• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How Much of Your Country Have You Seen?

How much of your country have you seen?

• All 50 States!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40 - 49 States

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • 30 - 39 States

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • 20 - 29 States

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • 10 - 19 States

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 5 - 9 States

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 1 - 5 States

• All 13 Provinces & Territories!

• 9 - 12 Provinces & Territories

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 6 - 8 Provinces & Territories

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 3 - 5 Provinces & Territories

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 1 - 2 Provinces & Territories

• Other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nerudite

Cyburbian
One of the places I'm thinking of going while "out East" is Maine... if I go, I will have only seven other states to visit before I've seen them all. It seems like a lot of us have been all over North America, so I thought I'd do a little poll to see how we stack up.

And for those of you outside of North America, please pick "other" and explain how much of your own country you have seen.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Pretty much everything east of the Mississippi I've visited by car. Only been to 5 states west of it though.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Looking at a map, I think I have been to 23 states, mostly east of the Miss.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Here are the States I have not yet been to: North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I have a lot more to go for Canada: I've only seen the Yukon, Alberta, Ontario and B.C.

H

Cyburbian
All of the south (including Texas), most in the mid-west, and then the big tourists states like Cali, NY, Colorado and such.

25 in total. Plan / hope on seeing the rest.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Almost all, plus one providence (British Columbia) except for northern New England, Alaska and Hawaii.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've got a lot of Canada left to see...Outside of Ontario, I've been to Quebec, New Brunswick (okay, I passed through on the train), and Nova Scotia. I've only been as far west as St. Sault Marie (in Canada).

In terms of U.S. States, I've been through a few...mostly eastern. Chicago is the farthest west I've ever been.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I think I've been to 26, mostly East, South and Midwest, plus CA and WA - not counting a few airport layovers where I didn't really see anything. I'm dying to get out to the mountain West.

Nerudite - if you decided to visit Maine, I can give you lots of suggestions on places to go. I grew up outside of Portland. It's a beautiful state!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Just 11states and that's including ones I drove through once as a kid without seeing much of them (MD, DE). I've also been to Ontario and Spain (and London if you count spending 5 hours sleeping in Heathrow). I have never even been to Vermont which is only about 2 hours away. The farthest west I've been is Niagra Falls. I'm always amazed at how much people here have travelled and how many places some of you have lived.

El Feo

Cyburbian
All of the lower 48, 3 Mexican states, and 5 Canadian provinces.

Since I no longer have a job that requires travel (or an expense account), I don't know when I'll get to Alaska or Hawaii.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I voted other, since I've been to 20 states (NH, ME, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, MI, IL, MO, CO, CA, KY, TN, GA, FL) and 5 provinces (NS, PEI, NB, QC, ON).

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
One State - Two Worlds

I don't keep track of the states I've been to. I don't see the point - if you say you've been to Michigan because you flew into Detroit Metro and hopped aboard one of the "limosine" services to see a Red Wings game at the Cobo, then you haven't been to Michigan. The Upper Penninsula is whole 'nother world, my friend!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I've got the South (except for the Carolinas and Texas) and the Midwest covered. My gaps are in the places where it's usually hard to find a brutha -- New England (except for Connecticut) and the Plains (except for the Dakotas and Montana).

Total: 21 states and 4 provinces (Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia.

JNL

Cyburbian
I have travelled all round my country with my family in a campervan - one summer we did the North Island, and the next summer the South Island. Was a good thing to do except I do not recommend squashing a family of 6 into a campervan for extended periods of time!!!! The only place I haven't been is the deep south.

Sure my country is small but our travels took in all kinds of landscapes, including mountains, glaciers, desert, forests, lakes, and of course many beaches.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
22 states and DC plus Ontario

My favortie are the Great Lakes States.

BKM

Cyburbian
I have lived in:

Indiana (hometown)
Illinois (Bradley University)
Virginia (UVA Masters)
Florida (internship)
Tennessee (Knoxville job)
California (now)

Visited:
Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, NY, NH, VT, Conn, Maine, WV, NC, SC, GA, Oregon, Wash, Nev, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi,
Alabama, Arkansas,

Also: Ontario and Quebec

Oops. Forgot several :) : Idaho, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Vermont, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Alaska and Hawaii are the only ones left on my list. I may do Alaska this fall.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Within Chile and Argentina: I have been and traveled through out most of my country, the only exceptions are the XI and XII Regions (Aisen and Magallanes) and a part of the X (which is the Region where I live) and the main problem or reason is that the roads to get to those places are either gravel and dirt roads, or through Argentina(*) or by boat. The provinces where I've traveled the most are: Cautin (Temuco), Valdivia (quite obvious), Osorno, Llanquihue (Puerto Montt), Chiloe.

In Argentina I've been to San Martin de los Andes, Bariloche, and Esquel.

(*)There is no direct terrestrial rout within Chile to get southern than Puerto Montt, to go south you have to take one or more ferrys, or cross to Argentina(to the boooooring patagonia)

Within the US and Canada: I've been to NY,NJ, PA(***), Washington DC, MD(**), Ontario (Toronto), Quebec (Quebec, Montreal)

(**) Passed though when going to DC by road.
(***) I don't remember going to Philly though.... :p

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hmmmm. Texas and Arizona of course.. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Hawaii, California, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. Not much.

donk

Cyburbian
Oops miss counted when I voted.

7 provinces Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS, PEI, BC, alberta (just a stop over on the plane).

13 US States

Michigan, NY, ME, VT, Conn, Mass, NJ, Delaware, DC, Ohio, Penn, Maryland, RI.

All be car, some just driving through on my way to other places.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
donk said:
Oops miss counted when I voted.

