• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Howdy new to Cyburbia and the DC area

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Howdy,

I am a "jack of all trades" planner from Florida and just recently moved to the Washington, D.C./NOVA area. I loved my last job in Central Florida because it gave me such a broad spectrum of opportunities in the world of planning. I have worked in everything from transportation/ alternative transportation to current & comprehensive planning with everything in between. I am trying to figure out which route I should take in the NOVA area, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love it. Where is a good place to work, where should I avoid, etc.

My friend, Zoning Goddess, suggested that I become a member of Cyburbia. So far, I am really enjoying reading everyone's threads/posts. She also stated that since I love planning so much I am truly a warped individual.

While I was in Central Florida, I received the name "Trail Nazi" because I was such a nazi about anyone developing along the county's trail system. Developers kept trying to get new crossings over the trail and I was constantly a road block to them unless they were to give something to the county in exchange, such as bike racks, pedestrian connection, water fountains, and private connector trails. So, I was dubbed as the "Trail Nazi." It did not help that those in our development review section were not sympathetic to our bike/ped needs. But eventually, they began to come around once a trails team was established. Now the trails program is thriving even more than ever!

:& Amanda

Last edited:

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
From another NoVa planner-welcome...to hell. (NoVa not Cyburbia)

Lol and you think Im kidding.

Look hard before you leap, pay close mind to the commute and vent on the boards frequently :)

Welcome aboard

PG

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard.

I too am another trail person.

Last edited:

Jeff

Cyburbian
I like trails, trails are cool. Especially when they aren't littered with horse crap like all the ones around here.

Amanda - We're always happy to welcome new people to the boards - hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Kelly

prudence

Cyburbian
Welcome to our microcosm...thanks to this forum, we have all lost track of the goals of communities.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome! With your title did you ever get to say, "No trail for you today!!!"? I would be so tempted...

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Nerudite wrote:
With your title did you ever get to say, "No trail for you today!!!"? I would be so tempted...

-----
Actually, I would say "Hell no. You get no trail today!!!" In a very sick way, it was lots of fun. Tee hee. The developers were really deadset about making the trails their own for destruction. (I had some wonderful role models at that job because they would say the same thing on other issues.)

I recently left DC for Florida, and I miss it all of the time. The culture, food, sports, concerts, art, cannot be matched. Unfourtunately it took me 1 hr. to travel 11 miles to work (not to mention about 30 traffic lights) ---- it finally broke me and I returned to the slow paced south. (P.S. Advice, go to the MCI center and watch Jordan for his last season, and go to Moby Dicks in Bethesda or Georgetown for dinner) enjoy!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I concur on G'town, Scott and i go just about every week-check out Papa-ratzzi or Palos both are on Wisconson near M.

hehe if you wanna know all the fun spots let me know-ive lived here just shy of a year and im living it up!

PG