• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How many colors does the rainbow have?

So How many colors does the rainbow have?

  • Seven! DUH!

    Votes: 11 29.7%
  • As much as the human eye can see

    Votes: 13 35.1%
  • One, black, I'm goth, so what?

    Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Color? I think you mean Colour!

    Votes: 3 8.1%
  • What is this rainbow you speak of?

    Votes: 7 18.9%

  • Total voters
    37

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Color? It isn't about color. It is about power. All of the races, all of the genders and all of the people coming together to take down the Man! Rightious!
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
Actually going back to elementary school... What are the "7" colo(u)rs?
I can remember 6... the primary (Red, Blue, Yellow) and secondary(Green, Orange, Violet)... is the "7th" colo(u)r called something like ultra violet? At least the UV rays are invisible to human eye so it shouldn't count as a colo(u)r, not more than Infra red...

Now, the real amount of colo(u)rs is the number that the eye can see, and I think it's somewhere about 2^24.. or 16 bit in computer-lingo :p
 

jordanb

Cyburbian
Messages
3,232
Points
25
Since frequencies aren't quantized, there are an uncountably infinite number of colors visable to the human eye. HOWEVER! (and here's the clever bit) For any observation of a rainbow, a FINITE number of photons from the rainbow will strike your eye. It stands to reason that if you have a finite number of photons but an infinite number of frenquencies, that each photon will have a DIFFERENT frequency, so all you have to do is COUNT THE PHOTONS and you'll get your answer!

I bet there are some nifty equations and expensive equipment you can use to determine the EXACT LUMINOSITY of the rainbow and then apply some nifty OPTICS EQUATIONS that I CAN'T REMEMBER and never really knew anyway and from that figure out HOW MUCH LIGHT ENTERED YOUR EYE! Note that you'll also have to measure exactly how long you watched it. Then apply PLANCK'S EQUATION or something similar to work out how many photons that equals and then you've got your answer!

ZING!

Now somebody write a research proposal!
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
25,803
Points
61
ROY G. BIV

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
jordanb said:
Since frequencies aren't quantized, there are an uncountably infinite number of colors visable to the human eye. HOWEVER! (and here's the clever bit) For any observation of a rainbow, a FINITE number of photons from the rainbow will strike your eye. It stands to reason that if you have a finite number of photons but an infinite number of frenquencies, that each photon will have a DIFFERENT frequency, so all you have to do is COUNT THE PHOTONS and you'll get your answer!

I bet there are some nifty equations and expensive equipment you can use to determine the EXACT LUMINOSITY of the rainbow and then apply some nifty OPTICS EQUATIONS that I CAN'T REMEMBER and never really knew anyway and from that figure out HOW MUCH LIGHT ENTERED YOUR EYE! Note that you'll also have to measure exactly how long you watched it. Then apply PLANCK'S EQUATION or something similar to work out how many photons that equals and then you've got your answer!

ZING!
No one here thinks your smart, so get on with it.

ROYGBIV ... thats how many.
 

Floridays

Cyburbian
Messages
769
Points
21
This came from a sourceton the net: "the traditional rainbow is sunlight spread out into its spectrum of colors and diverted to the eye of the observer by water droplets." So I suppose it's all in what the observer will see!
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
Cardinal said:
Color? It isn't about color. It is about power. All of the races, all of the genders and all of the people coming together to take down the Man! Rightious!
Mike - are you talking about rainbow pride? ;)
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,995
Points
31
jordanb said:
Since frequencies aren't quantized, there are an uncountably infinite number of colors visable to the human eye. HOWEVER! (and here's the clever bit) For any observation of a rainbow, a FINITE number of photons from the rainbow will strike your eye. It stands to reason that if you have a finite number of photons but an infinite number of frenquencies, that each photon will have a DIFFERENT frequency, so all you have to do is COUNT THE PHOTONS and you'll get your answer!

I bet there are some nifty equations and expensive equipment you can use to determine the EXACT LUMINOSITY of the rainbow and then apply some nifty OPTICS EQUATIONS that I CAN'T REMEMBER and never really knew anyway and from that figure out HOW MUCH LIGHT ENTERED YOUR EYE! Note that you'll also have to measure exactly how long you watched it. Then apply PLANCK'S EQUATION or something similar to work out how many photons that equals and then you've got your answer!

ZING!

Now somebody write a research proposal!


Error...Error....Error.....Will Robinson!

Some of the photons will duplicate the same wavelength of others previous counted. (Strike 1)

There will be some repetition, and you're assuming that a representative sample of the rainbow will strike your eye. (Strike 2)

Originally posted by jordanb when he was high on Crack
Then apply PLANCK'S EQUATION or something similar to work out how many photons that equals and then you've got your answer!
Many leading academic publications will let a scientist reference an equation or "something similar” after all it’s not about getting the science right; it’s about feeling you got the science kind of right. (Strike 3)

Thus, your answer is pseudo-scientific Shinola(tm).

I suggest you masturbate at home and not on this board.
 
Messages
5,352
Points
31
The REAL question here is: How many of you tried to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow????? ;)
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
24
Rainbows SUCK, Unicorns SUCK, LEPRACAUNS REALLY SUCK damnit! Bring back those nifty gunmetal black and wiedish green storm clouds! :)
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Planderella said:
The REAL question here is: How many of you tried to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow????? ;)
Time and time again. But that damn leprachaun keeps moving it!
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,908
Points
57
el Guapo said:
Thus, your answer is pseudo-scientific Shinola(tm).

