• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How long is the AICP test?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Better yet! When are they going to tell me if I meet the requirements? It has been Six Weeks as they said already.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The exam is 3 hours long.

It takes AICP forever and a day to get back to applicants....be patient, they're notorious for getting back results weeks after they say they will.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
El Guapo said:
Better yet! When are they going to tell me if I meet the requirements? It has been Six Weeks as they said already.
If they let me sit... they'll let you sit.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:
The exam is 3 hours long.

It takes AICP forever and a day to get back to applicants....be patient, they're notorious for getting back results weeks after they say they will.
Wow... I'm going to drive 5 1/2 hours for a 3 hour test.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
You know... my LA professional exam was two damn days.

Three hours?! That's short!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I did it in about 1.5 hrs. I am always one of the first done in a multi choice test though. I think I was 3rd for the AICP.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
You must not forget to include the 5 hours of drinking after the test, bringing the total time to 8 hours.

I finished in about 2 hours, then I spent 30 minutes going through the entire test to make sure that I marked the correct answer.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I finished in about 2 hours, then sat outside steaming about the exam while waiting for my co-workers to finished. You will be mad when you finish, then you will drink lots of beer as we did. I actually have blocked much of the exam out of my head. I passed, but the fact that I stressed over that stupid test pissed me off. As has been mentioned many times, the study materials have very little relevance to the exam. Enjoy!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
plannerkat said:
I finished in about 2 hours, then sat outside steaming about the exam while waiting for my co-workers to finished. You will be mad when you finish, then you will drink lots of beer as we did. I actually have blocked much of the exam out of my head. I passed, but the fact that I stressed over that stupid test pissed me off. As has been mentioned many times, the study materials have very little relevance to the exam. Enjoy!
I have three tries... I might just give it a go without studying the first time.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I would definitely brush up on "planning trivia" - key cases, planning gurus & their basic theories, and the like, but don't give up months of your life studying for the damn thing. Just my 2 cents.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
You must not forget to include the 5 hours of drinking after the test, bringing the total time to 8 hours.

I met my cohorts immediately afterwords at a mexican place for margaritas. You have given good advice to anyone taking the test.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
giff57 said:
I did it in about 1.5 hrs. I am always one of the first done in a multi choice test though. I think I was 3rd for the AICP.
Giff - I'm always done first on tets too it seems. Its wierd when you get up and everyone looks at you like "OMG you're done?!"

nerudite

Cyburbian
I took the test in a little over an hour... about 1.25 hours or so. However, this is because I have problems with multiple choice tests. I can make any answer work... so to do well on this type of test, I had to *not think*... meaning, I read the question and penciled in the first answer that popped in my head, and then never looked back. If I didn't know the answer, I guessed and skipped it. If I had thought about each question I probably would have failed the test for sure... weird huh?

They'll probably let you know a few days before the final deadline when you have to fork over the $300+ exam fee.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
It took me about 2 hours. I was the first one done in my group. They put us in those desks with the half table. That is so annoying. I like to spread out a little. That was the only complaint I had about the exam.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Whooo Hoooo - I get to pay $300 to take a test! My dues will go up if I pass or I get to pay $300 again, and maybe again, and even maybe once more.... I'm coming out a winner either way! ;)

PlanningPrep

Incase anyone is interested, I wrote the exam last year and took the entire 3 hours. I was probably a little cautious, but I passed.