• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How did you spend New Years?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So let’s hear them… what did you do for New Years? Personally, I wend to see the band “Domestic Problems” in Grand Rapids with a friend from College, and a few people he knew… turned out his friend Nate is roommates with JordanB. It is a small world.

Anyone have any good stories to tell?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
michaelskis said:
[snip] It is a small world.

Anyone have any good stories to tell?
But Cyburbia is an ever growing world.

For New Year's. my wife and I stayed at home, but boiker and his family stopped by our apartment at about 11pm and then we toasted the New Year. Him and his family stayed and hung out till about 2:30am. One cool part was that I took boiker on the roof of my building to see the awesome nighttime skyline view. Everytime I go on the roof at night I think of the chimney-sweep scenes from mary Poppins.

Long Live Chicago!!

Floridays

Cyburbian
Went to a party at a a friend's house. We had gorgeous weather and when you stood outside, you could see fireworks going off constantly, everywhere you looked. Pretty cool!
I laid off the shots and champagne and didn't feel too shabby yesterday....
Happy 2004, everyone!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wandered over to my brother's house around 10 p.m., for fondue, rummy, and conversation. Popped a bottle of champagne at midnight...strolled home around 1 a.m.

Spent most of New Year's Day installing a tile backsplash.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Worked feverishly on my website, when I wasn't re-arranging furniture with the help of my kids and generally cleaning up. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Went to a really lame party at a friend's house. It was a couples with babies and no sittersfest.

The worst part was that one set of friends tried to set me up with a relatively nice girl and she ended up going home with someone else, after we had spent most of the evening hanging out and talking.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Went to a NYE Party at Planner Groupie's sisters house....fun, and brought the average age of people in attendance up. ;)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Some friends of mine went to GR to see Domestic Problems too.

As far as myself...Chad had to work (as usual) and I sat at home and made cookies and watched Law and Order and was in bed by 11pm. ((Sad, I know, but being what feels like 153 weeks pregnant is making me incredibly uncomfortable, tired, cranky, etc.))

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Pretty mellow one. Dinner with the SO, then to a party, then fireworks, then to bed by 1:00.

Nothing to wild and crazy, but I enjoyed myself.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Kids stayed at grandma's. :) Rare dinner date without worrying about anyone screaming. Then "first night" stuff and fireworks on a relatively mild night. It sure was nice to get out.

boiker

Cyburbian
chicago

well, against the department of homeland securities wishes, I was not vigilant or noting suspicious activity. I made my way to the center of a large metropolitan urban center and left 2003 behind.

I was invited to a party in the loop in a building across from the Old Navy on state,loft-style apartment. Anyway, networked wiih a bunch of lawyers from the City of Chicago, many of them working directly with the cities planning department., Took my kids on thier first city bus ride, Visited with mendelman, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I took inventory at my business, drank a couple of great bottles of wine, got to bed by 11:00. Nothing exciting, I'm a bore.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We had the kids this year, so they invited two friends over for a sleepover... four kids running around all night. We sequestered them upstairs for most of the evening, and Elmo and I played videogames on the xbox. Settled the kids around 1:00 a.m. and went to sleep around 3:00. Not a bad NYE, all things considered. :)

BEK and I watched a little bit of t.v., drank some champagne, then went to the levee to watch the fireworks display on the Mississippi River. It was very nice and low-key. :)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
drank a lot. kissed many. danced some. had fun. nothing i wouldn' t do again with just as much gusto.

went to 6th street in Austin, then went to some nye party at someones house I don't know. Free drinks all night, can't beat that.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Drank at some bar that gf's friends band was playing at in NT weird place to be on nye, heard the count-down outside after doing jello shots in someones van, then we got a ride back to buffalo by some dude who wasn't drinking but prefered the other poison. Man what a crazy ride in one of those older full size vans.

BKM

Cyburbian
My mother was in town, staying at my sisters. I went over there for a couple of hours. I could only stand watching recorded Jay Leno highlights for so long, so when my sister groused at me for trying to have a conversation with Mom, I left.

