal to both men and women.

I think Naughty Bits is also a good candidate for the ladies - I showed my copies to my sister and an ex-girlfriend and they actually read them and were entertained!!!! I would never share X-Men with them.

I loaned an issue of Eightball to a female classmate - I have yet to see it, and that was two years ago. { oh deep sadness :u: }

I am sure I read Archie a zillion year ago cuz, well, I read a lot of stuff as a kid. I don't have a single issue left. Those were "throwaways". I bet I still have some Conans, Red Sonjas, my kids stole my Elf Quest books years ago, and I don't remember the names of all the Hot Babe Adventuresses I collected. Oh, and Warlord.

What kind of weird women are you meeting? ;) I just don't get the whole Archie thing. Sheesh.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Wish I could have gotten the detail of the full pic in my new av....but it'll have to do.....

Attachments

• bddealer.jpg
    bddealer.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 258

donk

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
I loaned an issue of Eightball to a female classmate - I have yet to see it, and that was two years ago. { oh deep sadness :u: }

All about the HATE, even have an original page of art work from it.

Eightball fan here too. Ghostworld definitely has male/female cross over appeal.

Another good one to share with the GF/SO is Optic Nerve by adrian tomine.

I'd also suggest Will Eisner's graphic novels as being good intros to modern comics (Name of the Game, Fagin the Jew, Contract With God)

Border line GF/SO safe would be Minimum Wage by Bob Fingerman (just got an original page of art work, super cool) and Peepshow by Joe Matt (he is a bit of a self loathing degenerate- not in a bad way).

Just read "I Never Liked You Anyways" by Chester Brown, it was interesting, it is definitely GF/SO safe/friendly.

As always I'll suggest that everyone read Art Spegelman's Maus (Pulitzer Prize Winning). Joe Kubert's Yossel was interesting, but not as good as Maus.

JNL

Cyburbian
donk said:
Typically, what I do is:
1) save onto my hard drive
2) open the image into photoshop,
3) resize the image/canvas to 69x69,
4) save the image out as a jpeg at a low resolution.

donk - can you give a bit more info on step 4? I can get through steps 1-3 fine (although I use MS Photo Editor) and I know how to save as a .jpg, but it's changing the resolution that I sometimes find a problem....?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Calling Photoshop tech support

Is it possible that some images are just to big post at all?
The problem I'm running into with several images is that they still have too many bytes, even after being resized and saved at a low resolution. Any suggestions?

donk

Cyburbian
JNL - The resolution of some images is set higher so that they print better (ie more DPI). In most programs, there should be a command in the "file" menu pull down to adjust it(called something like resolution or file settings) Best i can do without having the program on my computer. OT - If you and your friends want to see lots of fit men this week watch Trust House Tour. Cheer for the Canadians.

Biscuit, I've run in to the same thing also. It maybe fixable by changing the color path settings (RBG vs CY?) or by double cutrting and pasting it out into a a new file to get rid of any file garbage that has snuck in there.

These are my suggestions from fudging with stuff. I am sure there is a proper or easier way to do it.

JNL

Cyburbian
Thanks donk. I think I have the same problem as biscuit - I know how to change the resolution, but often I still have far too many bytes.

Thanks for the tip on the cycle tour... I have volunteered to act as a marshall at an upcoming triathlon. Just to be a good citizen of course ;)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I don't know how it works in MS photo editor, but with Photoshop there's a "save for web" feature, which allows you to play with resolutions and preview the file size. This is what I use when making avatars.

JNL

Cyburbian
You learn something every day...

I just went into Photo Editor and found a little button in the 'Save as' menu that had more options, including 'Jpeg quality factor: more - less' and would you believe it, I managed to successfully reduce the file size! :-D

SkeL I won't have to bug you any more! :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Re: You learn something every day

JNL said:
I just went into Photo Editor and found a little button in the 'Save as' menu that had more options, including 'Jpeg quality factor: more - less' and would you believe it, I managed to successfully reduce the file size!

It is posts like these that make me sure that, if my employer ever asks, I can tell them "I learned it on Cyburbia" ;-)

You can also do stuff like that in Paint (helps if you are a masochist with loads of time on your hands -- but there are things I can do in Paint that I can't do with any other program that I have and I can be more artistic and change colors and stuff, if I want to) and stuff can be resized in PowerPoint as well. There are plenty of ways to skin this cat, depending upon what programs you have available.