• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hurricane Isabel

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
(Dan) Isabel position graphic inserted.

I checked our Cyburbian locator map, and didn't see any Cybs along the coasts of N and S Carolina, which is where the storm appears to be heading now. Anyone in that area?

We have been a bit nervous here in FL for awhile now, and will keep a close eye on this one.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A few words of advice....

...maybe to Plannergirl and DaveF at this rate...

When a hurricane approaches....

Duck, and cover

When i was a kid living outside DC, hurricane Agnes hit. It wasnt that bad, maybe 80 mph winds at best. I remember my family huddling through it. I cant imagine people trying to ride out a cat. 5 storm

biscuit

Cyburbian
The only advise I can offer is leave early if it looks like it's coming your way.

A group of about eight of my friends evacuated Charleston for my parents house in the foothills back in when Floyd (also a cat. 5) was threating the Carolina coast. We waited until the Govorner issued a mandetory evacuation order to leave and the normal 4.5 hour drive took some people in our group over 22 hours! The highways were nothing more than parking lots so, using my map nerd skills, I got my car-load on the back roads and made it in a speedy time of 14 hours. No way I'd want to do that again.

One track has Isabelle going up through Virginia and smacking right into DC. I can only imagine that mess.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
We have been a bit nervous here in FL for awhile now, and will keep a close eye on this one.
I thought hurricanes tended to break down by the time they hit Orlando.

When I worked there, I couldn't leave for tropical storms or prospective hurricanes. I was on call the whole time, ready to be pressed into service as a pseudo-police officer..

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Hurricane Isabel

Dan said:
I thought hurricanes tended to break down by the time they hit Orlando.

When I worked there, I couldn't leave for tropical storms or prospective hurricanes. I was on call the whole time, ready to be pressed into service as a pseudo-police officer..
Well, I went thru a couple when I was young, and they were bad. No electric for days, I remember the start of second grade was delayed a week, trees and power lines down on many streets. It was a real mess. FL is so narrow, and has no topography to speak of, so a major storm really has no time to dissipate after crossing the coast. If a category 5 or even 4 hit the coast and came directly here, I imagine the damage would be substantial. I have 30 or so 70- to 100- foot pine trees around my house, so I won't be here, for sure.

benk928

Cyburbian
You'll notice on many of the tracking maps there's a black dot entirely obscuring my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA. People keep saying we're "due for one" so I guess we should have seen it coming. Regardless, we haven't seen anything of this magnitude in a generation, if not longer. Even 60 miles inland here in Williamsburg people are getting a little flustered. I'm hoping it starts to weaken if not peel off into the ocean, but I'm definitely worried. Advice is, as always, welcome.

-Ben

I guess it takes major-scale disasters to lure me away from lurking.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
benk928 said:
Advice is, as always, welcome.

-Ben

I guess it takes major-scale disasters to lure me away from lurking.
I think it's time for you to call PlannerGirl and Trail Nazi to arrange a hurricane party...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok guys party at my house! *this means you bring drinks, chain saws and buckets, oh yes and treats for the hounds*

Ive weathered a few nasty 'canes in NC (yes they still cause major hell as far inland as Greensboro) and Im not looking forward to "the mother of all storms".

Georgetown is already getting ready and talking about sandbags etc-major risk of flooding. Old Town Alexandria is in the same boat, much of it is only a couple feet above the river at high tide. A goodly portion of SW DC is fill so they very well may have problems.

I think the big fear is becouse the weather has been SO wet this year and good winds will push trees over pretty easy. I now we have a huge dead Oak in our yard that looks primed to tear through a few homes and cars (i will be parking my car around the other side of the block)

Im the only one out of the 4 room mates thats ever seen a 'cane so this should be fun (One is from Canada, one is from Ky and one is from upper Michigan)

wheeee PARTY!

SGB

Cyburbian
I've got in-laws who live in southern New Jersey. Since he is an assistance fire chief, I know he'll be staying put no matter what.

I'm hoping his wife (my wife's sister) will get the h!@# out of there, if need be. She's got a baby due in early March.

Last edited:
We dodged this one for a change, but there's still 2 months to go before the season is over. I think Isabel lost some strength but a Category 4 will still cause some very serious damage.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yes, just not fun no matter how strong and this one is SO massive. 74 mph winds extend 85 miles out from the eye.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Being in the Big Easy, you learn very fast that the damage a hurricane can produce is very serious. Thus, if headed your way, please make arrangements to get the hell outta dodge! Category 3, 4, and 5 hurricanes are no joke!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I've been seeing that hurricane commin' for a few days now.. I would have thought it would hit FL... but I ain't no expert...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh Great

Oh Just my luck, according to the weather Channel website (which is almost NEVER right) It will be on top of me as a co-worker and I load a U-Haul, and then I get to drive an hour to stay a day at my GF's (still in Central PA)

Friday Mid day (right on top of central PA!!!)