I suggest you masturbate at home and not on this board.
EG,

Relax.

It was obivously a "psuedo-scientific" joke. ^o)
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,995
Points
31
He's full of shit and I called him on it.

[Sarcasm] "Obviously"? No kidding?

I missed an "obviously" again. I guess Mike D. "obviously" missed it also.[/Sarcasm]

I'll go on record and say I thought he was "Cliff Clavening' again. Can anyone help me by pointing out the posts he "obviously" intended as bullshit replies, from his "obviously" serious replies? Seriously, I can't seem to tell the difference.

[Sarcasm] I blame society and toxic breast milk from my suckling youth.[/Sarcasm]

[Obvious] This post is just me blowing off some steam and was not intended to hurt mendelman’s feelings. Mendelman is someone I respect and have enjoyed here on the cyburbian bandwidth, especially his Frozen Caveman Planner Avatar - which always cracks me up -really.[/Obvious]

Point taken ;)
 

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Messages
1,361
Points
23
Planderella said:
The REAL question here is: How many of you tried to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow????? ;)
You know it! "Gold" is the most important color (or green when I cash that pot of gold for dollar-dollar bills). :D
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
Re: He's full of shit and I called him on it.

el Guapo said:
[B Mendelman is someone I respect and have enjoyed here on the cyburbian bandwidth, especially his Frozen Caveman Planner Avatar - which always cracks me up -really.[/B]

Coffee all over the freakin monitor.
 

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Messages
204
Points
9
What is this indigo? No one really knows what color it is, and you can't reallysee it in the rainbow. Some idiot like Newton probably made is up so the rainbow would seem mor symmetrical.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,908
Points
57
Re: He's full of shit and I called him on it.

el Guapo said:
[Sarcasm]

Thanks, I appericate the reply.

"Obviously";), it was a poor choice of words.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,445
Points
27
Fundraiser for Floridays

After reading Floridays post, I think we need to start raising $ for her (better be a her) silicone, so long as we get to see before and after results.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
Has anybody heard of this?

I heard once that there is a small percentage of the population with vision that actually extends beyond the ultra-violet range than the typical human eye. Thus, they "see" more colors. Each time I see a rainbow I test my vision to determine if I have that ability. No luck.
 

Floridays

Cyburbian
Messages
769
Points
21
Re: Fundraiser for Floridays

SlaveToTheGrind said:
After reading Floridays post, I think we need to start raising $ for her (better be a her) silicone, so long as we get to see before and after results.
Definitely a "HER!" Donations welcome. Are you sure you REALLY want to see the "before" results???? I've seen 13 year olds on the beach down here who can fill out a bikini top better than me! :)
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
24
Re: Re: Fundraiser for Floridays

Floridays said:
....I've seen 13 year olds on the beach down here who can fill out a bikini top better than me! :)
At least you don't have to worry about sagage! :)
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,445
Points
27
Re: Re: Fundraiser for Floridays

Floridays said:
Definitely a "HER!" Donations welcome. Are you sure you REALLY want to see the "before" results???? I've seen 13 year olds on the beach down here who can fill out a bikini top better than me! :)
Yes, strictly for professional reasons.:)
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
Re: Re: Fundraiser for Floridays

Floridays said:
Definitely a "HER!" Donations welcome. Are you sure you REALLY want to see the "before" results???? I've seen 13 year olds on the beach down here who can fill out a bikini top better than me! :)
My buddy Howard does a radio show, I may be able to get you on, and in return for letting him check you out he'll pay for the boobs. You up for it?
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Cardinal said:
Color? It isn't about color. It is about power. All of the races, all of the genders and all of the people coming together to take down the Man! Rightious!
Originally posted by Chet
Mike - are you talking about rainbow pride?
I don't know The Man. I have asked others, and they don't know The Man, either. None of the people who do know The Man - Jesse Jackson, The Rainbow Coalition, or the Pride people - will tell me who he is. All I know is that they want to take him down. Some days I wonder if I am The Man. That might explain a few things. I hope I am not The Man.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
ilikefish0 said:
What is this indigo? No one really knows what color it is, and you can't reallysee it in the rainbow. Some idiot like Newton probably made is up so the rainbow would seem mor symmetrical.
"Indigo"... as in Indigo Girls...the lesbian contribution to the whole rainbow gay pride agenda.
 

jordanb

Cyburbian
Messages
3,232
Points
25
It was a joke.

But it all works out too, EG's criticisms are invalid. I don't have time to explain why right now, maybe when I get home.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,995
Points
31
Admit it, you bullshit on occasion. Its OK. Admission is the first step. Then seek redemption from the throbbing brain of Cyburbia and your sins shall be forgiven. But if you come back here with more pop-physics be prepared for I and others shall smite you.
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Points
25
ilikefish0 said:
What is this indigo? No one really knows what color it is, and you can't reallysee it in the rainbow. Some idiot like Newton probably made is up so the rainbow would seem mor symmetrical.
Hmm.. it's a type of blue, right. Funny thing is, at primary (=elementary?) school we learnt a song that went:

"Red and Yellow and Pink and Blue,
Purple and Orange and Green,
I can sing a rainbow...." etc etc

So pink was somehow substituted for indigo... I guess 1 syllable pink is easier for 5 year olds than 3 syllables for a colour no-one really knows...
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
ilikefish0 said:
What is this indigo? No one really knows what color it is, and you can't reallysee it in the rainbow. Some idiot like Newton probably made is up so the rainbow would seem mor symmetrical.
We could ask this PROUD little lady. I'll bet she knows.
 
Top