• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

How's the job?

How's the job?

• I love it!

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I'm comfortable, but I'm thinking about a change in a year or two.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I'm a lifer. Makes no sense to make any changes.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I'm actively looking for another planning job at this moment.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Ugh! Get me out of planning now!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Job? You mean when I'm done school I need a job???

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

martini

Cyburbian
You mean theres more to this stuff after school? Neat!

Actually, I've just applied for a position with a town just to the south of the metro area here. Wish me luck on my first foray into the officail planning realm!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
martini said:
You mean theres more to this stuff after school? Neat!

Actually, I've just applied for a position with a town just to the south of the metro area here. Wish me luck on my first foray into the officail planning realm!

Good luck....I hoist a cocktail in your direction.

martini

Cyburbian
Yeah, thanks. I'm a tad nervous. Dunno why though, I've applied for jobs before. I guess this is just a little bit bigger and all. Now I've got a(lmost) Master's degree. For some reason, that makes it seem bigger. I'm only a smidgen smarter 'cause of it.

Otis

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
So you run the planning department?

I looked at the URD job... Not enough pay to make me move. Besides, I'm a real jerk. You don't want me around!

Yep, I'm the Planning & Community Development director. But still an all-round great guy. What are you doing in Oakridge? For a job I mean. And how does a real jerk keep that job?

Otis

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Can I work out of my home . . . from the east coast? I'm a great self-starter, I can think out of the box, and I have good hygene. I won't even get onions on my lunches if you don't want me to.

You're looking really sharp today Mr. Townsend! Have you lost weight?

Can you work out of your home? Yes, if it's for your second job. Otherwise we have a lovely ocean-view office just for you here in City Hall.

From the east coast? A hell of a commute.

But I like your attitude. Lincoln City could use a person like you.

BTW, the reference in one of my earlier posts about a couple to head up UR and be senior planner was in no way intended to imply that coupledom was a requirement ofr either job.

Does this CYA make my butt look big?

Otis

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
ugh as Trail said planning in Nova sucks so bad it moves you to tears. I used to love planning but now...well I feel lost-very very lost.

I went to a ULI workshop a couple weeks ago, it was nice to interact with real professionals that do something besides hide behind their desks.

Id leave planning in a heartbeat if I could-just to get out of where Im working now.

We would consider an exception to the 2000 post rule in your case.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rich Townsend said:
Yep, I'm the Planning & Community Development director. But still an all-round great guy. What are you doing in Oakridge? For a job I mean. And how does a real jerk keep that job?

I'm the Community Services Director.

So... All planning, building, permitting. Then, I'm also in charge of public works. So, streets, water, and sewer. I also do work with the industrial park.

How do I keep the job? I'm a jerk... just their KIND of jerk.

My job is summed up as, "If it ain't bleedin', speedin', or burnin', it's your job."

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rich Townsend said:
We would consider an exception to the 2000 post rule in your case.

Me 'n PG within 150 miles of each other? That's kind of scary...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Rich Townsend said:
. Actually we haven't announced the senior planner job yet. Probably in the next couple of days.

I'll be looking for the posting.

Otis

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
I'm the Community Services Director.

So... All planning, building, permitting. Then, I'm also in charge of public works. So, streets, water, and sewer. I also do work with the industrial park.

How do I keep the job? I'm a jerk... just their KIND of jerk.

My job is summed up as, "If it ain't bleedin', speedin', or burnin', it's your job."

I am not worthy.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
would anybody dare up on their wall at work one of those
www.despair.com posters?

Yeah, in a heartbeat. After tonight's council meeting I feel this should be my new motto:

demotivators_1765_151398

donk

Cyburbian
The joke about my career,

a meteoric rise to mediocrity.

Must think positive thoughts, I have my 10th or 11th job interview of the year this week.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As for the Job... WOW.. it is nice to have work to do on a regular basis, and the people that I work with are great. The way that this place operates surpasses my last job to a point where I now understand how and why Reading had the problems that it had. Granted yes, I do miss hours and hours of nothing to do, but having direction, responsibility, knowledgeable co-workers, better benefits, and most of all, it is in a place where new ideas are encouraged and expected of people. Yes, I am at the bottom of the pecking order right now, but at least here, I actually have a desire to get out of bed, and come to work. Now I just need to meet more people, find a good cup of coffee, and fine a beautiful woman, and life will be perfect.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I made it official today

I put in my notice, and Im going into the privater sector. Details to come...

Its a good thing.

martha_04.jpg

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: I made it official today

Chet said:
I put in my notice, and Im going into the privater sector. Details to come...

Its a good thing.

Hey, so did I. Whatta ya know, except I'm going back to the public sector! Enjoy things on the dark side.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
We have someone we'd like you to meet; her name is Miriam.... ;)

Knowing you guys, part of me has an overwhelming fear, but on the other hand...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
HEY TOWNSEND!

You here?

I'm going to be in Linc City tomorrow night...

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations Chet and Budgie - I hope your new enterprises are successful and that your Cyburbia activities aren't curtailed by trying to impress your new employers.;)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
JNA said:
would anybody dare up on their wall at work one of those
www.despair.com posters?

We actually do have one of their poster sayings up!! It is the Meetings one - none of us is as dumb as all of us. It gives me a nice smile each time I walk into my cube since it is right outside my door.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
I moved here from Virginia 12 years ago. We're progressive. We're doing transportation planning right now. We're working on a trail system. We're looking for a senior planner, with fewer than 2,000 posts on Cyburbia.

A place that is progressive is something that I dream about. Would love it. There is some shifting going on right now with my husband's job so we could be moving, we just don't know where yet. I have started some homework on some possible places.

Last edited:

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
You should have a boss like mine! He thinks: hmmm, kid out of school, day care bombed out, worker could be home or... worker could bring kid in to work. Now, what to do? Hey, teach kid to file! Works for our team. P.S. He is equally understanding for all of the co-workers, child-free, pet-free, etc.

Your boss is great! Child slave labor builds character.

BTW, Oregon would be great!

Sorry about the triple posting, I was reading everyone's posts in reverse order.

donk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

OTOH, it would be an improvement for donk.

That is a scary thought. i expect that at least a majority of his council can read and that having 5 kids by four different men is not considered normal. I could go on...

On the good news side of things, I find out monday about the job interview I had yesterday.