• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Streets / roads How to name this street?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
A segment of road (private) is between a local 59' ROW and a private driveway/road of an apartment development and is perhaps 100 feet long. Would you call this a street? I view it as a driveway, if anythin. One thought my my GIS staff is to call it a Cambridge Link. There is no residential unit addressed off this street. Worst case is we just name it like any other street.

Attachments

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I think the Link approach is clear enough.

Make sure your Fire Dept is OK with the classification/naming. When a previous employer switched over to CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch), we had to rename several streets due to similarity of names, because they won't accept Cambridge Link and Cambridge Street. To the system, it's all Cambridge and is therefore a duplicate.

Bubba

Cyburbian
When a previous employer switched over to CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch), we had to rename several streets due to similarity of names, because they won't accept Cambridge Link and Cambridge Street. To the system, it's all Cambridge and is therefore a duplicate.
Atlanta would be screwed - waaaaaay too many streets named Peachtree.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, there are several repeated names in Fort Worth too. Part of it is that they annexed a lot of territory over the years and the unincorporated areas had repeats of the older city.

As for this situation, we have a street called Granbury Cuttoff which tees into Granbury Road in much the same way Cambridge Link tees into Cambridge Street.