• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Howya Doin'

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Hey everybody!

I'm Pete, a planner from Chicago, IL. Well technically, an unemployed planner, as I was laid off from my job as a planner with a local Chicago architecture/planning firm in March. I've got a few good prospects; I expect to be working again by late August or early September, but I'm mostly enjoying one hot summer here.

Briefly, I got my master's in urban planning from the University of Illinois-Chicago in 1990, and then spent seven years (in two stints) working as a planner and project manager with the City of Chicago's Department of Planning and Development. In between those two stints, I worked with not-for-profits engaging in community development work. After my second tour with the City I spent a little over one year in the private sector before the layoff.

I usually tell those who ask that I got involved in planning as a result of growing up in Detroit in the 1970's. Could one grow up in a city with a worse image at the time? My thinking about Detroit's decline and exodus, even as a pre-teen, was that the city needed people committed to its revitalization rather than divorcing themselves from it -- physically, emotionally and economically.

I'm glad to be a part of this. I like engaging in thoughtful (I hope) planning discussion.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome Pete -

As long as you've got your summer free, be sure to head up to Milwaukee's Summerfest this weekend!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
One question: Is it any less crowded and more orderly than the Taste of Chicago? The Taste is a mass of humanity I usually can do without. The food, however, is unbelievable.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Summerfest beats Taste hands-down. I was at Taste last Saturday, then came back to Summerfest Sunday, even with the oppressive heat and 90,000 in attendance, the crowd wasn't bad. But dang, I hate it when people have little kids there after 9pm! Stroller Hell I can do without.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Yea, summerfest is better. The taste is way too crowded and I don't like spending 3 hours to get a slice of pizza.

Welcome pete-rock.

yaff

Cyburbian
Hey there fellow Chicagoian!

Welcome aboard. I was at the Taste last tuesday and it was nice. But I think that Summerfest in Milwaukee is better.