• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How often do you use resources from APA?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
One of my coworkers tossed his copy of Planning into the trash bin the other day when I handed it to him. He is of the opinion that the only value that the APA offers is the letters behind his name.

It got me wondering what what other resources that APA offers so I started navigating around their website and there is a ton that I was not aware of.

What resources from the APA do you use and how often? I have used a ton of the live webinars from the Ohio chapter for CM credits, and after finding some of the other stuff, I am going to be using a lot more.

DVD

Cyburbian
I use ICMA more than APA national for actual info. I don't feel I get a lot out of APA as a member and really think they should create more benefit in that line. Think how much more valuable AICP would be if I had access to technical information or helpful advice at no cost. You know, like ICMA does. It would influence more people to take the test and more companies would make sure they would have an AICP planner to get access to that valuable stuff. At least in theory.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
They made the PAS reports an included benefit finally, which is positive. They actually have a fair bit of stuff--it is just difficult to access. APA really needs to do some work publicizing things available to members. The state chapters and local sections can help them with this if they'll provide the context and examples.

Masswich

Cyburbian
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, actually. APA does try to disseminate best practices, but is stymied by the differing state laws that make it hard to take an idea from another part of the country and just simply adopt it. That's why the local chapters tend to be more helpful. I wish they kept a library of model ordinances, that's something I would use.

Planners often disparage APA but I am not sure any professional membership association offers much more than they do. I do like the Urban Land Institute but they are really expensive if you want to get involved past the Associate Member level.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I find Planning mag acceptable.

Zoning Practice is useful 75% of the time.

PAS is very useful and I'll willing pay the price for it.

Other than the above, National doesn't work much for me, but my state chapter and our regional conference is where it's at.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I am not an APA member as I am no longer in Planning and Zoning. I still read Planning magazine. I may be a bit biased, as my sister is the editor in chief.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I tend to flip through Zoning Practice and the Planning mag but I'll be honest, I seldom read it cover-to-cover. When I'm working on ordinance changes, I do often search APA's resources on my topic just to give me a better feel for what's happening on specific subjects in other communities.

Looking for some introductory info for my new Planning Board, I turned to APA. 'The Commissioner' is somewhat interesting for them to peruse but it was a challenge to find really rudimentary material; instead it's articles that might be interesting to a Planning Board member (which is good too).

In the end, I ended up giving my own presentation which likely turned out better anyway.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have in the past used the resources. However, here lately, not very much. The old Planner's Web was a lot more useful.