• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Human Shields

el Guapo

Capitalist
"I am an American human shield on this trip to Baghdad to try and stop this war," said volunteer John Rosse.

"I ask American troops headed here...not to come, they have no business being here. They do not make good ambassadors. They are here to kill, murder, devastate the civilian population of Iraq. That is not an American thing to do."
Emphasis added by Guap

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55857-2003Feb11.html

I'd have shot these stupid silly bastards myself at JFK before they boarded their flights. All they had to do was ask. This would saved everyone some trouble.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Well, I admire the strength of their convictions...but don't they realize the type of regime they've decided to support? Shouldn't they be going over there to protest against the brutal dictatorship that is currently in power?

I hope they bought one-way tickets!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Dumba**es

im very much in the anti war camp but our troops are not the ones we need to be pissed at/with, its their bosses back here in DC.

Ive been sending out thge "support the troops " emails for a couple months now, mixed in with all the anti war ones to the hill and white house.

these guys dont need to come home

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Excuse me but when was the last time a combat ready platoon was deplayed as ambassadors? Stupid liberal freaks.

Shields are meant to be broken through. I'd have no problems making the attempt. At least Mr. Rosse is becoming a human shield by his own free will, unlike some of the Iraqis...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Shouldn't they be going over there to protest against the brutal dictatorship that is currently in power?
The attitude of many progressives is that United States policy is always wrong. Take Afghanistan, for example. Before 9-11, progs condemned the US for not taking any action against the Taliban for their oppression of women. After 9-11, progs condemned the US for the occupation of Afghanistan and the ousting of the Taliban. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Less-than democratic regimes that the US supports or tolerates are seen bad among progressives (i.e. Saudi Arabia, China for their occupation of Tibet); however, regimes that the US opposes are considered good (Iraq, North Korea, Cuba, etc.). If, for some reason, the US decides to invade Saudi Arabia, watch the progressives spring to action to protect the gentle Wahibi Muslim culture and deep-rooted cultural traditions.

My POV has changd, and I'm no fan of war in Iraq. However, our soldiers aren't fighting to kill innocents and pillage Iraqi villages. Uhhhh ... surgical strikes, anyone? Dumba$$es ... the folks heading to Iraq will do more harm to liberalism, unfortunately, than they will to the misguided US/UK war efforts.

BKM

Cyburbian
A liberal skeptic rants!

I remain very suspicious about the motives behind the war, the effectiveness of this action in solving any of the problems in the Middle East, or the benefit to the US in reduced terrorism. I remain deeply opposed to the war.

However, many of these so-called progressives are just plain foolish. I still believe in "Support the Troops." Claiming that you are speaking directly to the soldiers is ridiculous and pointless. Why are they giving their lives up for the Baathist regime?

I also remain suspicious about the "innocence" of "The Iraqi people."

The US has not "killed millions" through its embargo. There is no inherent obligation for a country or group of countries to trade with another (sinning) country. Many of these same "progressives" were all for the anti-Apartheid embargos. The hypocrisy of these groups is just amazing.

There are an awful lot of people and groups in Iraq that are benefiting quite nicely from the Baathist regime, thank you very much. A country gets the government it deserves. You hang with Sadaam, you HANG with Sadaam.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I don't want to hear them complain when they get shot or the troops they don't want over there don't come to save their a**es.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Human shields are stupid... IMHO, war is stupid
By being a human shield you are supporting one side... I prefer to be neutral... Saddam ain't no saint, that's for sure, but war isn't the answer.
Innocent people are going to die, just like in Afghanistan (any lost missile around there?), Somalia, the first Desert Storm (remember the Kurds??), War of the Balcans, Vietnam, WWII, WWI, etc....

Forget Saddam( for now at least)... WHERE'S OSAMA?!?!?!?

Just my POV...
sorry for the flame and trolling :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
At my last job, I asked my boss that if one of the idiot citizens started shooting during a public hearing, would he throw himself in front of me to protect me. His reply only detailed how he would crawl around the dais and out the back door, and hey, you planners are on your own. Chief planners do not make good human shields.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
sorry for the flame and trolling :p
Posts that dissent from official Bush administration policy regarding Iraq can't be considered flaming or trolling. They're considered "thinking for yourself." :)

Don't worry about offending us Yanks by criticisizing the war effort. Patriotism does not imply blind, unquestioned agreement with every action of our government. We've screwed up before (coughsupportingPinochetcough), and we're bound to do it again.

