• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How many books do you read per month?

How many books do you read a month?

• 0 I had trouble reading this thread

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 1-2 I like to cozy up, read a page or two, and fall asleep

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • 3-4 A book a week...I'm a machine!

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • 5 or more I have no life outside of work and by books

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I have an hour commute each way to work, so I usually average about a book a week.

Right now I'm reading "Body of Secrets - An Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency", by James Bamford. Very interesting book, though my worry about it being from the "sensational" school of journalism has come true somewhat.

The last book completed was "Truman", by Dave McCollough - I don't normally go in for biographies, especially of American Presidents - but this one was really really good and definitely put Truman up at the top of my fave-presidents list.

Next on the list is London: A Biography, by Peter Ackroyd - I started reading this a couple of weeks ago but found it really hard to get into on the subway. I think it needs a good glass of scotch and a few evenings out on the patio.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
My reading varies from a book in a weekend to a book a month. Not sure why.

If you like McCollough read "path between the seas" its a THICK book but worth the time

I spent a few years growing up along the Canal and this book is by far the best account I have read of "home"

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I wish I had the time!

These days my reading for pleasure is done on planes to/from vacation, and while sitting on the lifecycle at the gym. Otherwise no time! I'm 1/3 the way through Clancey's Rainbow Six and just can't muster the free time to finish it.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Have an hour train ride to work and back home again, so I go through a couple a week. I tend towards biographies and history - I'm one of those who thinks fiction can't hold a candle to reality. The last few were:

Empire Falls - What a disappointment. This will put me off fiction again for awhile.

Marcus Aurelius - Interesting and good biography, but a little pedantic.

The Frontiersman - An oldie, but very goodie about Simon Kenton and colonial settlement of the Ohio Valley.

Balkan Ghosts - If you haven't read Robert Kaplan, go out and pick up anything he's written. I think he's very good.

The Portable Edmund Burke -That's right, I'm a conservative. In Massachusetts. Trying to maintain my sanity. What're you lookin' at - you got a problem? ; )

Suggestions for future train reading will be greatly appreciated!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just finished Lance Armstrong: It's Not About the Bike it was great.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mostly I read history and biographies with the occasional Steven King type fluff thrown in for excitement. I also just love cosmology and religious texts. I have read all of the great world religious tomes, and I'm still a lost soul.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Some of my all time favs

Contact - Carl Sagan
The Great Gatzby - Fitgerald
Thread that runs so true -cant recall the authors name

Anything Clancy BESIDES the Op Center books (they suck)

D

el Guapo

Capitalist
Last edited by a moderator:
I love reading. That was the best thing about getting out of grad school - reading for fun again! My husband's rich and crazy great aunt sends me all her hardcover books when she's done with them, so I get lots of Oprah books and some self help (is she trying to send me a message?). I usually keep a book in my purse for waiting at the doctor's office, or if i get to a meeting early. That way I don't get *too* crabby about waiting.

adaptor

This month it looks like 2 to 5 (depending how you count a collection), but I go in fits and starts. I plough through a few Sci Fi books or detective stories and then can't finish a short story for weeks. I miss commuting by train, it was great for reserving reading time.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I just got done re-reading The Firm. Still on the Grisham kick, I started reading The Chamber. I bought 10 books from Value Village, a thrift store, for like 50 cents each and I am slowly working my way through them.

Also recently read "Tony Hawk, Occupation: Skateboarder and "Our Band Could Be Your Life," which chronicles the rise of independent/punk/underground bands in the 80's and early 90s. Very excellent books if you are into the punk-skateboard thing.

JNL

Cyburbian
Now I'm renting again and commuting a shorter distance, I've got more time for reading which is great. Recently finished 'Mappa Mundi' by Justina Robson - a futuristic, sci-fi thriller.

I was an English major in undergrad....you'd think I'd run far away from books and reading, but I love them oh so much!!!!!! :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Chet - My complements

Re: Harry Potter.

Delightfully sick, yet charmingly juvenile comment. Good Work.

troy

I used to love reading...I would knock out a book or two per week, but then I started college. Too much required reading really took the joy out of it.

Five years after completing my education, I am just starting to read for fun again. I probably average one or two books per month, but since its hard to hold a baby or paint toy soldiers with a book in your hand, reading is something I only do after the kid goes to sleep and my eyes start to blur a bit.

I personally prefer military histories and military biographies. I also read a bit of science fiction or fantasy occasionally.

