• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How to use vacation time?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As the end of the year approaches, I am still looking at two weeks of vacation time that I need to use. I'll likely only get to fit in a week, and that will be in late December or January. Where should I go? I have a few thoughts:

- A friend of mine is moving to Little Rock. I can take a load of things in my car, then tool around the Arkansas hills for a few days, and maybe visit Hot Springs. Anyplace else I should be sure to check out?

- Airfare to Atlanta is about $115 round trip. I could fly in, rent a car, and check out Savannah, Charleston, and the coast.

- I could fly to San Francisco for $180. Although I went to northern California four time in the last year, there is still a lot to see. I would like to head down to Big Sur.

Of course, I am open to ideas from Cyburbia. Remember it is winter, so forget about the north. I am also looking to go cheap this time. The new car and furniture I bought over the past couple of months have put a bit of a strain on the wallet.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
High of 74, sunny skies, come to Buffalo where summer never ends. You friging bastaardd, 2 weeks of vacation time? Man your lucky. Ummm ideas, if your going to california, check out L.A.

JNL

Cyburbian
Come to the Southern Hemisphere where it's summer!

I've just found out that my work is closing for THREE weeks over Christmas. Which is kinda cool, but kinda sucky too because that means I need to use 10 days annual leave and I only have about 5 owed to me at the moment - so may have to take unpaid leave.

So I'm pondering the same question - what to do? Where to go? I was thinking house-sitting somewhere nice by a beach could be a good, cheap option.

H

Cyburbian
All your options sound great, and I have done all three. I don’t have a rec on which to chose, but I do have some suggestions on what to do once you chose:

1. There is great camping around Batesville Ark and the Lake of the Ozarks is quite nice.

2. Eat at Vinny Van Go Go’s pizza downtown Savannah “mmmmmmmmmmmmmm” and do the grave yard tours “ooooooooooooooooooooooo”

3. SF is nice, but the real fun is just to the north, the Napa Valley wine train hooks you up with fun people and keeps ya from driving.

Have a good time! :-D

donk

Cyburbian
I'd say coast.

I am in the same situation, I have about 12 vacation days left for this year. I think I'll be cashing them in to purchase materials to finish the house.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
You sure can, Rumpy style, no permission needed to access any buildings. Just bring an orange vest, nobody messes with the orange vest and cones.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Don't forget the other important props:
clipboard, digital camera, official looking radio.