• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How serious do you take the "Homeland Security Advisory System"

How seriously do you take the "Homeland Security Advisory System"

• Red - I see red every time the media rehashes this stupid idea

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Orange - I don't really give an Ashcroft

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yellow - I'm cautiously optimistic. I can have a mullet and still understand it

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Blue - This whole thing is depressing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green - Tom Ridge is the second coming of the Greatest American Hero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an entirely different opinion, that I'm pleased to explain below:

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

kms

Cyburbian
The color-coded system just seems so elementary, or do I mean kindergarten? I expected something more from a high-level official, or at least something more military--sounding. This looks like little more than a traffic signal; I guess it can to be understood by everyone, regardless of intellect or training.

It's just what the kids need - primary colors to associate with the country's level and/or sense of security.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
And just what is it supposed to mean?

Fire Danger: Low-Intermediate-High can easily translate into "If I drop a match here what is the chance that it will start a forest fire?" Or you could know that campfires are banned due to fire danger.

What of this system? "Um, there's a rumor that there's a chance that something, we don't know what, may happen sometime, maybe soon, somewhere, maybe in the United States, so be alert and look out for whatever it is that we don't know."

Once again, another attempt to keep terror front in people's minds, play up war talk and rack up a score for the terrorists. Doesn't the administration get it? Terrorism is about disrupting our lives. They don't have to bring down a building to do it. All they have to do is get us to change our patterns of behavior. How easy are we going to make it for them?

It just makes me happy that SOMETHING has been accomplished by the anniversary, with all the time and money and energy that has been spent, thank god because now they've proven to me that they weren't dumping all our federal dollars down the toilet. (That was heavy sarcasm)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Whatever happened to the good 'ol DEFCONs?

Hey, we all watched Matthew Broderick in "Wargames". We can understand that system. What was wrong with it? Some kind of Central Command patent infringement?

poncho

Cyburbian
Will it ever be on green or even blue for that matter ever again. I doubt it very seriously. And it does seem very arbitrary.

sal95

Cyburbian
Terrorists- "Hey, the Homeland Security System is on green/blue. . .they are not expecting anything. . .time to blow something up!"

There is no way that it will ever go to blue or green. . .that would be just begging for trouble. Terrorists like to strike at unexpected times. . .I think the whole homeland security thing is really to let them know that we are listening to their little conversations and we are waiting for them.

I'm ready for this 9/11 stuff to be over! Today, the soldiers at the guard shack were back to the kevlar helmets and they now even have a bunker set up and pointing a M-16 at everyone who drove into post (this is the first time I've seen this). No place like home. <sigh>

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Anyone remember the doomsday clock? How close are we to nuclear annihilation?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Its all feel-good propaganda.

Until we allow free and duly qualified citizens to openly carry we will always be a nation afraid of the next big one. One gun in the hands of one trained and responsible civilain on each plane September 11, 2001 would have saved about 3000 lives (more or less) and may have prevented a war. - JMHO

The ranking should be measured in the distance you are away from your gun(s).

Alert - Strapped on tight and locked and loaded.
High - In the trunk, desk or nightstand.
Medium - In the gunsafe where they normally belong.
Low - I sold them to raise money for the Afgan Childrens' Fund.

Guapo is at Medium and holding as he always is.

Guapo wants to know:
When was the last time you went to the range?
Do you take personal responsibility for your family's safety?
Are you prepared to take a life to defend you or your families lives?

Sorry to go all Guapo on you.

troy

Re: Its all feel-good propaganda.

El Guapo said:
Guapo wants to know:
1. Eight years ago when I was trying to keep my roommate from spending his half of our rent on yet another gun...
2. Yes, but through passive security, personal awareness, and neighborhood organization, and also with a baseball bat, or by tooth and nail.
3. To defend my family... YES! Myself? Maybe.

Cardinal

Cyburbian

El Guapo said:
Guapo wants to know:
Range - It has been several years since I went to a range. I once shot 298 of 300 bullseyes. I'm probably somewaht rusty - more like 95% now, I'd guess.

Safety - Well, I live alone, but I guess I take responsibility for the safety of the things I care about. I'll shoot any cat that comes into my yard (I enjoy birds).

Kill! - I'd kill to protect me, my family, friends, neighbors, strangers, etc. No need to think about that one.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Last i saw in July they bump'd the doomsday clock up to 11:58 (i think) its the closest its ever been to midnight so the TV guy said

i think its all GD hogwash and ive had enough

come in my house ill kill you with one shot and let the dogs have you for a treat, the beagle might even hump your leg in the process

hows that for pissed off and angry this AM?

El Feo

Cyburbian

El Guapo said:
El Guapo wants to know:
1. About two weeks ago, witha friend across the border in NH. Note to Massachusetts authorities: My guns are still back in Kentucky, and that's why I don't have a MA FID card. Honest.
2. Well, it's not completely personal. Samuel Colt would help out (after I get my MA FID card, of course), along with Misters Hillerich & Bradsby.
3. It wouldn't be in the interests of anyone's long-term health to try and find out.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais

El Guapo said:

Guapo wants to know:
1. About 10 years ago when I was in the Army Reserves. I used to be all gung-ho about guns and such, but I've come to the conclusion that most people really should not have them.

2. Yes. I'm not armed (this is Canada, eh?), but I'll protect them anyway I can.

3. I would be willing to take a life, or sacrifice my own in defense of my family and my fellow citizens (be it from terrorism or even just hooliganism).

Ontario has just announced a new volunteer civil defense corps - think I may look at that. I'd go back to the reserves, but while my wife loves the dress uniform (grenadier guards outfit), she hates the thought of me playing with guns.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member

El Guapo said:

Guapo wants to know:

Sorry to go all Guapo on you.
1. Does the riflery range at summer camp count?
2. I take safety of my family very seriously.
3. Yes, without hesitation if left with no other alternative.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
1. it's been a while, but seeing as my defensive weapon is a short barreled 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot, giff doesn't need much accuracy.

2. YES

3. Without hesitation.

Floridays

Cyburbian
No guns here -- although I have been to the range a few times!

I will say it was kind of creepy to wake up this morning in Ft. Lauderdale and watch the news about the 2 cars detained near Naples. Alligator Alley is still shut down. I guess we never know who will strike and when or where. Not sure that a security alert is going to solve that issue!