• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hunting for Bambi

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Um, ok does anyone else find this disturbing?

"(July 10) -- It's a new form of adult entertainment, and men are paying thousands of dollars to shoot naked women with paint ball guns. They're coming to Las Vegas to do it. This bizarre new sport has captured the attention of people around the world, but Channel 8 Eyewitness News reporter LuAnne Sorrell is the only person who has interviewed the game's founder.

Hunting for Bambi is the brainchild of Michael Burdick. Men pay anywhere from $5000 to $10,000 for the chance to come to the middle of the desert to shoot what they call "Bambis" with a paint ball gun. Burdick says men have come from as far away as Germany. The men get a video tape of their hunt to take home and show their friends."

Jeff

Cyburbian
I was just about to post that. I'm booking my flight to LV right now.

SGB

Cyburbian
Another example of the continuing disintegration of American society.

Surely both the women and men can find better ways to earn and spend their money.....

prudence

Cyburbian
It's funny...

Why does society care if a woman wants to get shot in the ass with a paintball? Sex sells. The inventor is just an entrepreneur...

Ask yourself one question..."What effect does this activity have on my/your day?"

It's a truly harmless outlet for some men. Everyone involved is an adult. It is certainly better that your religious leaders around the globe assault boys. Now, go back to watching The Bachelor #657...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WHAT THE F*** It is sin city... it is where prostitution is legal... it is where people come up with the most messed up ideas possible.

It is so wrong on so many levels, that it is hard to comprehend...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I find it disturbing that someone would pay that much to shoot at a human being, paintball or bullet, naked or clothed.

Ask yourself one question..."What effect does this activity have on my/your day?"
That's ridiculous. There are tons of things that do not directly, or indirectly, affect someone - that doesn't make it any less offensive or disturbing.

BKM

Cyburbian
I agree with SW Mi. It may be "legal" and the parties involved maybe doing so of their own free will, but it is still CHEAP AND DISGUSTING.

"We are a wicked people who deserve to be punished" JHK

Of course, given where it is happening (Las Vegas) what else can we expect?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I guess I don't see much of a difference between women getting paid to do this or the guys from Jackass doing it to each other to sell videotapes. And since I watch those videotapes (and take great interest in the welts they get on the bum), it would be hypocritical of me to then say someone else couldn't do it for profit. It would be good for the girls to at least have some type of head protection so they don't get a concussion... but hey, if they signed the waiver. There are a lot worse and dangerous ways to make $2500 in LV.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Gee, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I think this paintball game sounds kinda sexy. Not that it's worth $5000 though....

Jeff

Cyburbian
What kind of bodily harm can a paintball do if its like, a direct hit, and goes up there?

Belle

Cyburbian
WTF??? I have serious concerns about this... The owner of the business says that the customers are often submissive, shy men who want to SHOOT AT women and are willing to pay THOUSANDS of dollars to do it. They take them to some undisclosed place for this activity. I just hope there is someone else there to watch out for these women if these men get out of hand (or want more for their money). Otherwise, this could get ugly real fast...

Sometimes stupid people need to be protected from themselves.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I guess if all people are consenting, and waivers are signed, what does it matter. Yeah its wrong, and probably targets the wrong people, but a lot of other things can be as well.

jordanb

Cyburbian
This just made me remember an article on Kuro5hin some time ago in which the author argued that the prevelence of sexual fetishes in a society is due to sexual repression.

The author pointed out that, although the Greeks and Romans (especially the Romans) loved to write about sex and sexual exploits, they never mention any sort of fetish at all (unless you want to call homosexuality a fetish...), but reports of bizzare fetishes occured throught the christian age.

The article was very well written and researched by Internet standards and is certanly a fresh perspective on the subject. I remember reading a satire by Horace in which he's arguing that men who sleep with married women are idiots for risking doing something like that, if they were smart they'd just go **** a handmaid or stable boy.

Certanly our society is much more sexually permissive than most previous christian societies, especially towards women (it wasn't too long ago that a bride not being a virgin was grounds for divorace), but we still demonize even harmless things like masturbation, expect young adults with raging hormones to remain chaste, and talk about sex in hushed tones. Perhaps that has more to do with these fetishes than our being a wicked people...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I suppose I find this a bit disturbing on a couple levels. First, there is no regard for safety. I think OSHA would not be happy to find out that the prey did not at least wear goggles along with the tennis shoes. Secondly, while I try to equate this to regular paintball or lasertag, these people are hunting another, naked, human being. It seems dehumanizing. I suppose you could add that she gets paid less if she gets tagged, and with that it just gets worse.

In a way, I find this much more demeaning than prostitution. Prostitution seems to be more about taking the significance out of sex and treating it merely as a function. Hunting another human in this context seems to de-value the person.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I kind of chuckle at the stupidity of 1) The men paying this much money do do this, and 2) The women who are out there wanting to get shot.

Anyhow it is just a game, so people shouldn't get too bent out of shape over it.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I think both the men and women participating in this are touched. Women: why the hell would you subject yourself to this for a mere $2500? Men: why the hell would you pay to shoot a naked woman?

prudence

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
I find it disturbing that someone would pay that much to shoot at a human being, paintball or bullet, naked or clothed.

That's ridiculous. There are tons of things that do not directly, or indirectly, affect someone - that doesn't make it any less offensive or disturbing.
That is your opinion, not their opinion. They may find it hypocritical to want to bring a child into this world that you find offensive and disturbing.

