• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

How's the job?

How's the job?

• I love it!

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I'm comfortable, but I'm thinking about a change in a year or two.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I'm a lifer. Makes no sense to make any changes.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I'm actively looking for another planning job at this moment.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Ugh! Get me out of planning now!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Job? You mean when I'm done school I need a job???

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Which one, hand or blo............................. Life is good until you get the full body cavity search at work because somebody is stealing batteries.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Well, if you ate it, then all they'd have to do is wait 8 hours and then meet you in the men's room.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Well, if you ate it, then all they'd have to do is wait 8 hours and then meet you in the men's room.
They didn't want to wait, the wanted to reclaim it errrrrrrrr.

Rem

Cyburbian
I love it, but of course it has its days. Not today (yet), thankfully.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It's mostly fun, but I'm surrounded by engineers.

Plus, in a couple years, our main trail system will be built out, then I have to go back into planning. Hope the current planning management is gone by then...

donk

Cyburbian
I am one of the ones looking for a new job , without too much success. If I could figure out something else to do I'd gladly leave planning.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
It's mostly fun, but I'm surrounded by engineers.
I to love my jobby job but am also surrounded by engineers. They are to rigid and dry (sorry engineers). I'm taking the AICP exam this spring and we'll see what happens here after I pass (hopefully) and if thing dont go my way (more $$$), SEE YA.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
Love it. Moved to the Private sector in 2000 and will never turn back.
I could only handle the public sector for 1.5 years. I'm in the private sector now and likely won't turn back until I'm ready for retriement and can have all kinds of staff do my work and go to my meetings for me.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Love it....but subject to change if I don't have a new union contract by Town Meeting in March....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Its ok here, I think I am ready for a step up in responsibility and difficulty as I have reached a plateau in my job duities. It would probably take a really good situation for me to leave.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
Its ok here, I think I am ready for a step up in responsibility and difficulty as I have reached a plateau in my job duities. It would probably take a really good situation for me to leave.
You can apply for my job in a few weeks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It has it's ups and downs, but generally I really like my job. Just wish what we did actually made a difference.

Tranplanner said:
It has it's ups and downs, but generally I really like my job. Just wish what we did actually made a difference.
Ditto.

The private sector isn't any different in my case. My company doesn't represent developers or anything like that. We work on great studies that collect dust on shelves. It's just as bad as having your recommendations torn to shreds at a Planning Commission and subsequent City Council meeting..

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
You got it?

I was ready to run from this place a year ago, and actively searching all over the country. Some changes on my board, plus a couple of interesting projects, mean I am likely to stick it out for a while longer. Still, if a good job (maybe consulting) came along in about a year's time, I'd take it.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm looking...work here is boring...which is why I'm able to spend so much time on Cyburbia.

Habanero

Cyburbian
tsc said:
I need a job where my dog can come to work with me.....
I would love that. Although I think my dogs are smarter than a ton of people I meet with, which could make them those people feel bad.. oh wait, what am I saying- bring it on- at least my dogs respond to comments and would know a site plan is required at the second submittal.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Nahh...there is something about your community, the community to the north and the community to the east that seems to make people go crazy.

BKM

Cyburbian
Biggest problem I have: I don't really like the town I work for that much. On the other hand, I don't live here (ten miles up the freeway), I like my boss and coworkers pretty well, and I am terrified about trying to find a job within commuting range of my house-especially in this job market. PERS makes looking outside California unlikely, for me-and I am 40, so...

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm reaping the benefits of my transition from the public sector to the private sector. My firm gets a good flow of contracts for large development projects. The Planners are very involved in the evaluation/assessment of these projects. :)

H

Cyburbian
tsc said:
I need a job where my dog can come to work with me.....
We can bring ours. I don’t have a pet here in Miami, but there are three different dogs that frequent the office. We even have dog beds in one of the rooms here.

I have also seen dogs in Office Depot here in the neighborhoods south of Miami, so it is not that big of a deal. They are allowed at most restaurants (outside dining).

My job in Atlanta was pet friendly also. The office admin had a parrot and a Great Dane she would bring. This always freaked out the mailman. 8-!

BKM

Cyburbian
We just got a pompous directive from personnel last month. No more dogs can even VISIT the workplace.

