• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How much do N95 masks cost in your area of the country?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I would imagine that most, if not all, purchases are stopped and going to medical facilities. Beats me though...

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no clue. I have a paint respirator and some of those little dust masks. I don't know if they meet the N95 standard.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They simply aren't available to consumers at stores anymore

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Can't even find dust masks or nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight anymore.

I have a Gerson P95 respirator mask that I wear when I'm working with herbicides in the yard. It looks a little bit like a gas mask, so it's not really something I'd wear to a store. I think I paid $15 for it. That was last summer, though.

We have a couple of masks if it comes down to that, but they're not N95 masks. Save them for the folks who need them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I bought a 2 pack about a year ago for woodworking and payed about $10. One was used and I discovered the other one still in the package today and gave it to my wife for work. She just about started to cry. They have already sen some shortages at her hospital.

I also reached out to my other woodworker friends and encouraged them to donate their respiratory PPE to the local hospitals.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yesterday, I bought 10 KN95 masks for $30, from one of the Chinese cheap-stuff-with-free-shipping sites I've used before. Normally, they should go for a buck each. It's part of our plan if one of us gets sick -- worst case scenario, both of us are down and out. Less than ideal -- one of us would be down, the other wearing a KN95.

The CDC says a KN95 is the functional Chinese equivalent of a N95, but the FDA hasn't authorized their use. Hospitals don't use KN95s, so we wouldn't be getting PPE that would be going to them.