• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

How smart are you?

How smart are you?

• 10. There is no one in the world smarter than I.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 9. I am as smart or smarter than most Nobel Prize winners.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. I am as smart as a Rhodes Scholar and consider myself a mental powerhouse.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 7. I am considered to be among the smartest people in my field.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 6. I am very smart and I feel mentally superior to most other people I meet.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • 5. I am smarter than the average bear and I can follow a game of Jeopardy.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • 4. I am somewhat smart. I am about average.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 3. I get most jokes I hear and I enjoy network television.

• 2. I am very challenged by the Wheel of Fortune.

• 1. I have Velcro ties on my shoes and my name is on my shirt.

• 0. “Flowers are pretty.” – Ralph Wiggam

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I feel somewhere in the 5-7 range although depending on the day it could be even less. Age definately is playing a part. Things that I needed to remember before are just fine written down somewhere I can find them.
The words of wisdom that got me through college were "as I look around the room do I really see anyone that is that much smarter than I am" invariably the answer was no.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm somewhere in the 5 -7 range, too. Some circumstances I won't go into didn't encourage me to work to my potential, though.

donk

Cyburbian
I voted somewhat smart, but I do feel mentally superior to most of the people that I run into in the course of a day, but that is not hard where I live.

In my planning district about 30-35% of the population has not/did not graduate from HS. If you are not talking about fixin' motors, killing animals or cuttin wood they will give you a blank stare. There is little appreciation for the arts or history.

When i visit other places and speak to other people then I realize that I am about normal or maybe slightly less then normal. But it could just be I am out of practice dealing with people.

Here is a link to the data

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/profil01/Details/details1edu.cfm?SEARCH=BEGINS&PSGC=13&SGC=1309&A=&LANG=E&Province=13&PlaceName=northumberland county&CSDNAME=Northumberland County&CMA=&SEARCH=BEGINS&DataType=1&TypeNameE=Census Division&ID=40

Habanero

Cyburbian
I would say I'm smarter than the average bear (hell, how smart could a bear be?) in my own little realm of things. There are many things I'm still learning and want to learn, many things I know nothing of and wish it to stay that way, and some hard lessons I'm sure to come across

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm the smartest one here so far! Woo hoo! In your face, dummies! (does his victory dance, followed by the Lambeau Leap)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I voted 6. Working for a City, I feel smarter than most people that come in here. Afterall, none of them seem able to read and understand a zoning ordinance.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'd say I'm about 6.... I think I'm smarter in some areas (specially arts, literature and science) than my peers :D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A solid six

Especially after the night at the bowling alley on Friday, Jeeesus it was like a white trash convention rolled into town.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

BKM

Cyburbian
I voted "5" overall.

The problem with questions like this is that there are so many different kinds of "intelligent." I love to write arguments, am a bit of a bookwork, feel I have a pretty good appreciation of architecture and "the arts," and enjoy political arguments and discussions (except when I get too carried away :) ). So, on that, I would say a "seven."

But give me a set of tools to do my own car work, a stack of lumber to do my own home repairs, etc-and I freeze up. No patience, no common sense, clumsy, etc. Even though as a confirmed nerd I would have denied it when I was the "last one chosen" for team sports :(, I think athletics is another kind of "intelligence." And, people skills, don't forget people skills.

So, its a complicated question.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: A solid six

bturk said:
A solid six
Too bad, dude. The ladies must be disappointed that you don't have a, um... 'bigger head.'

You knew it had to go there. Just reaching for that lowest common denominator.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Ten!

I am an intellectual weapon of mass destruction!

I am a biological smart bomb!

Don't get amBushed by my superior intellect!

...uhhh...

Okay, I really don't know how smart I am, but I voted "10" anyway, just for giggles.

A solid 5, and a 6 depending upon where I am. When I was in Anderson, I felt like a genius, but then, the 1990 census showed a 40% highschool dropout population. And when I visit my parents in rural upstate NY, I really have to watch myself in terms of intellectual superiority. I get so frustrated with Rob's family for their snobbery, but then catch myself doing it to.

But back on topic: since taking this job, in a wealthy albany suburb, i'm back to feeling just normal. lots of doctors and lawyers and techno geeks here.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well untill i moved here i felt like a 6 no problem, but DC is a brain power house (just ignore the starving brain suckers up on cap hill) i do feel dumb sitting in traffic with all the Harvard and Yale stickers around on other cars.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I agree with BKM. I'm always amazed that other people actually know how to actually do things, while I interpret subdivision regs for a living and say "sprawl is bad."

When it comes to street smarts I'm a 10. I can smell a pig from a mile away, suckers.

donk

Cyburbian
But give me a set of tools to do my own car work, a stack of lumber to do my own home repairs, etc-and I freeze up.
The theory I have been taught on these items is to ask yourself, are you as "smart" or "able to learn" to do it as the person you are going to hire? if you answer yes then you can figure out how to do it yourself. Using this approach, I have replumbed my house, can do most minor repairs on my car, can do minor wiring, carpentry and drywalling (not so good at the drywall). I've also taught myself quite a few computer programs, well enought to get by with them.

I've also had a few good teachers on "how to figure things out".

It then becomes a choice if you get someone else to do it not a trapped feeling.

