• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

How High is Too High? (aib Gas Prices)

Revelation from an engineer

I ran into an engineer this weekend at a house party - she normally drives her Jeep to work, but in the last two weeks has flipped over to her bike to get to work - why? Gas prices were the direct influencer of her decision. She's so thrilled with her decision that she literrally held court at the party to convince everyone else to toss aside their cars too. If an engineer can see the light and give up her jeep for a 21-speed, then there's hope for everyone!

Eternally Optomistic Planner-Guy

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
salomondesignboarder said:
I still can not believe someone will spend more then 30 minutes traveling to work each way.

Because this was my office and was too damned expensive to live anywhere nearby. Commute 49 miles/1 hour each way.

summit.jpg

jordanb

Cyburbian
More proof that high gas prices are a good thing:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-gas03.html

Skip Lanoff, general sales manager at Jacobs Twin Auto Plaza at 6700 W. Grand in Chicago, said he wished he had more Honda Civic Hybrids.

"It's like a madhouse," Lanoff said. "I can't keep them in stock. I just requested an extra 100 of them. It's just the hottest car Honda makes now."

Jacobs Twin sells six different makes of cars, and some customers are moving down from higher-end models and waiting a month to get a Civic Hybrid, Lanoff said.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
A friend called last night to tell me all about the new vehicles he bought for himself (something in the BMW 7 series) and his wife (Durango) and about the land they bought to build a bigger house. I don't know what kind of mileage the BMW gets but I know the Durango gets 13/20 and the land they are building on is even further in the exburbs (they're now about an hour from downtown) along a much more congested highway than the one they live near now. I bet it will now take them 90-120 minutes each way for work not to mention how much the gas is going to cost for those two vehicles. It isn't like they can't see the rising prices at the pump but they want shiny new cars to show off to their friends and though they aren't planning on children anytime soon, they NEED the 3,500 sq ft house they're building. As long as people continue to act like this, demand for oil won't go down and the prices will continue to go up. At some point reality has to set in with people like this but probably won't be until is costs over $100 to fill up.

Of course these will be the same people who will start screaming to double deck the interstate out to their neighborhood and demand we force other countries to sell us oil at the price point we choose.

Inform Your Idiots

And his reason for the madness is.... I think you should be a good friend and wallop him over the head with a 2x4!

Of course these will be the same people who will start screaming to double deck the interstate out to their neighborhood and demand we force other countries to sell us oil at the price point we choose.

When will commute costs begin to outweigh the living costs...to insure, maintain, and fill up the tank. 49milesX2= 98miles/25milesgallon(avg)= 3.92 gallons X 2.30 a gallon (avg)= $9.01 X 5days a week = $45.08 a week X 52 weeks = $2344.16. This is only for gas. Add in insurance, oil changes, tire rotation, those little evergreen tree car fresheners, and the agonizing and painful realization that you are spending 8hrs a week or 8*x52 = 416 hrs a year in your car only to travel to work (lets not forget about the time you spend in your car for fun!). Still seems ludacris to me!

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Because this was my office and was too damned expensive to live anywhere nearby. Commute 49 miles/1 hour each way.

summit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jestes

Cyburbian
Check out this site:

Gas Buddy

It is a portal for the U.S. and Canada that lists sites by state posting the lowest and highest gas prices by specific gas stations. Pretty cool.