• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hullo

Hiya,

I'm James a graduate Land Economist from Liverpool England.

I'm currently studying for a masters in Building Surveying, which doesn't really involve any planning, but i thought it would be nice to start chatting about that kettle of fish again any way.

cheers

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Trust me, you will deal with planning. It's great to see someone in your field getting an early start on it.

Jen

Cyburbian
Hey Hey

Im in school for a masters in Public Admin. without benefit of previous planning or economic experience.

SO, I am curious about the "Land Economist".

It sounds like you would facilitate a commercial property owners consortium. or some such.?

I'd like to hear more about land economists and why a builder surveyor, isn't that what architects do?

J

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to the board - sounds like you have a great background!

SO, I am curious about the "Land Economist".

Land Economy is the rather old fashioned name given to a colection of different subject all loosely related to the use of Land. I think only three places still call it by this name - Cambridge, Reading and Aberdeen - and even Cmabridge is considering changing its name to ELE (Environment Law and Economics.)

It is basically economics papers, law papers and some more practical stuff like valuation, agriculture, built environment etc.

Sooooo

It sounds like you would facilitate a commercial property owners consortium. or some such.?

God, I hope not - that's not really what I'm into at all - more of a conservation developer in city centres (hopefully)

I'd like to hear more about land economists and why a builder surveyor, isn't that what architects do?

Exactly, but the training is five years shorter, and I can't draw for toffee . . . .

el Guapo

Capitalist
Howdy Cowboy.

Welcome and pay attention to Jen's quotes. Much wisdom is to be found there.