Anti-social am I :(

(At least I avoided the drunks on the highways)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Was on ATV ride for most of the day with a huge hangover from NYE bubbly.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
NYE: Tech Valley

rented a couple of DVDs, got some chinese take-out, bought a bottle of sparkling wine...and relaxed at home...thereby avoiding a shooting not too far from where i would have spent the evening otherwise...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Jessie-J said:
drank a lot. kissed many. danced some. had fun. nothing i wouldn' t do again with just as much gusto.

went to 6th street in Austin, then went to some nye party at someones house I don't know. Free drinks all night, can't beat that.
Doesn't sound like you had cause to try out the "Can't Miss" line.
Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

Me? I was zzzzz about 11:30. Just doesn't hold the attention the way it used to. Plus, I had to be at the inauguration the next morning ;-)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Made fondue (dinner) with the girlfriend, listened (and danced) to some disco, watched Silence of the Lambs, drank some Riesling wine, watched the ball drop with Dick Clark on the Disney-M&M Candies Television Station, and went to bed. No hoopla, no DUIs, just lots of romantic fun at home!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Forgot to mention this earlier....despite my rabid desire to watch football.....I did not watch a single game yesterday....and I didn't miss it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Forgot to mention this earlier....despite my rabid desire to watch football.....I did not watch a single game yesterday....and I didn't miss it.
this reminded that I went to a local U of M hang-out bar to watch the quickly doomed Michigan/USC Rose Bowl game.

Still proud to be a double UM alum though, eh Wanigas?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Woke up Wednesday morning and felt like crap. Medicated heavily in hopes that I would feel better by 7 or so. Didn't work. So I stayed home on the couch watching TV. Being sick on New Years sucks.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Was with family and friends and had some religious touch to it drove back home and slept by 1.00 AM.
Only the half moon made the whole affair roimantic. Missed the GF really. ( for reasons we couldnt be toggether)
Fortunateyl no drunken drivers rammed us. They just sreamed at us.
The cops must have had a tough time.
Pleasant and sober transition into the nu ear i must say. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Boring party at my uncle's house... drank some Champagne, played some sucky PSX games my cousin has. Got home at about 1:30 am.
I would have prefered watching a movie, way more fun!... the NYE TV programs here sucked even more than the regular sucky-ness of every year.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Was it only in the Chicago market where, in the days before cable, television channels always played Marx Brothers and W.C Fields movies? I loved that, but then I am a huge fan of the classics.

Rem

Cyburbian
Went fishing - caught some nice crabs for Mrs Rem's birthday lunch. Watched the 9.00 pm (family friendly) fireworks from the water which was very romantic. Fished some more before packing up and got home just before midnight - cooking crabs as 2004 started.

Cardinal said:
Was it only in the Chicago market where, in the days before cable, television channels always played Marx Brothers and W.C Fields movies? I loved that, but then I am a huge fan of the classics.
We used to get [american cultural imperlialism] Marx Brothers and/or Laurel and Hardy films [/american cultural imperialism]. Now it seems to be run of the mill movies.

JNL

Cyburbian
OT: love your new avatar Rem!

I spent 5 hours driving from Christchurch to Picton then caught the ferry (3 hours) across the Cook Strait to get back to the North Island, arrived Wellington 9pm and drove for another hour to catch up with some friends at a beach house. Ate some cold sausages for a late dinner (yum!), brought out the vodka, invented a drinking game and then went to the beach for midnight where we let off fireworks. It was a beautiful warm night and there were other people letting off fireworks all along the beach as far as you could see in both directions. I got to be chief firework lighter and ended up with a burnt finger :(

I'd only managed to consume 2 beverages before midnight, so I drove back to my parents place nearby about 1am and then had a nice long sleep.

Quite a fun evening but a long day for me!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Woke up Wednesday morning and felt like crap. Medicated heavily in hopes that I would feel better by 7 or so. Didn't work. So I stayed home on the couch watching TV. Being sick on New Years sucks.
I hear ya buddy! A belated NYE toast to you then. :b: My first NYE in Canada I had the flu and missed out on any fun. I stayed home and watched (the terrible) Gone in 60 Seconds while Elmo and his son went and enjoyed New Year's. Having the flu sucked. I hope you were able to pull out a decent weekend despite the crapitude of the holiday.

Cardinal said:
Back in the day they used to do Twilight Zone marathons overnight on one of the L.A. independent stations. Of course, come dawn it was Rose Parade coverage (and pre-parade coverage) on every channel for what seemed like days. But the 10 hours of twilight zone was awesome.

Made dinner on NYE for my parents and sister, played a viciously competitive game of cranium, in bed by 10:30. Jackass younger brother called at 1 am, woke the baby up. spent half of NYD napping while my parents watched jack. all in all - very nice.