• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How crazy is this?

Did the Raelians really clone a human?

• Yes - seems possible

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No Way! - They're wackos

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Maybe - whoever knows now a days?

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
These "scientists" are insane. They beleive all life on earth was planted here by aliens.

BTW - Thank G*d that the woman pictured was not the mother. Who'd want another of those mugs lookin at ya!

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Since when is CNN using Bill Nye as a science correspondent? Did you see his sidebar on the page cited above?

Bill Nye the science guy. Bill! Bill!

Habanero

Cyburbian
If they can do that, I wouldn't want another one of me running around. I was enough trouble the first time.

But really, didn't the first cloned sheep die a few weeks later? I find it really self-absorbed to birth yourself, and a little freaky. Think of the ramifications- making yourself do all the things you wouldve done. Ick.

SGB

Cyburbian
Personally, I'm waiting for the DNA evidence before I'll actually believe it.

The ethical implications of human cloning boggle my mind....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Apparently they were trying to develop an organ donor for Mattel’s new Scare the Shit Out of Me life-sized Bobble-headed Barbie.

Jen

Cyburbian
Not crazy at all, and i dont believe the claims its for those poor infertile couples either! Hey they Do believe in aliens, they are bonafide phd chemists, why couldn't they set up a human experimental lab and push the IVF and cloning envelopes?

I dont care if its for a infert couple in Oklahoma or gay lesbian couple in Europe. We're creating babies on a planet that cannot ensure an adequate existence for every single child born now.

Lump me in with the naysayers I am against cloning humans!

I think the most disturbing aspect of this group, and one that i really don't think is getting as much attention as it should, is that these people eventually plan to parlay this cloning deal into a bid for immortality, by doing a brain transplant from parent to clone!!!!! These people really really scare me. sigh.

el Guapo

Capitalist
We watched "The Boys from Brazil" this weekend. Just as scary as a cloned Hitler, would be a cloned William Jefferson Clinton.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
We watched "The Boys from Brazil" this weekend. Just as scary as a cloned Hitler, would be a cloned William Jefferson Clinton.
SHEESH! And I got yelled at for putting Rumsfeld in the same sentence as McVeigh....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Dubya would never let that happen.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hey, and guess what? These guys are based in Canada! Woo-hoo!!!!!

The ran a bit of an interview with "Rael" (their leader) over the weekend...eventually they want to be able to pump out clones and "age" them rapidly so that you could have an adult copy of yourself nice and quick like, ready for that brain transplant.

Wasn't this a Star Trek episode?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Hey, and guess what? These guys are based in Canada! Woo-hoo!!!!!

Just what we need...more Canucks...we can't figure out what to do with the ones born of natural causes, let alone the new freak-cloned Canucks.

el Guapo

Capitalist
bturk said:

SHEESH! And I got yelled at for putting Rumsfeld in the same sentence as McVeigh....
Yeah, but the sad thing is people expect me to step on it. You they still have some respect for...;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Am I missing something here? This sect is supposedly cloning humans so that the brain of the original can be transplanted into the body of the clone. So why a clone?

If you could have your brain transplanted into a new body, would you pick a clone of yourself? Think about it. Why not pick someone healthier, more physically fit, or more attractive. You might decide to change hair color or eye color. If you were a transplanner* you might even choose to come back as the opposite sex. Assuming that you could deal with the ethical issue of removing the clone's brain (and killing it? putting it in your old body?), what is the difference between your clone and any other body?

* Transplanner should not be confused with our own Tranplanner, who has claimed not to be that kind of planner. S/he is, however, suspected by US intelligence agents of being Canadian and of working on behalf of Canada's Prime Minister, Tim Horton, to politely invade and occupy Ontario, Manitoba, and other US territories in the hopes of establishing an independent nation of clean cities and universal health care.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Michael Stumpf said:

* Transplanner should not be confused with our own Tranplanner, who has claimed not to be that kind of planner. S/he is, however, suspected by US intelligence agents of being Canadian and of working on behalf of Canada's Prime Minister, Tim Horton, to politely invade and occupy Ontario, Manitoba, and other US territories in the hopes of establishing an independent nation of clean cities and universal health care.
OMG - that was good. It was at Paul's expense, but it was funny.

Runner

Cyburbian
Who cares? It's a goofy idea anyhow. It's not going to end up with a duplicate copy anyway. Even if it's a genetic copy the effect of environment (such as quality of food, life experiences), education, nurture will all result in a completely different human.
Now if you are growing a piece of meat to eat and will raise it in a similar dismal setting you may see benefits of cloning. But a human its just a dumb idea.
Genetic manipulation to eliminate inherited tendencies would be a different topic but making a copy is ridiculous.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Runner said:
Genetic manipulation to eliminate inherited tendencies would be a different topic but making a copy is ridiculous.
The goal in this effort (for these folks, anyway) is immortality. Perhaps it may be achieved or approximated through genetic manipulation to slow or stop or even reverse the aging process, coupled with further modifications to eliminate real or percieved defects in our bodies. Perhaps it may be achieved by transfering a human brain/counsciousness from one body to another - ostensibly where the clone comes into play. It is conceivable that both of these techniques may be possible within our own lifetimes. Are there are ethical questions to either approach?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Ethical Questions?

No, not for us...

I suspect we'll all be way too poor to worry about affording to swap our brains into new bodies.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I must say that i'm quite skeptical about this... on one hand we have an organized group telling us that they cloned a human, I would think that tehy're not idiots, hence they wouldn't go and announce BS for nothing.

Now, about human cloning; Is it posible? Yes, we don't know what could happen, but I am sure it's possible. The thing is that it's just the "outer shell" of a person, a clone is just like twins. There is very little chance that they will be exactly the same, even in the physical part (because of accidents, or just because the twins tend to change their appearance so they won't get confused) and let's not talk about the psychological part, just having twins in different rooms can make a psychological difference that isn't at all little. They say that they are looking for inmortality, I say that it's impossible. They are planning to do a brain exchange, move the old brain to the new body, anybody can do it, but I don't think it will work, i don't think the old brain can or will merge with the new spine and nerves. They also talk about quick aging so you would be an adult forever (or something in those lines), I doubt it's possible, well Dolly didn't get older faster, just started with a biological clock that was old, so if they want to find inmortality I guess they could research to see if they can set back the biological clock, so you could stop aging, and spare the world all this human cloning mumbo jumbo.

So, to make the story short... They're nuts! (at least in the part of human cloning; the alien thing i will leave alone)

Otis

Cyburbian
But look at the cool suit the guy gets to wear (its in the second picture in the "this baby" link from the original post; also in the flying saucer pic). Sign me up. Or beam me up.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Now about the setback of the testing of the clone... It's my guess that IF a clone was really born, it died, hence now they're desperately trying to setback the date of their demise.
If there is no clone... this is just a way of getting off the attention and so everybody forgets about them. Quite logical!