• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How important are ASLA competitions for students?

Radio Limbo

I'm looking at prospective MLA/MRP programs, and recently I was browsing through back issues of Landscape Architecture Magazine, which I really enjoy. One of the issues that featured the annual ASLA student design and research awards featured a table listing the number of entries from each L.Arch. school over the past few years.

I noticed that, while some schools (e.g. Kansas State, Guelph, UT-Arlington) have several entries each year, some of the other schools that I would expect to have highly regarded programs (Harvard, Berkeley, U. of Washington, Penn, etc.) had no entries at all. This discovery surprised me.

Basically, I'm asking: how seriously do schools take these competitions as part of a student's professional education? What does a school's level of participation say about its program?

Thank you for your replies.