• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How to drive yourself right out of business #1

martini

Cyburbian
Was he aware that you(or whoever) was actually taking his photo as he was using the flag as a drop cloth? Or was he simply protesting(he doesn't look like the protest-type)? I don't think he'll go out of business though Chet, I mean a liquor store in WI? You're garunteed to stay in business no matter what!

el Guapo

Capitalist
I hate to even attempt to be the voice of reason, but the there was no text with the photo that said he was doing this purposely to piss off America. Perhaps he is a foreigner unfamiliar with our customs and flag etiquette. The local chapter of the Legion, the DAV or the VFW needs to send someone over and have a friendly chat with the man about flag “dos and don’ts.” If he does it again, then we kill him in a frenzy of uncontrolled patriotic mob violence.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WTF?

He waves one flag only to use another as a drop cloth... I just don't get it.

*I am never going to go to his place.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Haven't you guys bought your "American Flag Dropcloth" yet? It is far more patriotic than regular white dropcloths. If we can't use the flag as a dropcloth, then the terrorists have already won! ;)

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe he set it down as to not get paint on it, then accidently stepped on it. I also think that a lot of people have no clue about flag ettiquite. The only time I was even exposed to it was in the cub scouts.

Is that any worse than this:

Oh yeah, thats GW, defacing a flag.

H

Cyburbian
Regardless of your freedom of speech, that is just stupid business sense.

It would make me not go back there.

donk

Cyburbian
It looks like it was/is on a flag pole and he took it down when he was painting and was not realy careful about how he treated it once it was taken down.

At least he is maintaining his building.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Probably just someone unaware of flag customs in the US. In the States, the flag is venerated more so than in other countries; some consider it sacred. The fact that the person doing it is an Arab shopkeeper makes the perception of desecration worse.

Some ignorant shopkeeper isn't a tenth as bad as this crowd.

H

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Probably just someone unaware of flag customs in the US. In the States, the flag is venerated more so than in other countries; some consider it sacred. The fact that the person doing it is an Arab shopkeeper makes the perception of desecration worse.
I would like to give the benefit of the doubt as well, but come on? After all that has happened? You just don’t “don’t know” not to use the flag as a drop cloth….

And if he is that ignorant, then he would probably go out of business for other reasons, …so no sympathy here.

Don’t get me wrong, if he wants to do it its his right, but it would also be my right not to patronize his store.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Maybe the flag was in bad shape and before burning it he decided to use it as a drop cloth because he figured paint is flammable he'd burn the flag more efficiently with the added paint and plus, why buy a good drop cloth.... But I'm pulling excuses out...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The general consesus around here is that he was niave about our nation's flag ettiquette.

There is a groundswell of backlash brewing, however.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Got to look on the bright side of flag burners and abusers. When It comes time for mob action, at least you know who to go after! :)

H

Cyburbian
who took the photo?

He obviously does not seemed phased by the fact his picture is being taken. If you were someplace foreign to you, and doing something with a national symbol, right after they had gone to war with what appears to be your neck of the woods, and someone came up ant took a photo, wouldn’t you turn around? Or at least stop doing what you where doing?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Where did the pictures come from? In what context? I looked online for something about this in the local press, but it wasn't there.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Where did the pictures come from? In what context? I looked online for something about this in the local press, but it wasn't there.
No one knows its origin for sure, but an elderly veteran has been distributing copies along with the store name and phone number on it. I drove by it twice today - no one is shopping there or buying gas.

Our "local" paper comes out once a week on Thursdays. I'll be watching for it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Chet said:
Our "local" paper comes out once a week on Thursdays. I'll be watching for it.
Front page, photo and all. I'll post their web link when they update their site.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I had forgotten about how flag maniacs you people are in the US :p

Sure... People here would also scold on someone if he did the same thing the guy is doing... But nobody has the flag out for much, just for the mandatory days (May 21st and September 18th and 19th). If you don't put it on those days you get a ticket... although cops don't mind if you have a small flag (You people would be surprised by the miniatures I've seen put up as flags...)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here's the news story

The paper had the photo too.