I just hope that the rain will let up enough to allow me to get everything into the truck.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Oh Just my luck, according to the weather Channel website (which is almost NEVER right) It will be on top of me as a co-worker and I load a U-Haul, and then I get to drive an hour to stay a day at my GF's (still in Central PA)

Friday Mid day (right on top of central PA!!!)

I just hope that the rain will let up enough to allow me to get everything into the truck.

*My bad.. this should have been in the Hurricane post, can some one move it for me?
My wife & I helped friends in the Albany, NY area move right in the midst of Tropical Storm Bertha in 1996. Yeah, we got really wet.

Some advice:
- Double up on moving blankets to cover furnishings and boxes as you load them. Rotate blankets so that some can dry to any extent possible in the truck.
- Park the truck as close to the buildings as possible. Lawns and sidewalks be damned!
- Move as fast as you can, but watch your step on slipper surfraces.
- Tennis sneakers on wet loading ramps suck! Go with a deeper tread sneaker, such as cross-country running shoes.
- Embrace the fact that you're gonna get soaked. There will be no doubt about it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
SGB said:
- Park the truck as close to the buildings as possible. Lawns and sidewalks be damned!
Here is a down fall, I have a series of wooden steps to get up to my building. It is about a full story and a half from the parking lot.

I am going to owe my buddy a full case of beer by the time everything is loaded.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
(One is from Canada, one is from Ky and one is from upper Michigan)

wheeee PARTY!
Where about in Upper Michigan??? I grew up in Escanaba and went to School in Marquette...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Any word on projected inland flooding from the storm surge? I have friends in Richmond, Arlington and even Harrisburg who are worried about flooding in that region.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Well, here on Delmarva we are getting ready. Doesn't sound like the bad stuff will be here til quitting time tomorrow and thru the night. Local forecasters are saying anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of rain and steady winds up to 60 mph. Our problem is that there aren't many places that are much higher than the water anyway, so when we get a lot of rain it floods everywhere and streets are very slow to drain. I'm putting my canoe on the porch.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Phillies vs Marlins game for tomorrow just rescheduled to 1:05 pm in case you had tix ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hoping for the best for all you Cyburbians in the path of the storm. Keep us posted on how you are faring (provided, of course, that you have power...).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
tell em to check the WTOP web site

seems to be the best collection of local info

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php

We just got a all hands meeting here at work about the storm and getting stuff ready. Local gov officials tell us to be prepared for 5 days give or take without power. Strong winds should start mid afternoon tomorrow with the rain starting about noon. Winds could easily be 40-60 MPH by tomorrow night and last into Fri morning. Metro buses and Trains will stop running above ground when the winds reach 40 MPH and the bridges will be closing at 60 MPH. I will pass on any other info as I get it if ya want it.

SGB

Cyburbian
In our neck of the woods (Southern Tier, NY), it looks like we may dodge the severe flooding.

The only question at this point (to be answered by the storm's track) is are we gonna get soaked or merely drenched. At this point wind projects are in the 30 to 60 mph range, with the higher end being primarily gusts.

I don't envy the folks down on the shorelines.

Hey, TSC: This could be a good time to head home for a visit! (After the boat's safely out of the water, that is.)

JNL

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Yes, just not fun no matter how strong and this one is SO massive. 74 mph winds extend 85 miles out from the eye.
If it's any consolation, down here at the bottom of the world, we are also experiencing 120km/h (75mph) winds today.. but no one seems particularly concerned. It's not a hurricane, we just get gale force winds every now and then.

Wellington is known for it's strong winds, so our rugby team is called the Hurricanes.

Hope you stay safe and dry!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
All right, it is official, I don't have to work tomorrow because of the storm. Basically, the DC area is shutting down for Isabel.

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Wellington is known for it's strong winds, so our rugby team is called the Hurricanes.
Of course. We know you as Wundy Wullington across the Tasman.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im jelous Trail right now we still have to work. Not like I am gonna try to drive 66 tomorrow.

Hrumph!

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Trail and Planner Girl stay safe.

I spent the morning putting deck stuff in the house and garage. even took the tarp roof og the swingset down.

We plan on hunkering down in the basement, probably even have a big family slumber party. Might be tough getting the kids and dogs to sleep all together.

Our offices are closed at 1 pm and had a meeting in Vienna cancelled.

Stay safe.

Otis

Cyburbian
I just talked to my parents in Virginia Beach. They're getting lots of rain, gusty winds, and many people (300,000?) have lost electricity. They still have electricity, though, and they're just a few blocks from the oceanfront. They said the local commentators are reporting that the storm is breaking up some.