There are very few things I won't tackle, if I have the time and can sit and think what would the rationale method to undertake this task be.

People skills on the other hand can be a little wonky, can't sit and think things through fast enough.

Maybe I should change my answer from a 4 to a 5 or 6.

prudence

Cyburbian
The bulk of society makes my head bleed, and life is their "showcase for ignorance."

I post and read cyburbia for the simple fact that this is a gathering of intelligence. You post-ers are very bright, and I look forward to reading the differing opinions of intelligent people.

BKM

Cyburbian
Rationally, donk, you may be right. I still believe that people have a "knack" for different things. One might be "smarter" than a "good mechanic," but their innate knack, when combined with a career of experience (and a garage full of expensive tools and equipment) means that I would still rather trust the blue collar mechanic than buy a manual and try to fix my car myself.

However, a lot of it is a combination of fear, laziness, clumsiness, and impatience. So "intelligence" is only part of it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Donk's comments have me remembering this theory, which I tend to believe:

"Psychologist Howard Gardner identified the following distinct types of intelligence. They are listed here with respect to gifted / talented children.
1. Linguistic - Children with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.
2. Logical-Mathematical - Children with lots of logical inteligence are interested in patterns, categories and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.
3. Bodily-kinesthetic - These kids process knowledge through bodily sensations. They are often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking.
4. Spatial - These children think in images and pictures. They may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing, building with Legos or daydreaming.
5. Musical - Musical children are always singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss. These kids are often discriminating listeners.
6. Interpersonal - Children who are leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating and who seem to understand others' feelings and motives possess interpersonal intelligence.
7. Intrapersonal - These children may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated."

El Feo

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"
At my MENSA meeting last night, we were discussing how Shakespeare cribbed this from Socrates.

Crap, I just realized my fly's been open all day.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
For an undergrad anthroplogy class, I did a paper on the "sub-culture" of planners. I believe that persons of above to well above average intelligence are drawn to the profession.
--but don't ask me what 7x6 equals!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Hey Mike how about 6 x 7
Sometimes you can figure it out if you look at it a little differently!

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Feo said:

At my MENSA meeting last night, we were discussing how Shakespeare cribbed this from Socrates.

LOL... that reminds me of the Simpsons where the MENSA club ran Springfield. One of the best episodes. :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
El Feo said:

You know, I aced the MENSA test they gave at my High School (My HS was all academic). Then they congratulated me and said, "Welcome to MENSA!" I replied, "Welcome hell... I'm not joining a group full of dorks. I just wanted to pass your silly test!"

I love telling that story...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
When I was in 8th grade I was selected to become part of the school's "Math Counts" team. It is like academic decathalon, except only math. Well it surprised my parents so much that they forced me to join the Math Counts team even though I sucked at math and hated it with a passion. Well during the first test I made sure that I answered all of the problems wrong so that they would kick me out. It worked. I failed the test and wasn't eligible for the team.

My entire life I have had this hatred for all things mathematic.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin, I know the feeling. In 3rd grade I was selected to be a part of a study on speed reading. They taught a group of us the techniques and teste us routinely for 2 years.

I hated it at the time, but honestly I think it helps (except when I speed read threads and hit "edit" instead of "quote" and blow up EL Guapo's musings). I'm almost always the first done with tests and my topic comprehension is high - you learn to weed through at get the important points and disregard the fluff.

Even to this day, I am occassionally contacted for an interview for the long term case study. Its kind of creepy.

el Guapo

Capitalist
bturk said:
...Even to this day, I am occassionally contacted for an interview for the long term case study. Its kind of creepy.
That doesn't explain everything. For instance the Monkey fixation, the urge to ram metal through appendages and...well I could go on for a long time, but you understand. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:

That doesn't explain everything. For instance the Monkey fixation, the urge to ram metal through appendages and...well I could go on for a long time, but you understand. ;)
nipples are appendages?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Two answers - one post. Conserving precious posting space for the war effort.

Q#1 - Yes, some nipples wish to spring free like other larger appendages. I have a story, but I am afraid she may be a frequent visitor to this board, so I'll just keep that one to myself.

Q#2 - I answered "6" But in my heart I feel I am a 6.5687. :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm not sure I want to read a thread about Brian ramming anything through anything..... ;-)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The Guap is above 6. He is dead wrong about his political views, but I know better than to argue with him.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Gurnster,
You flatter me. :)

I am trying to keep an open mind about my politics. But every now and then I just have to take to a tower with a rifle and talk with my demons to get things straight. I hope I have become easier to discuss things with over the years.

When you and the Missus coming out for another shin-dig? Bring the boys, we'll get faced on the homebrew keg.

Michael Stumpf said:
Donk's comments have me remembering this theory, which I tend to believe:

"Psychologist Howard Gardner identified the following distinct types of intelligence. They are listed here with respect to gifted / talented children.
My mom, an elem. librarian, did a day of in-service on this and came home all excited about it, because she could totally see the various learning types among her kids. However, the second half of the in-service was learning to tailor your lesson plan so that ALL the learning types can relate to your lesson, not very easy when you're supposed to teach the same thing 7 different ways in 30 minutes. Despite all their vacation and benefits, I am just SOOOOOOO glad i'm not a school teacher right now.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
5. What kms said; those that know me well know the reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.