The POV we're seeing expressed in this thread is that there's a difference between opposing war in Iraq, versus actually supporting Iraq itself.

BKM

Cyburbian
Although I don't always agree with him (He falls into the "Poor Innocent Iraqis line a little too much), Tom Tomorrow is still GOD!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I think you will find a goodly *i love that word* number of educated Americans are not comfortable with this war and we are proud to have the right to say so.

There is no greater lesson we could teach our kids than to think for themselves.

just my .02

BKM

Cyburbian
We need a new emoticon for posts like EG's last. Maybe a smily face with fangs! :)

Runner

Cyburbian
The naive idiots that do this sort of thing may very well end up dead, and I figure it’s just a Darwin thing :)

While I think our wasteful and consumer based culture has had much to do with getting us into this situation. That wrong does not in any way justify the murders on 9-11 or the proliferation of weapons that will one day, maybe all too soon, be used against our homeland.

I go beyond fully supporting the termination of Sadam’s command with extreme prejudice. Yes, the burning of Baghdad will smell like, like... victory!

Beyond that I fully support a preemptive strike on N. Korea and turning that country into an ashtray using one or two of our Ohio class subs that are currently lurking in the West Pacific.

After that, the third piece of the axis of evil needs to be dealt with. Preferably by moderates overthrowing the religious nuts but dealt with nonetheless.

Our country has been attacked, and will continue to be attacked until the threat is neutralized.

As for al-Qaida, I fully support the continued mysterious disappearance of their members, one garrote at a time.

Meanwhile back on the home front we need to ditch our automobile based, sprawl producing, over consuming, multinational corporation supporting lifestyle. Oh, and forget the tax cuts for the rich too.

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist

The first thing they teach you in Human Shied School is to bunch up to ensure a high body count when the American Murderers come for you!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Either they get killed by the US troops or the Camel Spiders :D
Go ahead and kick Saddam's ass if you want... but we'll remember and never forget (tm) about you guys trying to forget about Osama... :p
He did it once (bombing of the WTC in 1993)
He did it twice (9-11)
Whatcha waitin'? a third one?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Son,
There are things you joke about and things you don't. I place your post in the later category. Just a friendly reminder. :)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Can we win the peace?

This war effort is tricky to me because of the plethora of scenarios that do not seem to favor the US.

I'm all for Saddam being out of office. In fact, the best Saddam is a dead Saddam. But I can't help think that Iraq is targeted simply because it is the "high ground" from which we can watch over the rest of the Middle East and spot terrorism.

And then there's occupation. Again, too many scenarios that could go awry. A pro-US government in Iraq can cause Islamic fundamentalists to destabilize Saudi Arabia, Iran or even Pakistan, whom we all know has nuclear capabilities.

Does anyone else see just entirely too much going wrong after blowing up Baghdad?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Can we win the peace?

pete-rock said:
Does anyone else see just entirely too much going wrong after blowing up Baghdad?
Unfortunately yes. North Korea will realize that the Axis of Evil is losing members fast, and they'll take a preemptive stance. I see no good coming of that...

el Guapo

Capitalist
We are living in dangerous times. Sticking our head in the sand does nothing to improve our safety. North Korea is a danger. They are even more of a danger if they think we are week, and we appear soft like France and Germany. France and Germany have the luxury of playing to their internal peaceniks. We don't.

[ot]Brian, did you see that French battle rifle for sale on ebay? The description is "never fired - droped once"[/ot]

The Irish One

Dangerous times to say the least, The US has to stick its chin out and take all the beating that it's going to get, ie.. terrorism, the french, germans doing whatever they feel like they need to do. Iraq: The ottamans, British and now USA will temporarily colonize this this territory. A big bad jerk and all his cronies are going to be kicked out. That is a good thing. Quality of life is going to be better without Saddam. So the French! They have their own politics at home and internationally, but don't think for a second they're not going to help with the war! The charles de gaulle aircraft carrier was put in the Persian gulf. So the first and only lesson in french political culture anyone needs to know is that they betray every stance they take.