• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

How bad does doing your budget suck?

How much fun is your budget?

• It's great! Just one, and plenty of money.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Good. Not huge, and enough money...

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Fair. It's a lot of work, but I have the dough.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Also fair. It's tiny, but not much in the way of funds.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Hellious... A huge project with tons of shortfall.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Luckily... I don't do a budget!

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Since it's that time of year for me, and I do:

Water;
Sewer;
Street;
Stormwater;
Park;
Activity Center;
Sewer Reserve;
Reservior, and;
And two road construction LID's...

...it sucks.

donk

Cyburbian
I second doing the budget sucks.

I did it once and have vowed to avoid any job that I have to do it in again. It took six months of arguing with one funder, over $8 000 to get it approved, and the $8 000 was not our office's fault, it was the way that the province decided to calculate property taxes.

Final note on budget stuff, it was also funny because the City was complaining about spending $50 000, once fees collected were subtracted, for seven employees. (4 with university degrees, 1 CET and 5 with professional certification).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Doing budget isnt bad, but I have a public admin background so it meshes well with my skill set. I know plenty of very capable palnners that have no ability to handle budgeting.

Ours isnt so bad, but for 3 years we've had double-digit % increases due to expanding GIS functions and the staff / equipment it takes to gear up. We should level off this year.

Overall, we're not swimming in dough, but we have a very robust budget that goes along with the sky-high demands placed upon us.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I did a lot of work on a budget at a previous job. I kind of liked it. Now I have nothing to do with the budget with the exception of asking for computer upgrades and GIS software and maintenence.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't have to do a Department budget these days (YAY!). But I do some of the growth projections, permit projections, etc. from time to time that end up being used in the budget documents. I can deal with that.

I've only had to do the budget once (in Vancouver)... it was a hellish process that I don't care to repeat again.

donk

Cyburbian
Let me expand,

I did not mind preparing the budget and thinking about the money or operational aspect of things, it was when the budget entered the political realm that it really began to suck. If I was not on salary, the pennies(figurative) that I shaved would have been eaten up by overtime, milage and meals.

I do a budget and plan every year for our cycling association and really enjoy it, but then again at the end of the day i am the one that approves it.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I wonder how bad it is going to suck next year when I have to do it for an entire city......

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
How's this compare?

We're about 22,000 pop. right now. This is our 2003 budget status (rounded to 1,000s):

Current Planning $154,000 or $7.00 per capita
Comp Planning $27,000 od $1.23 per capita
GIS $86,000 or $3.91 per capita
Zoning $70,000 or $3.18 per capita
Forestry $31,000 of $1.41 per capita
Lake Managment $49,000 or $2.23 per capita
Conservation $114,000 (actual spending is about $850,000 after bond issues for acquisitons) or $38.64 per capita
CDA $30,000 (first year in operation) of $1.36 per capita

We also administer a $450,000 revolving loan fund.