• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How many do you have?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My CD director wants me to find out how many code inspectors other 3rd class cities have. We are a city of about 80,000 in just under 10sq. miles. If anyone can let me know how many your community has, and your pop and area, that would get of great help.

Thank you.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael - for those of us outside PA, our "class" ranking for cities varies from State to State. What are the classes so we can compare?

For example, we a re a Wisconsin city of the third class, but are 22,000 population and 35.8 square miles of area. We have 3 inspectors plus 2 others that do erosion control as needed.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Erie, PA
Allantown, PA
Bethlehem, PA
Reading, PA
Harrisburg, PA

Area all 3rd Class Cities.
I am not sure exactly where the density cut off points are, but I know that most are about 70,000 to 120,000 people.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
43,000+ people
7.7 sq. miles

1 zoning inspector
1 building inspector
1 assistant building/zoning inspector
3 minimum housing inspectors
1 electrical
1 plumbing (part time)

Total 8 not counting Engineering/DPW.

Jeff

Cyburbian
PA Class system is also determined by the type and number of elected officials you have. 2nd Class twps have 300 peeps per sq mi or less.

A twp or city does not have to "upgrade" however when they meet this density requirement, they can stay a city of the lower class. I'm not sure what the cutoff is between 2nd and 3rd class cities.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
For comparison, WI's classes are:

1) Cities shall be divided into 4 classes for administration and the exercise of corporate powers as follows:

62.05(1)(a)
(a) Cities of 150,000 population and over shall constitute 1st class cities.

62.05(1)(b)
(b) Cities of 39,000 and less than 150,000 population shall constitute 2nd class cities.

62.05(1)(c)
(c) Cities of 10,000 and less than 39,000 population shall constitute 3rd class cities.

62.05(1)(d)
(d) Cities of less than 10,000 population shall constitute 4th class cities.

Like Mike D, you're not obligated to change classes when eligible, but powers change, esp. between 4th and 3rd.

Milwaukee is the only city in the state exempt from the class rankings. It operates under a special charter.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
We don't have classes in good ol' NH.

Depending on your charter, you could be a city of about 6000 (Franklin, NH) or a town of 34,000 (Derry, NH).