• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How would you permit this?

el Guapo

Capitalist
I think this rascal should be permitted as an accessory building and have to meet codes and setbacks. Any comments?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
El Guapo said:
I think this rascal should be permitted as an accessory building and have to meet codes and setbacks. Any comments?
Yeah, that basketball goal has GOT to go...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Chain link fencing? Only if it's vinyl coated.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OK, seriously...
I would call that an accessory building. Does it meet side/rear setbacks? Do you have a prohibition on accessory buildings taller than the primary structure?

Ironically, I designed something similar for a vacation property (rural - 40+ acres).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Accessory buildings in the town where I work are limited to a maximum height of 15'. Any more, and you're looking at something with a second floor that could be converted to an apartment, Accessory dwelling units are considered ideal by new urbanists, but they're a potential health hazard when you're in a town that doesn't have a sanitary sewer system.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The House in the Clouds

I was channel surfing and I saw a program on the "House in the Clouds" somewhere in England. It appeared to be about seven stories with the footprint of a normal house. I believe it may have been a water tower before being converted to residential use. Journeymouse any ideas on this example of English ingenuity?

Just found this:http://www.heritage.co.uk/follies/ffsu18.html

The original photo in this thread is of a children's playhouse in St. Joseph, Missouri. Not quite the same scale though as the House in the Clouds.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
What is its use?

In our code, childrens play structures are exempt from accessory structure requirements. But buddy, store your lawn mower in there and we're coming after ya!

We also have solar access provisions which would preclude that height so close to the property line.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Re: The House in the Clouds

I've never seen or heard of it before, but after a quick check: yes, it has been a water tower that was no longer necessary and converted (in 1923-ish).

Somewhere, I'm not sure where, there is a web-site for a british company that builds tree houses, for kids and/or adults. You can actually live in some of them and I think I just discovered another life ambition... ( i want one, dammit!)