The thing I most often read, however, are "Spot" books. As in "Spot Looks at Colors", or "Spot Visits the Farm". My daughter just gets a kick out of those books, and when we read them together , she'll yank them from my hand after every page and start gnawing on the cardboard pages... It usually takes us close to fifteen minutes to finish a ten page book. She just eats them up;)

Once she stops doing that...I've got a few hundred other books waiting for her.

BKM

Cyburbian
I read a lot of noir type detective novels. Just finished a great, if gloomy Elmore Leonard novel "Sinister Heights" I love Leonard. My favorite author, though, is James Lee Burke, and his cajun detective Robichaux. "In the Electric Mists with Confederate Ghosts" left me shivering.

Also like sci-fi. I think my favorite is the "Werewolves of London" trilogy. If El Guapo can deign to read fiction :), he might find some of the concepts in this trilogy interesting.

Finally, a lot of architecture magazines. Architectural Review (a British, doctrinaire modernist, magazine) is my favorite, along with Abitare and the standard American texts.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I used to read *a lot*... especially when it's 30 below and I'm afraid to go outside due to frostbite warnings. Now that it's summer, I maybe read one book a month. So it totally depends on the weather. The book I'm making my way through right now is Gorky Park. I pulled it out of a pile of books my dad was going to give to the library... I have found it quite good.

The last book I read was very, very funny (and appropriate for my recent move)... "How to Be a Canadian: Even if You Are Already One" by Will and Ian Ferguson. It gives hilarious insight into Canadian "culture" and rips apart Canadians like only Canadians know how.

Otherwise, I have very diverse tastes... from classics, to sci fi, to murder mysteries, to poetry... I'm all over the board. I love to read books in places I know very well, like the Kat mysteries set in Sacramento.

kms

Cyburbian
I read in spurts. I might not read for months, then I'll read 3 - 4 in a month's time.

I just finished DooDah: Stephen Foster and the Rise of American Pop Culture. Before that, I read LIncoln Highway Main Street Across America. I'm browsing a guide - The Lincoln Highway (across PA). I began it a few years ago, using the PA Gazetteer as a companion book, but I misplaced the Gazetteer when we moved.

I like history and biographies; occasionally I'll read a novel.

BKM

Cyburbian
Kat rules!

Nerudite: I love the Kat mysteries One of the few "lighter" mystery series I like. I also for some reason like the "Stephanie Plum novels set in Trenton, NJ. A good break from the gloom of Leonard et al.

Anyone for Andrew Vachs-now that is doom and gloom!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I think I am jealous of you all. I get so stressed and burned out from reading/writing at work, it is hard to pick up a book for leisure. I might read two books a year...if someone gives them to me with a high recommendation.

kms

Cyburbian
Have you ever tried listening to audio books? They are a nice way to keep entertained while driving, unless your kids are in the car with you. ;) I know people who use them when they paint or exercise.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I used to read all the time, now i don't have the time to read. I subscribe to several magazines that I get to read when I escape to a coffee shop. Last month I finished re-reading Livy's account of the Second Punic War. I have started reading John W. Powell's journal of his exploration of the Colorado River.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I put zero as a response but that is not entirely true. Technically I read over 100 books per month, including:

The Cat in the Hat
The Foot Book
Any other Dr. Seuss
Go Dogs Go
The entire Angelina Ballerina Series
The Bob "early reader" series
Olivia
Maisy
Lots of pop up books

you get my point. reading for me is just not part of the plan these days.

BKM - I was just going to ask if anyone else was reading the Stephanie Plum books! I, my mom and mother in law are all so hooked - my mother in law said it best - you just don't want to put it down because you want to find out what insane thing is going to happen next.

As for Harry Potter - I hate to say, but I love those stupid books and could give JK Rowling a kick in the a** for waiting so long to get #5 out.

I just read Turning on the Girls, by Cheryl Barnard. yeah - i know the name is a bit much, but its hysterical, yet thought provoking - highly recommend - it's a satire of political correctness that takes place in the not too distant future where women have taken over the world by Femi-Nazis.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
I put zero as a response but that is not entirely true. Technically I read over 100 books per month, including:

The Foot Book
Left foot right foot feet feet feet
oh how many feet you meet

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
We don't have a good bookstore in the town where I live, so it's Amazon.com or Boise, two hours away. There are a couple of used bookstores that I go to once every couple of months, but they recognize me when I come in. I usually have one or two grocery bags (sometimes even a box!) full of used books to exchange. I load up on mysteries, thrillers, and suspense novels. Then I return in a couple of months and trade 'em back in for more.

I like James Lee Burke. Good choice BKM! I haven't spent much time in bayou country, but his descriptions of the landscape and people are compelling.