Satellite pics show the eye coming ashore dead center between Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout. Bad ady to be in Ocracoke.

Good luck to everyone in the path. I went through Agnes when I was in high school in NoVa. Tremendous flooding and wind damage. Glad to not be in hurricane country anymore.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
SGB said:
In our neck of the woods (Southern Tier, NY), it looks like we may dodge the severe flooding.
Hey, SGB, don't forget Hurricane Agnes. I think that was the one that clobbered Elmira, NY.

Mty boss told us this AM that if the power goes out on Friday, we can all catch up on filing. I asked him if he meant by flashlight.

SGB

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Hey, SGB, don't forget Hurricane Agnes. I think that was the one that clobbered Elmira, NY.
Latest word from the National Weather services for our region is a high potential for tornados as the eye passes over the Buffalo area. Fun. (NOT!)

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Right now, the projected tracking shows that whatever is left of Isabel will pass right over Toronto in about 24 hours. I need to do some work on the house if I want to avoid getting an indoor swimming pool in the basement.

Jeff

Cyburbian
It just arrived here, 1629 EST just in time for me to leave work. Yippee.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
It just arrived here, 1629 EST just in time for me to leave work. Yippee.
Same here on the other side of the Commonwealth. Rain has just started to fall and I'm getting ready to walk out the door.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
They are anticipating we'll get some rain but nothing torrential from the outer bands as they disipate, prolly late friday for us. Sincce we are in serious drought it wil be welcomed.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Chet said:
They are anticipating we'll get some rain but nothing torrential from the outer bands as they disipate, prolly late friday for us. Sincce we are in serious drought it wil be welcomed.
* I dont think Ive ever quoted myslef before*

Tracked further east and north thanks to a front that pushed through here. No rain for us.

I would guess we have not seen or heard from Planner Girl because she is without power? I have a wierd mental image of swimming beagles.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's been raining off and on most of the day here, with some gusty winds but I don't think we've had anywhere near the amount of rain they thought we'd get.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Its likely PG is without power. Something like 90% of Fairfax County is out. Over a million total in VA.

We are a little further out and lost power from 10 pm to 5 am. Lots of rain 5 plus inches. We lost a little aluminum flashing detail of the house. no big deal.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
There are 220,000 w/o power in the Maryland DC suburbs (Montgomery, PG), and another 626,000 up around here, plus some on the Eastern Shore and southern MD. (says the Baltimore Sun). BG&E and Potomac Electric are working like beavers on speed to bring power back up. It's still on here, just some trees down and few injuries.

Linky to Baltimore Sun storyhttp://www.sunspot.net/news/weather/hurricane/bal-isabel0919,0,2828607.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

I have no idea why it double-posted the link like that. (I'll figure out how to use some of this forum stuff one day).

We're lucky, it's mostly material damage, and less than feared.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The blackout last month and hurricane this month have been wonderful for us, as a local company is one of the world's largest manufacturers of portable generators and major back-up systems such as those in hospitals or our own city hall. Their business has gone through the roof and they plan to add another 300 employees.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
im alive

im alive, no power for 3 days now and dont expect it for a few more. our area looks like a huge weed whacker came through.

at least being in arlington co we have clean water.

no damage to my place at all but everyone around us is hurting. everything in the fridge is a loss, already called USAA about it.

im a refugee going where ever i can find shower, warm food and now internet access. going home now to care for scared puppies home alone.

dont respond to this i wont see it. FYI they say the city where i work will be without power for 5-7 days

ewww

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: im alive

PlannerGirl said:
im alive, no power for 3 days now and dont expect it for a few more. our area looks like a huge weed whacker came through.

at least being in arlington co we have clean water.

no damage to my place at all but everyone around us is hurting. everything in the fridge is a loss, already called USAA about it.

im a refugee going where ever i can find shower, warm food and now internet access. going home now to care for scared puppies home alone.

dont respond to this i wont see it. FYI they say the city where i work will be without power for 5-7 days

ewww
Even though you won't be seeing this for a while, it is very good to hear that you and the hounds are alright. The loss of the fridge contents should be an opportunity to help them get over the trauma of being alone.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like cardinal, even tho you wont being seeing this for some time, I would have felt terrible if you went home to nothing. Glad to hear you came through it

I hope the same for Trail Nazi.

biscuit

Cyburbian
You said not to respond but I just wanted to say it's good to know that the only thing that went bad down there was the food. Hope all the other Cybs down that way made it out ok as well. :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Like cardinal, even tho you wont being seeing this for some time, I would have felt terrible if you went home to nothing. Glad to hear you came through it

I hope the same for Trail Nazi.
As of Friday a.m., Trail Nazi was fine, altho' they would be in the boil-water area, and lost a couple trees outside their apartment building. I'm assuming they have power.