• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Zoning: general How are types of land uses listed in your Zoning Ordinance ?

DVD

Cyburbian
Badly.

We list out each individual use to the point of having things like Nut Shop or other more specific uses.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I would think most Euclidian zoning ordinances simply list permitted land uses under each district's main heading. The question is kind of general, so that's my general answer. Did you have something more specific in mind?

hcplanner

Our land uses are listed in a table. It designates the type of zone and whether the use is permitted (P) not permitted (N) or conditional (C) If the use is not listed in the chart it is not permitted.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We have a table. We use the North America Industry Classification System codes to define uses. I don't actually recommend doing this- it's basically false precision and the way uses are organized in those codes, while very detailed, doesn't really categorize uses that way you might want to think about them for the purposes of zoning.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My FBC project is arranged by scale of development concern -- zones, neighborhood design, building siting and design, other site improvements, use, process. In the use chapter, there's 9 general use categories:
  • Principal - residential
  • Principal - lodging
  • Principal - retail, service, and office
  • Principal - vehicular
  • Principal - industrial and semi-industrial
  • Principal - civic
  • Principal -utility and communications
  • Semi-mobile uses
  • Accessory uses and single purpose structures
Each category has a table of more specific (but still very broadly defined) uses. Columns are use/definition, individual transect zones (checkmark - allowed in the zone), and conditions. Specific uses are fairly broad. For example, for the retail category, there's just seven uses.
  • Adult use
  • Commercial recreation - indoors
  • Day care center
  • Funeral services
  • Professional office
  • Restaurant / cafe / bar
  • Retail and service
The civic category has nine uses.
  • Community workshop
  • Cultural facility
  • Farmer's market
  • Park / preserve
  • Place of assembly
  • Private club / lodge
  • Public safety
  • School: primary / secondary
  • School: college / university / vocational
BUILDINGS ARE NOT USES, with the exception of some single-purpose structures like farm stands or donation boxes.

Because it's a building type-based FBC for TND, many intrusive or land-intensive uses that might fall into these uses would be unfeasible. For example, a car dealer would have to be in the same kind of structure as any other kind of retail or service use - a single story storefront, mixed use storefront, or commercial building with a 0'-10' build-to line, and a high minimum frontage occupancy. Also, one condition for retail / service is that inventory storage must be indoors.

Uses have conditions, but there's no special uses. If there's a check in the zone column, the use allowed by right. The only exception - food truck courts, which need site plan review.

I wrote a conventional code at a past job, and classified uses a bit differently. I still avoided the granular laundry list approach.