I have to rely on the Military Book Club and the History Book Club for my non-fiction favs - military history, biographies, and american history.

Jen

Cyburbian
Two books I'm reading right now are History of the the WOrld in Ten 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes and Exploring the Solar System and Other Worlds from National Geographic.

Sometimes I get book titles to read from the obit page. Like Chaim Potok who just passed and now I've his The Chosen and My name is Asher Lev on hold at my local library cooperative.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Chet - My complements

El Guapo said:
Re: Harry Potter.

Delightfully sick, yet charmingly juvenile comment. Good Work.
Always gotta take it one step lower, ya know. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Currently in the bathroom library ...

Dumb White Men by MIchael Moore. Good populist rant. I won't get into too many details, since I'm sure you're all familiar with Michael Moore's work.

Too Good to Be True: The Colossal Book of Urban Legends by Jan Harold Brunvand. I own several of Brunvand's books, and they're a must if you're interested in folklore and/or the origins of urban legends.

The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats by Jim Goad. A sardonic but very well researched and annotated essay on the roots of redneck culture. The point: that blacks and rednecks share a common heritage, and that indentured servitude had te same long-term impact on working-class Southern whites that slavery had on blacks. This is one of the few books I"ve seen that offers a rant oin class warfare from a somewhat right-wing point fo view.

Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found by Sarah Saffian. An ex-girlfriend and very good friend back in New Mexico sent this my way. The author, an adopted child, is found by her birth mother, and finds out that her borth mother went on to marry her birth father and have children of their own. The author has full blood siblings she never knew she had. I'm facing a situation similar to the author. I've got a couple other adoptee reunion books, the titles and authors of which escape me.

You'll also usually find the most recent copy of Car and Driver, Wired and Maximum PC.

Most of my library is non-fiction, with an emphasis on sociology, urban planning, history, urban history, science, computers, folklore, and politics. I also enjoy the "discovef
r yourself while traveling" genre, with authors like Bill Bryson and William Least Heat Moon. Fiction tends to be SF, conemporary western (Edward Abbey), beat authors, and alternative history.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Around 5 or so, but I do have a life and read quite quickly.
I read mostly nonfiction.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I miss reading. I used to read fifteen to twenty books a year. Now I am lucky to finish four or five. My wife seems to think that if I am reading I must not be busy and it is a good time to talk to me. My three-year-old snatches the book out of my hands and hides it. When I read to him at night he is bouncing around and yapping, but not listening. And I read Green Eggs and Ham so well!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
On a good weekend, I can get one or two books out of the way, depending on the book. Otherwise---maybe one a month, if I'm lucky. Working my way through Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon again. Great book. Makes me want to go on a roadtrip of undetermined time and length. Up next: probably Joie de Vivre , about living a not-fast paced life. My mom lent it to me, and I should return it before coffee gets spilled on it.

The One

Cyburbian
Yes...Audio Rules....

kms said:
Have you ever tried listening to audio books? They are a nice way to keep entertained while driving, unless your kids are in the car with you. ;) I know people who use them when they paint or exercise.
I love and prefer audio books.......here's why....
Before I tell you, just know that I used to think audio books were stupid and lazy....but now:

1. They are handy to listen to during a commute to work.
2. You sometimes get the author reading the book, which means you'll get the correct inflection in each sentence and tone that the author intended...can't get this from reading it yourself.....
3. You can get great deals at Barnes and Noble or other book stores, sometimes cheaper than actualy books.
4. Can listen to the book, even unabridged sometimes faster than reading yourself. I prefer unabridged books when available on audio.....

Negatives:
My wife thinks I'm a goofball for listening to books on tape.
Buying new books on tape can be expensive (CD's)
If your not willing to listen to whatever is on sale....selection is limited....

Breed

Cyburbian
One of the biggest drawbacks to not having accessible public transportation -> little time to read.

I generally only read when I'm on vacation. I'll be taking a new book with me for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a huge dent in it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Does Fantasy and Science Fiction mag count? Beyond that, about 1-2 other books a month along with National Geographic.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The One said:
I love and prefer audio books.......
I agree! Our library has several great books on CD. I will often check out the book on CD, if I like it, I will buy a hardcover version for future reading.

donk

Cyburbian
In a good month I'll 4-5 books, right now struggling through a good book that is a hard read - davita's harp. Next in line HST - Hey Rubes, then I'm off to see Tom Wolfe read from his new book and will get a signed copy at the reading.

Also have 3-4 comics that I read.