7 provinces Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS, PEI, BC, alberta (just a stop over on the plane).

13 US States

Michigan, NY, ME, VT, Conn, Mass, NJ, Delaware, DC, Ohio, Penn, Maryland, RI.

All be car, some just driving through on my way to other places.
Come on donk....I know you've visited the "red barns" of NH! ;)

jmf

Cyburbian
By car I have been to: Provinces - NS, NB, PE, NL (lived in Newfoundland and in Labrador for a while), QC, ON. States - ME; NH; VT; MA; RI; CT; NY; PA

Flying to: Alberta and also PA; DC (went to MD and VA); and SC (went to GA and NC)

7 provinces, no territories
14 states

I have the Eastern Seaboard pretty much covered.

donk

Cyburbian
Can't believe I forgot NH. I've never really stopped there though, except at the red barns.

Hopefully I'll be seeing more of it shortly.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I've been to every state on the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida, plus California, Arizona, and Washington. The flights over the midwest and stops in various airports don't count.

Someday I'd like to see more of the U.S. When I was a teenager, I had dreams of "vagabonding" across the country. I'd also like to see more of Canada than Nova Scotia (recent) and Montreal (Expo '67).

martini

Cyburbian
Been to a bunch of states, but haven't seen nearly enough of them. I've also been through Canada, though again, not nearly enough of it.

I've managed to hit most of the eastern states(MN WI MI IL IA MO TN KY OH WV VA NC NY PA MD RI), and western(NB SD ND WY MT CO UT WA OR NM KS OK TX AR), but none of the south. Furthest south I've been is Dallas(don't wanna go back again). Not really sure if I WANT to go to the south either(sorry southies).

Michele Zone

BANNED
I am not sure. I don't track it. I have not been to New Mexico. And I would think there are probably a few other conus states missing, up aroung The Great Lakes. Never been to Hawaii or Alaska.

We have driven across this country twice -- once from Washington state to Georgia and, 4 months later, from Georgia to California. We traveled 5500 miles that year in order to move about 1200 or so. And I have been up and down the East Coast, from Florida to Maine. Lived in Kansas for a time and drove to Georgia repeatedly, taking a different route several times. There was a time I could drive from Georgia to Kansas without a map. lol.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Had to go with other, since I've visited 28 states, mostly the South and the West, the Nation's Capital and three Canadian provinces.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
martini said:
Been to a bunch of states, but haven't seen nearly enough of them. I've also been through Canada, though again, not nearly enough of it.

I've managed to hit most of the eastern states(MN WI MI IL IA MO TN KY OH WV VA NC NY PA MD RI), and western(NB SD ND WY MT CO UT WA OR NM KS OK TX AR), but none of the south. Furthest south I've been is Dallas(don't wanna go back again). Not really sure if I WANT to go to the south either(sorry southies).
So, martini, I'm curious....how did you get through most of the Midwest and not go through Indiana? I'm impressed, that takes some serious road-mapping.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
The more important question is "where is home".

22 US States

12 Forign Countries:

Canada (Ontario)
West Germany
East Germany
Belgium
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Austria
Italy
Lichtenstien
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
Kuwait

martini

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
So, martini, I'm curious....how did you get through most of the Midwest and not go through Indiana? I'm impressed, that takes some serious road-mapping.
Doh! figgered I'd miss one. There's a reason Lisa and I named it Indianoplace. Wasn't all that memorable ;). Actually, southern Indiana was really pretty(forested, rolly hills, limestone escarpements), the rest of it though...boooorrring!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Hey, it ain't all bad. We do have a pretty top-notch art museum, among other things. And yeah, southern Indiana is pretty. They got all the good topography.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's easier to list the states where I haven't visited.

Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Alaska
Hawaii
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Idaho

That makes 36 visited states, and the District of Columbia. I'll be adding Iowa tomorrow when I drive through there. If I get this job in Portland, I can pick a route that will cover all the Northern Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states, leaving just Alaska, Hawaii and parts of New England.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-Lets see, New York, Massachuesetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, New Jersy, Conn., R.I., West Virginia (never going back, I can still hear the banjos), Virginia, D.C., North & South Carolina, Georgia, Flordia (America's wing), Tennesee, Kentucky, Texas, and Calafornia. As for Canada only Ontario so far although I hope to see Quebec and the Maritime providences soon.

pandersen

Cyburbian
I've visited all provinces and territories with the exception of Nunavut.

Visited about 1/2 of the continental U.S.of A.

I've also visited most of the Benalux countries Scandinavia.

Next on the list - Australia

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
I've got 25 states by my count. I've missed NV, ID, MT, WY, UT, NM, ND, SD, NB, OK, IA, MN, MI, WI, IN, PA, DE, NJ, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME, HI. Halfway there! As you can see, I've been all over the place. Southeast is pretty much covered, as is the lower east coast. Got the west coast down too. Still missing are most of the midwestern states, northern states, and new england. (I'm stuck in a southern frame of mind)

I've been to British Columbia, but I didn't think on a bus for 30 min counted, so i didn't vote for it.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Lived in:
NJ, CA, UT, CO, IN
Spent some time in:
NY, VA, FL, MI, TX, ID
Visited/ Driven through
PA, OH, IL, IA, NE, WY, KS, MO, KY, WV, MD, DE, TN, MS, AL, MT, NV, SC, NC

I have vacationed in Ontario and Quebec, Canada

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I've visited all provinces in Canada except for Newfoundland. Haven't been to any of the Territories.

As far as US states, not many: Oregon, California, Washington, Montana, Maine (maybe one other New England state, but I'm not sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.