• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How pitiful is this?

jestes

Cyburbian
I am sitting here in a hotel in Mobile, Alabama typing this on stupid web tv because I can't log on from here with my normal dial up connection. Paying a stupid 10.99 plus tax for 24 measly hours of access just so I can maintain some sort of connection with the real world. I won't even be able to see replies to this thread until next monday. Since we are all slaves to the machine, how many of you have been in situations where you could not access the net for an extended period of time and how did you handle it. I AM GOING NUTS HERE.

Dragon, I hope that you are handling things fine in the county. I would hate to get a call that means I would have to leave this paradise early.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well if I don't have internet access it's usually not the end of the world.

You could always watch the bvest mindless tv shows you can find

or

Since you're a Planner, go for walk and analyze the built environment around your location.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
You know what I think is pitiful? mendleman joins Teh Clube and doesn't even announce in a new thread. For shame. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, I didn't want to be a blatant post padder like some people around these parts. :-D ;-)

H

Cyburbian
Yes, it drives me crazy when I cant get online. I am such an email junkie :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Poor jestes. That really is a pitiful thing. It's one thing to go on vacation and have so much fun you don't miss the internet, but when it's abruptly yanked away... only had that once, when my computer's hard drive crashed. Oh, and when my cable modem got zonked by lightning. No Cyburbia, no mapquest, no school research for the kid, worst of all no email.

Does your hotel have government access TV? That would at least be something familiar. Are there any Cyburbians in Mobile?

JNL

Cyburbian
H said:
Yes, it drives me crazy when I cant get online. I am such an email junkie :p
Me too - I start to get the shakes when I'm away too long ;)

I make sure I set up 'vacation mail notification' so that friends and work contacts know I'm away and I keep in contact with friends via cell-phone text messaging (which is apparently a lot more popular here than in the US). We have technology that allows you to download all your emails to your cellphone so my Dad does that when he's on the train to and from work.

Otherwise, all you can really do is wait! :-\

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I do okay on vacation and extended stays away from the ranch. If I'm near a university or public library, I'll seek out a computer there.

Mom and Dad used to have a dreadfully slow connection to AOL using a 133 MHz PC. I built them a new box last year with parts salvaged from a PC I upgraded, and they have cable broadband now.

I have a spare computer at home, just in case.

If there's absolutely, positively no way I'm going to have devent Internet access, I can survive. I do try to let Chet, El Guapo and the mods know before I leave civilization, so they can take care of things if something goes terribly wrong.

Oh ... there's also a solution that only jordanb would truly appreciate. My Slashdot 1337 skillz pwns!

Chet said:
*I hear Banjos!*
There's always the Alabama Internet.

:D

tsc

Cyburbian
never been to Bama... but if I did... I would go check out the sites or go watch some sports game at the hotel bar.... then report back to Cyburbia with the colorful stories of all the new friends you make from a "night at the hotel bar."

Dragon

Cyburbian
jestes said:
Dragon, I hope that you are handling things fine in the county. I would hate to get a call that means I would have to leave this paradise early.
I could cause some anarchy if you like. Then you may be forced back home :d: .

You should have sent me, my family lives 20 minutes from there, and I could be having my mom cook dinner tonight :p .

There is plenty to do in Mobile. Go to the Imax Theater and catch whatever is playing on the thing. Go inspect the USS Alabama, the sub, and plane hanger they have there so that you will have an idea if your kids will like it. Hit your hotel gym and pool after sitting in session from 8-5 all day. They have places down the street from you that has live bands.

Hang in there guy, only 2 more days until it is done. Have a few beers and run around the hotel like a mad man :b: :b: . That will keep me amused as I come to bail you out 8-! :-D .

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have problems if our computer at home is down (there are so many things I rely on now via the Internet)... but when I'm on vacation or something, it's no big deal to be away from computers. I'm going on vacation in May, so I'll be away from the computer for well over a week. I think I'll survive though. ;)

ludes98

Cyburbian
I have not been able to live without the internet since I ditched dial up in 1998. My wife thought internet access was no big deal until our cable modem died and we were without for a few days. We use it for so much now; it is major inconvenience if it is more than a day or two without.