How old were you when you got your first planning job?

Hink

OH....IO
Internship at 20. Full job at 23. I have to work until 55 though because my state sucks... ;)

After acquiring two master degrees, technically I got my first 'planning' job at 34 - and I consider myself lucky. But in reality I've been doing full time planning work since I was 30, just not in position title. Wish I could gotten started earlier, but the great recession robbed me of about 5-7 years of work experience.

I'm 32 and starting my first planning job this month. No prior experience in the field. Several years in the nonprofit sector (mostly human services and environmental orgs) + a related Master's degree. Very excited to be where I am, but as others have mentioned, I consider myself lucky. It was really by chance that I came upon this position. That said, I cannot stress the importance of informational interviews enough.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Interned out of undergrad at a couple places for a year, and started working full time at 23. That was almost 7 years ago. The great recession forced me to move from the Midwest to the SW in order to remain competitive in the field, and now that I'm here and settled in I hope I never have to leave.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
First planning job at 22. My title was planning director in title only. It was a one man shop with a heavy dose of code enforcement. That was 19 years and 9 months ago. Time flies.

AG74683

Cyburbian
First planning job at 22. My title was planning director in title only. It was a one man shop with a heavy dose of code enforcement. That was 19 years and 9 months ago. Time flies.
I should probably clarify, this is exactly the same for me, although my code enforcement load is complaint only so it's not really the majority of my job. Most of mine is daily permits and handling literally every question that comes in this office about everything.

I was 24 when I got my first planning gig, 33 when I got my first planning director job. I've been in the profession nearly 29 years now.

At 33 years old I got my very first Urban Planning job (career). This was nearly 10 years after graduating with a master's from an accredited program! Most of my time before that I had clerical records management and Remote Sensing mapping jobs before that.

mercdude

Cyburbian
^ brother (sister?), I feel your pain. Planning is not an easy profession to break into. It takes years to just get enough experience to become 'qualified' for an entry level job (if you can find one). Things are slowly improving, but until we have a building boom that can fuel the career of an entire generation of planners, it's slim pickings. I find it especially ironic that many of us got interested in planning because of the building boom; which meant, we missed the boat by the time we were 'trained' and ready for employment.

csld09

Cyburbian
Contract work while tooling around and not finishing my graduate degree: 33.

Full time, benefits, real-deal: 35, six months after the ink was dry on the diploma.

Ringo

Cyburbian
26, as a Land Use Planner.
Prior to that, worked 3 years for a General Contractor in the Estimating Dept.
Although at the time working for the GC I had wished I held a planning position, learning to read construction drawings, methods, and learning the lingo of architects/engineers/developers has been highly helpful.
I say if you can't find a planning job, find one in an allied field which will provide you with skills employers seek. By the time I finished, I could read construction drawings like a book, 5th-grade reading level.