I suggested (although was too chicken to actually email it) that children be banned from the workplace. At least dogs don't cart along candy catalogs and Girl Scout cookie order sheets :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I would say that I am actively looking. I really can't stand planning in the Commonwealth of Virginia since they don't have anything progressive here. I really want to get back to doing transportation planning, but there seems to be a lack of that here too. Plus the job I have does not have any benefits. Totally sucks. So if I am out sick I don't get paid. I am stuck in planning purgatory!!!!!!!!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is this "job" you speak of? Remember.. I'm just a lazy "student" from a subdeveloped country...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
What is this "job" you speak of? Remember.. I'm just a lazy "student" from a subdeveloped country...
[mod hat]

New poll option added for Skeleton and others like him. ;)

[/mod hat]

Otis

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I would say that I am actively looking. I really can't stand planning in the Commonwealth of Virginia since they don't have anything progressive here. I really want to get back to doing transportation planning, but there seems to be a lack of that here too. Plus the job I have does not have any benefits. Totally sucks. So if I am out sick I don't get paid. I am stuck in planning purgatory!!!!!!!!!
I moved here from Virginia 12 years ago. We're progressive. We're doing transportation planning right now. We're working on a trail system. We're looking for a senior planner, with fewer than 2,000 posts on Cyburbia.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rich Townsend said:
I moved here from Virginia 12 years ago. We're progressive. We're doing transportation planning right now. We're working on a trail system. We're looking for a senior planner, with fewer than 2,000 posts on Cyburbia.
And who is this "Urban Renewal Director" of which you seek? Would that be your boss?

*rubs hands together in an evil manner*

Muhahahha! Guess who's qualified?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
What are you trying to say? ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
So I'm hired!!!!! Thanks for the opportunity.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hey I qualify! If you take out the senior planner thing.... Don't worry I can plan in my etch-a-sketch :p

Otis

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
And who is this "Urban Renewal Director" of which you seek? Would that be your boss?
No, that would be my "peer." It's a different department, with which we in the planning department work very closely. Actually we haven't announced the senior planner job yet. Probably in the next couple of days.

But if there's a couple with someone who qualifies for UR director and someone who qualifies for senior planner, come on down!

Otis

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Don't worry I can plan in my etch-a-sketch :p
We're tackling this technology thing a little at a time. The etch-a-sketch will be adopted next year.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
Trail Nazi, I think he's got you pegged. But... after so many years in FL, could you handle the weather out there?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
BKM said:

I suggested (although was too chicken to actually email it) that children be banned from the workplace.
You should have a boss like mine! He thinks: hmmm, kid out of school, day care bombed out, worker could be home or... worker could bring kid in to work. Now, what to do? Hey, teach kid to file! Works for our team. P.S. He is equally understanding for all of the co-workers, child-free, pet-free, etc.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll let you know how the new job is, after I formally accept it in a few days. But, as Cartman would say, Kickasssssssss

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
And just where are you going???
I'll reveal after its set in stone. In the mean time, look for a PM :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
But if there's a couple with someone who qualifies for UR director and someone who qualifies for senior planner, come on down!
If I were to be hired as the UR Director would the city arrange to hire some nice Seniorplannergirl to hook me up with? ;)

Congrats, Chet!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Oh I know where Chet is going! Some place warm!

Oh, I wonder where that could be?

Otis

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
If I were to be hired as the UR Director would the city arrange to hire some nice Seniorplannergirl to hook me up with? ;)
*Sigh* So you're going to play hardball negotiator, huh? I see. So what are the vitals of this Seniorplannergirl you seek?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Can I work out of my home . . . from the east coast? I'm a great self-starter, I can think out of the box, and I have good hygene. I won't even get onions on my lunches if you don't want me to.

You're looking really sharp today Mr. Townsend! Have you lost weight?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rich Townsend said:
No, that would be my "peer." It's a different department, with which we in the planning department work very closely. Actually we haven't announced the senior planner job yet. Probably in the next couple of days.

So you run the planning department?

I looked at the URD job... Not enough pay to make me move. Besides, I'm a real jerk. You don't want me around!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ugh as Trail said planning in Nova sucks so bad it moves you to tears. I used to love planning but now...well I feel lost-very very lost.

I went to a ULI workshop a couple weeks ago, it was nice to interact with real professionals that do something besides hide behind their desks.

Id leave planning in a heartbeat if I could-just to get out of where Im working now.