• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

How Would You Change Major League Baseball?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Since everyone's thinking about baseball . . .

If you woke up tomorrow as MLB Commissioner what would you do to improve the League (or the game)?

Revenue sharing? Salary caps? Contraction/Expansion? Female players in French Maid Uniforms League?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
All players would wear elbow pads with giant sharp spikes on them.

Once per gaem, the catcher can yell "DO OVER!"

Tom R

Cyburbian
dh

Do away with the designated hitter rule.
Require that a club trade its highest paid player every three years.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I would require that every celebrity be placed in the "nose-bleed" seats. I'm tired of seeing them flashed on the tube in great seats during a game!!! ;-)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Pay every player $100,000 per year. With bonus of 100,00 to every player upon winning division, league, and World series.

% of gross proceeds into a stadium fund so the cash is in the bank when a new one is needed.

Budgie

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Pay every player $100,000 per year. With bonus of 100,00 to every player upon winning division, league, and World series.
I think the league minimum salary is well over $100,000. I like revenue sharing, but not to the point where the big market teams don't have an incentive to go for big media contracts. It's my understanding that the last agreement moved towards more revenue sharing, but that the playing field is not level. I don't think the playing field should be level, because it's the David and Goliath (Rocky and Apollo Creed) factor that puts butts in seats when the Yankees or RedSox come to town. I hope expansion is over. I can take or leave the DH rule. The umpire need to call the high strike and they should be more lenient on pitchers who throw inside.

A mote instead of a warning track would be pretty cool.

MINIMUM SALARY
Was recently raised from $200,000 to $300,000.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Contract the leagues to no more than 20 teams (16 even better).

Eliminate the f<<^>>n DH.

Raise mound.

Release Roy's tiger in the outfield every third inning.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I think all teams should be owned by the fans (like Greenbay) or by the city that hosts them so that A) teams can't threaten leaving to get what they want and B) you won't have owners like the Tribune Company who cheaps out on the payroll because they can still pack the stadium.

Salary caps would be a Good Thing too.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I'd seek to destroy it from within by abolishing it alltogether. I can't stand it!!!!
But if naked lesbians were to get involved with the games it'd get you more interested, huh!

Just think.....the 7th inning romp in right field, but who'd pitch? and catch?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
1. Eliminate the DH
2. Create a salary cap similar to the NFL
3. Have a "franchise" designation or something like the NBA has where a players team can offer more money than any other team so that teams like the Brewers or A's that develop talent can actually keep it.
3. Gag all "baseball purists" like Bob Coatas. I am so sick of the "this is the way we always did it, so we must continue to do it this way" bs. The Wild Card is awesome, as is interleague play so shut the hell up!
4. Managers and coaches are not allowed to wear uniforms anymore. They aren't playing, so they shouldn't dress like they are. Let them dress like NFL coaces...polo shirt, jacket, or some other logo apparel.
5. Beer prices should be capped at 3 bucks.
6. Eliminate a lot of the unwritten rules. If someone is throwing a no-hitter, the other team should not feel compelled to not bunt to break it up. Afterall, you are supposed to play to win, not let the other team win. If it was game 7 of the World Series, would you follow this "unwritten rule??" Same goes for stealing bases when your team is way ahead.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hear me out.

"Grenade Launcher Day"

10 lucky fans will each win a M203 Grenade launcher and 3 grenades via a random number ticket stub drawing at the end of the first inning. Once the launchers are passed out the gates to the stadium are locked until the game is over. The lucky winners could get grenades that are anything from teargas, smoke, High Explosive Fragmentary all the way to Armor Piercing. It is all randomized. But they get to sit in the stands and pop them off at random - and get wicked drunk. Cause the beer is free on grenade launcher day to the lucky shooters. They can aim at the field, the stands, the lights or the parking lot. Anything goes. Even the broadcast booth is fair game. Think of the fun.

This would make a great reality show.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
But if naked lesbians were to get involved with the games it'd get you more interested, huh!

Just think.....the 7th inning romp in right field, but who'd pitch? and catch?
Hummmmmm, the 7th inning carpet munch?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mad bulls released onto the field at a random time.

(Games at Wrigley Field) Steve Bartman sings "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" during the seventh inning stretch.

Spitting count added to scoreboard and stats.

The politically incorrect name of the Cleveland Indians would be changed. Fans, meet the Steamers! :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
anybody getting tired of those
Damn Yankees
being in the World (but only in North America) Series
again!

Rem

Cyburbian
I would ban fans from catching the ball unless it has cleared the fence.

(Yes news has travelled to Australia about the donkey curse).

Rem

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
no no no, its the curse of the GOAT! :)
Oooops. I knew it had four legs and a tail that got in the way of ..... - sorry, wrong thread.