One thing - the owner claims to have fired the offending empoyee. But the guy in the picture is the owner. I dont know how much of his explanation to believe.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I sent a letter to the person who wrote Tuesdays article because I had some questions about this. Primarily I was trying to figure out why she went to a bar to find out what to do and how and why her son got this photo.

After reading your article this morning I can't help
but wonder why the following questions were not
answered:

1. How old is her son?
2. Why would a construction worker just give her son
these photos?
3. Why did she go to a bar first? Why not approach the
store owner?

It sounds very suspicious and I would hope that a
reporter would dig deeper than you did.

This Nikki Alanzio is seems to be a self-serving racist hell-bent
on driving this guy out of business. His only real
crime, being from the Middle-East/India in lily white
Muskego.

Her response:

I assure you that as a reporter, I dig deep enough into issues that we cannot print all of the information I have gathered. Some things, such as the age of Mrs. Alanzio's son (teenager) and his relationship with a construction worker (acquaintance) and her logic in heading to a bar (a question she circumvented) were considered minor details and therefore not included in the story. We usually have a very limited space in the newspaper, and we reporters often find ourselves lamenting the lack of room. However, it is our job to separate the relevant information from the extraneous, and I hope that you still emerged from my article with a clear understanding of the dispute.

- Kate Goodloe

Katharine Goodloe
Reporter, Waukesha Bureau
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
kgoodloe@journalsentinel.com
262-650-3190

Cardinal

Cyburbian
"I'm doing this for the veterans," she says. Yeah, right. This woman is a crackpot. She demands an apology after he has already given one, then says he reneged because the reporters left. She demands a written, notarized apology which he provides, then says he reneged because he did not meet her at the courthouse.Come on, b*tch, get a life. Wrapping yourself up in patriotism as an excuse for idiotic behaviour is far worse than accidently stepping on a flag.

A word for Rep. Pettis - it is already a crime to incite a riot, whether or not a flag is involved.

Cityscape Dreamer

Cyburbian
the guy is not middle-eastern or Arab, he is Indian.
the guy is not Muslim, he is Sikh, I can tell by the name (Singh).
I know this has gone this far because he "looks" Arab or Muslim. It is obviously a witch hunt. It was stupid to use the flag as a dropcloth in public view. But what about people who use the american flag to decorate their clothiing? I have seen US flag boxers and bikinis. how respecful is that?

H

Cyburbian
Cityscape Dreamer said:
But what about people who use the american flag to decorate their clothiing? I have seen US flag boxers and bikinis. how respecful is that?
The American flag bikini is the best invention ever! Not only for men to look at, but also for women to say, “look at me I am free and don’t have to cover my face”. Every time I see one I get so full of pride I tear up. ;)

All together now, “God bless America…” :8: :8: :8:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Huston said:
The American flag bikini is the best invention ever! Not only for men to look at, but also for women to say, “look at me I am free and don’t have to cover my face”. Every time I see one I get so full of pride I tear up. ;)

All together now, “God bless America…” :8: :8: :8:
My partner has one of these...and the bottom is a thong. Way hot.. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
RichmondJake said:
My partner has one of these...and the bottom is a thong. Way hot.. ;)
Really? What's his name?

Sorry. Cheap shot. Had to be done though.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
what about this?

Since Sept 11, there was a huge surge of people putting flags on their cars and in their yards. Mostly what I have noted is that the bumper stickers and window flags have faded or have torn. It seems if people are going to display these things in this oh-so-patriotic way, the upkeep of the image of the flag should be just as important as the flag itself.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: what about this?

Jessie-J said:
Since Sept 11, there was a huge surge of people putting flags on their cars and in their yards. Mostly what I have noted is that the bumper stickers and window flags have faded or have torn. It seems if people are going to display these things in this oh-so-patriotic way, the upkeep of the image of the flag should be just as important as the flag itself.
Well put. Flag etiquette is important to me. :) :) :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Chet said:
At the risk of being photoshopped, post a pic! ;)
LOL...I can't get near her with a camera when she has it on!! Don't think I haven't tried.