• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How do you file?

Filing system where you work

• Assessors Map and Lot or plat as you western people say

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Street Address

• Applicant Name

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Date/Chron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 segregated files (e.g. a chron file in one cabinet, and in another cabinet by address)

• 2 systems within (e.g folders by chron with files arranged by street address)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Astrological sign of the applicant

• By latitude and longitude - GPS setting

• By planet

• Some other method

• Wait, are we supposed to keep that $%^&

• We are all digital, baby, get with it

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no idea

• Do you have a subpeona

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Seriously?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So in my new position - they file in folders of year/month and then by address by files

I know I will get used to it but I am used to Assessors Map and Lot folders with chron files

I also put everything in a database that has no application number sequence but that's for another day

What do you do?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We, thankfully, went all digital. Our old system was by permit / violation number, which was a mess. Our new system is completely searchable by any way you want. Which is nice.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My preference is to file by pile, but I'm adjusting to our Digital process here. A person who doesn't have to retrieve a lot of files arranged our digital library. There's not a lot of logic to the file names.

My last place was by subdivision name, then address within the subdivision.

An early career place was by original land grant name, then proposed subdivision name, then street name within the new subdivision. That was a nightmare.

DVD

Cyburbian
???

Most of it is by case number, but we have pre applications, preliminary applications, final plans, etc. Then finding where those are in the building is a new level of confusion. Thankfully most of what I need is scanned into our database. Except hillside plan review that is done by quarter section map somewhere else.

dw914er

Cyburbian
What files are you referring to? For my City:
  • Planning applications are filed by number and type (e.g Land Use Applications in one set of filing drawers, and subdivisions in another).
  • Code enforcement cases are filed by address, and/or date of next inspection.
  • Building permits are by address.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
1). By common address
2). By chronology, most recent first

Common address is problematic, especially for new subdivisions that add streets to our road inventory. Our state has a simple 17-digit (excluding hyphenation) parcel ID system that I think we’ll have to adopt - somehow - into our system because that will show when a parcel was subdivided. And because my memory is slowing down and my time with this employers does have an event horizon. When, exactly, I can’t say. But there is one:| :indifferrent:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) The real answer depends on if there is a subpoena involved (HUD funded programs here)
2) Address is the most common form of file organization in my office but it's inefficient because a project might have received funding more than once over its lifetime and HUD treats that situation as two different projects even though it's the same address. Also we cover the entire county and there are many repetitive street names.

Now I tag the file with the HUD project ID# in combination with the project address.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I want to file by parcel number as that makes the most sense to me and those numbers should never change (as opposed to addresses, which can). I haven't yet accomplished that in our organizational system. From 2018, it is digital but that really won't be helpful until 2050 or so.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I want to file by parcel number as that makes the most sense to me and those numbers should never change (as opposed to addresses, which can). I haven't yet accomplished that in our organizational system. From 2018, it is digital but that really won't be helpful until 2050 or so.
Hoo boy- we actually had a time in my current municipality where parcel number WERE changed! What a mess. Do we have to go to lat/long. around here?

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
We file by address. We call them street files. I would prefer APN for an all encompassing system, but a dude can dream.

Top Bottom