• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How long have you been at your place of employment?

donk

Cyburbian
Today I celebrate 5 years with my current employer.

2 years were good (good working conditions, interesting projects, still learning), 1 year was ok (tolerable everything, implementing items) and the past 2 years have been a living hell (bad working conditions/relationships, same old same old).

How long have you been with your current employer?

Just to add an odd fact, the day I started work here, there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, today none.

Last edited:

tsc

Cyburbian
I have only been at my current job for 16 months.... but I did work at one place for 9 years.....8.5 of which were awful....

If things aren't decent after 2 years.... I suggest moving on if you can....

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
10 years - longest time in one place - both town and job.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I thought I'd be here 3 years -- tops -- getting my ticket punched then on to the "bigger and better". Fifteen plus years later, I'm still here.

Now I know the "bigger and better" are my wife, kids, family and friends. ;-)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
8 years; 7 in zoning/planning, the last one in the trails program.

It's been great except for the last year or so I was in zoning.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Great timing there Donk.
I've been at this job exactly 9 months today.
And so far, so good. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
About 2.5 years. It's been up and down. I am extremely happy to be working for the City I grew up in and love - but sometimes the way things work around here and the lack of meaningul input I have in the decision-making process is really depressing. We've got a new Mayor though, and it looks like some of the priorities will be shifting so hopefully things will improve a bit.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I've been with my company for 4 years, 7 months.

Longest I've ever been at one job, but then again I'm under age 30 so check back with me in 10 years.

My 4 + years have been good. There have been some major Ups and Downs, but that is normal. My only complaint is I want to get outta this cubical and into one of the 2 empty offices, but they ain't going along with me.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am just short of seven years in this job. It is longer than I ever expected. Most of those years have averaged out to be good. For a couple-three years I had to do constant battle with one person, and last year in particular, I had a board full of idiots. While I have weathered it so far, I am starting to feel the need to move on, for my own growth.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
7 Months here and Five years at the job before

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Just over one year.

This is my first job out of planning school, though.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
4 Years. I have a feeling that 30 years from now I'm going to still be here mumbling to myself in the basement like Milton from Office Space.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current position, 8 months. 22 months at the last job. Over 10 years at another agency before that (shoulda stayed there). Submitted an on-line application for an attractive job over the weekend (wish me luck).

H

Cyburbian
1 ½ years, entry level with a small company. I have been happy here, but the ceiling is low and it is time to move on so the count down has begun :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
A little over 22 months now... and still no performance evaluation. I *think* things are going okay. ;)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
3.5 years here, 2.5 at my first job.

Love my current position, beginning to think I may be outgrowing it....if another position gets added to the department for GIS and my position gets reclassified to Asst. Director, I may be here for a while. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Damn. I'm the most complacent, I guess. 12 YEARS! Really like my coworkers, bosses, work environment, diversity of tasks, and, definitely, pay and benefits, and California location. Dislike suburbia, but see no possibility of affording any housing in one of the Bay Area's urban cores, and I hate commuting 10 miles, let alone 50, so relocation is unrealistic.

Tranplanner said:
About 2.5 years. It's been up and down.
Me too - Personally, this job rocks, amazing bennies, very flexible work situation, awesome co-workers. The job description itself - not so hot. Lots of "current planning" and code enforcement. But for a young couple with a family (Rob also works for the town), we absolutely could not beat living and working where we do.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
9 months intern
9 months first full time employment - low pay
25 months - ass of a city manager
22 months - dream job - ass of a county commissioner
15 months - all is good and I have doubled my pay since my first job and have better benefits. Will be here awhile.

martini

Cyburbian
6 months as an intern here. Prolly be here for a while. Job market still sucks. Every one wants that 1-2 years of expereince or that mystical combo of "education/experience" in order to be hired. How the hell are we supposed to get that experience??? I know, just stick it out in the intern thingy. There's a few potential projects that I'd love to have a part in, but they've gotta be approved first.

Rem

Cyburbian
11 years 3 months with current employer but in a few jobs. Probably should have moved by now but love area, good employer (most of the time) and family settled.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Next week I will have been at my current job three years. It's been mostly good. I was lucky enough to land a planning job in the place I most wanted to be (how great is that!). My cowrokers are cool. The county commissioners are great to work with. The work environment is good. We are hoping to get out growth policy adopted and the sub regs revised next year. If I was to get a big pay raise and the County hired a Victoria Secret model as a planner and I would be in heaven.