Runner

Cyburbian
Just one more reason I have no interest in ever visiting Las Vegas. There are just too many worth while places out there to visit and spend money on.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Um, I just thought of something...

That picture shows a pale white girl with what looks like green terrain behind her. The article mentions the "hunters" dressing up in camoflage. Does anyone see a problem with that?

When I used to go hunting we'd dress up in tan coveralls with tan gloves, a bright ass orange vest and a similarly bright orange hat. Surely that'd be more "realistic"...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
That is your opinion, not their opinion.
Exactly, and I am entitled to it.

They may find it hypocritical to want to bring a child into this world that you find offensive and disturbing.
Gimme a break. I never said I find the WORLD offensive and disturbing. This is one particular event that I find disturbing and offensive. If your going to pick apart what people say, at least go by what they *really* say.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Belle said:
Sometimes stupid people need to be protected from themselves. [/B]

This is NEVER TRUE!

A) It leaves them in the gene pool way to long
B) The level of a persons stupidity has a direct relation to the familiarity of thier new environment.
C) Self rightous indignation and behavior has a way of sneaking around to bite you in the ass.

Of course this behavior is rediculous and disgusting, but saving stupid people from themselves comes at the price of putting someone else in the seat of morality director. I reserve that rite for myself.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I'm amazed that anyone can defend this practice. Hunting human beings, even if non-lethal, is NEVER right. The fact that the hunted are naked women makes it even worse, as they are being exploited. Since when is the exploitation of women, even if the women are complying, considered OK? Please, save me from the relativistic nonsense about consenting adults and "it's only a game" and "what's right for you isn't right for me/us/them." There is no way that a just society can condone this kind of practice.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:

Hunting human beings, even if non-lethal, is NEVER right.

The fact that the hunted are naked women makes it even worse, as they are being exploited.

Since when is the exploitation of women, even if the women are complying, considered OK?

Please, save me from the relativistic nonsense about consenting adults and "it's only a game" and "what's right for you isn't right for me/us/them."

There is no way that a just society can condone this kind of practice.

A) Happens all the time in every sport that exists, the goal in competition of any type is to win by whatever method/rules allow. Scoring a goal or a TD is nothing more than conquering the field, to conquer is to take and hold, to take and hold you must plan and cary out action. Sounds like hunting to me.

B) Hunting men is any better? Playing the sniper on a paintball field is less moraly objectionable? If she had clothes on it would be OK?

C) Exploitation of men is OK, profit in the global system comes from not paying people what thier labor is really worth. How is it that women should be any more exempt than anyone else?

D) Relativistic nonsense? Lets let the taliban (or insert favorite chirsian zealot here) have the right to interfere at whim in your life and find out how you like it.

E) Humor, I like that, When/where is that just society?

donk

Cyburbian
The images from the huntingforbambi web site are really tasteless and crude ( in a humourous and creepy sort of way). this has to be a hoax. I think the challenge page is really funny (oprah, Cathy Lee, Martha Stewart, hillary Clinton, Rosie O'donnell)

Looks good on the media for buying into it.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
A) Happens all the time in every sport that exists, the goal in competition of any type is to win by whatever method/rules allow. Scoring a goal or a TD is nothing more than conquering the field, to conquer is to take and hold, to take and hold you must plan and cary out action. Sounds like hunting to me.

B) Hunting men is any better? Playing the sniper on a paintball field is less moraly objectionable? If she had clothes on it would be OK?

C) Exploitation of men is OK, profit in the global system comes from not paying people what thier labor is really worth. How is it that women should be any more exempt than anyone else?

D) Relativistic nonsense? Lets let the taliban (or insert favorite chirsian zealot here) have the right to interfere at whim in your life and find out how you like it.

E) Humor, I like that, When/where is that just society?
Yow! Since I agree that this thing is probably a hoax, I'm reluctant to get into it with the Duke, who ostensibly has no trouble with Hunting for Bambi. But the fact is, some things are just not right, period. I have a hard time equating hunting naked women with football games and underpaid males. If she had clothes on, we wouldn't be talking about this, would we? The taliban (sic) quote proves my point: some things (like the way the Taliban conducted themselves) are just plain wrong. As for a just society, seems to me one of the things us planners ought to care about is creating and nurturing that very thing. 'Nuff said.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Nope, not NUF said.

It matters not if it is a hoax or not.

If you read earlier in the posts, I called it distasteful. But because appearances are decieving (clothes vs no clothes), it seems to cloud peoples judgements.

I question all judgements when they seem to be restrictive because they are usually ment to control rather than fix an issue.

Nurture a path to a utopian society through questioning others bahavior cause it is not like yours? Huh..... Sure fire way to touch off a violent revolution in that version of Dystopia :)

Rem

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Nurture a path to a utopian society through questioning others bahavior cause it is not like yours? Huh..... Sure fire way to touch off a violent revolution in that version of Dystopia :)
Questioning and changing behaviour does lead to better outcomes for society. It's like the argument over seatbelts - fine people for not wearing them will change behaviour, the societal benefits kick in and it becomes second nature.

H

Cyburbian
I want to say it so bad, but I wont. So I will just put this post here instead so my fingers fool my brain into thinking I am saying it....

to be kosher, to be kosher, to be kosher (not in the religious sense).