• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How do you decorate your office (as inspired by SW)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We moved into our new $9mil City Hall about a year ago and we have been pretty good about not making it too frou frou . For awhile, they were saying any decorations or pictures had to be approved to make sure they don't make the building look trashy.

Maybe this is another thread - but how do you decorate your office? I think my office is great - it's very personalized but not glurgey by any means. I have two birds-eye views of Coldwater, some pictures by a local artist of the interior of downtown buildings. On top of my credenza, I have a small picture of Chad and I, then one of my mom, dad, sister and I. I have a couple plants. That's about all. Of course, I have my cyburbia (damn commie planners) mug and an EMU mug out too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
Maybe this is another thread - but how do you decorate your office?

I have shelves 6' high on every wall with windows above, so most of what I have has to fit in odd spaces. Mostly, I have them willed with books and piles of stuff I am working on. There are pictures or plaques on four shelves. There is a nice big spot over my fireplace for a picture, but in 6 1/2 years I have still not put anything there. One wall of my conference room is lined with plats, rendering, plans, and etc., and I have a few live plants in there. It will all need to be improved.

nerudite

Cyburbian
All of our offices are decorated with local art. I have four paintings in mine, two of which I like and two of which give me the heebie jeebies. I have been meaning to remove the heebie jeebie ones, but I need to figure out what to replace them with. Otherwise, my office is just stacked is with books and papers and files... not too much personal stuff.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My office is decorated in the cutting-edge "Chaos by design" style. Huge stacks of plans, overflowing bookshelves, etc. I spent most of Friday afternoon clearing out the pile that was starting to block access to my cube.

I have a few maps on the walls, a couple of pictures of the wife, a kettle, a "collection" of tea mugs, and a stress toy on top of the 'puter. We're supposedly moving offices soon (they've been saying that since before last Christmas), so I haven't really felt like sprucing the place up at all.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
north wall - coat rack, book shelf, Ansel Adams, and a few Black and White photos I took in the U.K.

east wall - map rails and a 55 gal. aquarium

south wall - map rails and diplomas. Oh, and mini-frig.

west wall - map rail and framed beach v-ball commemorative poster from the '96 olympics

Jeff

Cyburbian
I don't even bother .... my old job I had decorated more than my house .... now a couple pictures and thats it.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
When I moved in there were a gazillion screws in the wall from the guy that retired after 30 years or so.....I should try to post a shot later. I've put up a few things but many un used screws remain.....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I haven't really decorated much. I have a Monet-like Tobasco poster, a poster of Wisconsin WR Lee Evans that some sign company gave me and at 2002 Packer schedule.
Also have various maps, memos, etc tacked to one wall. I put my old home stereo system in here too.

When I move out of my apt. I have some stuff that will move here along with my 10 gallon aquarium.

The hallways of my workplace are filled with pictures of my over-narcissistic bosses (father and son) with their families, politicians, etc.

My office is filled with a couple of paintings, a framed music festival poster, and a pennant from the first game of the New Orleans Hornets.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Favorite planning (and other) comic strips; Mickey Mouse bookends; a couple planning-related posters; a huge county map; a couple Dilbert toys; my collection of mini-toys (Mouse Trap, etc), pics of my son; a pink fluffy wand that was presented to me on my first day here. It's "eclectic".

donk

Cyburbian
Maps on 3 wails

Degree, CIP membership certificate and local appreciation certificates on one

windows on one

Personal items in office

1) Bike race poster from 4 years ago
2) National Sport Management and promotion award

Furniture, a collection of ald and not so old items. New items - chair (i got to choose what i wanted whenI got the job and a computer workstation.

BKM

Cyburbian
We juniors inhabit cublicle farms, so not a lot of room for "decorarting." Pretty chaotic overall, at least my cubicle.

The hallway and other common areas have a mixture of bad modern art, ok modern art (one painting), and a bunch of architecture photographs (from yours' truly-mostly the ones that I don't like that much :( )

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Couple of big zoning/planning maps.

Replica city map from 1870

Best thing - big framed art deco style Chicago Transit Authority poster of a 1940's street scene that reads "Avoid street congestion - Loop L Centennial" My wife got it for me. Ironically, I've never been to Chicago but the poster will one day be my excuse.

A big blank wall where the ceiling used to leak.

My office is a cut -through for a lot of people so I don't get to put lots of fun personal stuff on the walls. I'd trade the large office space for some more privacy.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A satelite photo of the state of Idaho, AICP certificate, photos I took of golf courses in Hawaii, California, Nevada and South Carolina, cork board, and a chalk board.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
north wall - coat rack, book shelf, Ansel Adams, and a few Black and White photos I took in the U.K.

east wall - map rails and a 55 gal. aquarium

south wall - map rails and diplomas. Oh, and mini-frig.

west wall - map rail and framed beach v-ball commemorative poster from the '96 olympics

you forgot the lubriderm, I remember seeing that in your office.

anyhow, I haven't really decorated, I've got a double frame with a picture of James and I and a picture of Hatcher when he was litle guy. Mostly land use maps, subdivision plats, and other needed paperwork, a postcard from Mallorca from when my sister lived there earlier this year, and a bar of soap from the Olympics in Utah (I collect soap and this one hasn't made it home).

biscuit

Cyburbian
Nothing here. I've done nothing to my little office (four scruffy white walls and no door) in the few months I've been here. There's a large city map on one wall that was here when I arrived and I have two 4x6 framed photo's on a shelf...one of my fiance and another of the view of the mountains from the front porch of my parernts house in SC.

I really should go out and buy some posters or at least get a plant or something.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Many years ago, when I was still in college and the education advisor to my student government, I had an office with pieces of work created by students. Student art is... um.... Well, frankly, it tends to be pretty awful. One of the items in my office was a bust entitled "Landscape with T*ts." It was a pair of ceramic breasts with palm trees. I wish I had a picture. It is probably in the Louvre by now.

Runner

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I have a few maps on the walls, a couple of pictures of the wife

Ah, yes. These are two of the basics that I start with for every office I have ever had.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
A satelite photo of the state of Idaho...

I've got the Raven Maps map of Idaho. Raven Maps are the best. I've got two more state maps at home of other states I've lived in.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: for shame-

Habanero said:
I really need to clean it up, but I'm here late trying to work on that.

Wow. So thats what desks looked like before flat screen monitors... Its been so long I had forgotten. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: for shame-

Chet said:
Wow. So thats what desks looked like before flat screen monitors... Its been so long I had forgotten. ;)

Oooh... jealous. I have a big old monster sitting on my desk. But then it is 21".

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: for shame-

Michael Stumpf said:
Oooh... jealous. I have a big old monster sitting on my desk. But then it is 21".

Please. I was talking about computer monitors. What "toys" you pleasure yourself with is your business and no one elses.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: for shame-

Chet said:
Please. I was talking about computer monitors. What "toys" you pleasure yourself with is your business and no one elses.

And you say you don't take easy set-ups. Ha!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: for shame-

Michael Stumpf said:
And you say you don't take easy set-ups. Ha!

I do have my moments of weakness from time to time. The therapist says I'm over the hump.