• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hurricane Shaniqua strikes Florida Coast

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not really, but still ...

First, the usual qualifying statement that I consider myself to be an upstanding liberal.

Second, the news. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) is lobbying the National Weather Service to include black-sounding names in the list of hurricane names. Thus, along with Hurricanes George and Claudette, we'd have Hurricanes Antwon and Dewanda.

I don't know. First, feminists lobby for inclusion of male names with the pool of hurricane names because they find it offensive that hurricanes were only given women's names. Now, folks are offended that hurricanes don't include black-sounding names.

The pool of hurricane names for this year includes:

Ana
Bill
Claudette
Danny
Erika
Fabian
Grace
Henri
Isabel
Juan
Kate
Larry
Mindy
Nicholas
Odette
Peter
Rose
Sam
Teresa
Victor
Wanda

What's to stop an African-American from giving their children one of these names? Why isn't ... oh, Sheila considered a black name? Also, what would have happened if, before Representative Jackson's efforts, the biggest storm to hit the Georgia Coast in decades was named "Shaniqua?" Would folks complain because they was racist?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Why not Jewish-sounding names?

Avi
Baruch
Chaim
Dov
Elijah
Faiga
Gideon
etc.

The whole thing seems a little absurd, IMHO...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mud Princess said:
Why not Jewish-sounding names?

Avi
[snip]
I like the idea of Italian-American hurricane names. It might be interesting to follow Hurricane Ange, Hurricane Vinny, Hurricane Salvatore, Hurricane Paulie, Hurricane Joey, Hurricane Ant'ny, Hurricane Vito and Hurricane Rocco.

I also think Asian-American hurricane names are a must. After all, they're underrepresented in American popular culture. Therefore, it's a must that we have hurricanes bearing such Asian names as Cindy, Julie, Robert and John.

;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
You know what? Why not a Cha-quen-ta or Lakeesha (two girls I knew in HS). If we name hurricanes Henri or Juan (according to the list), then why not some other name representative of other ethnic groups? I actually think it's a pretty cool idea.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
At first I thought this was rediculous, But then, why not turn them into cultural celebrations, and each year pick a different ethnicity, creed, whatever? After all, hurricane names used to be male-only, and now they alternate, why not go to the next level?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Where’s hurricane Huston?
Man, no fair, why can't my name be Huston? Chicks must dig that :)

My name isn't particularly nerdy or anything [I don't think] but I think I'm going to change it to Trent Powers or something cooler.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
This is just too stupid! No wonder lawmakers don't get anything important done. What's next: "gay"-sounding names?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
This is just too stupid! No wonder lawmakers don't get anything important done. What's next: "gay"-sounding names?
HEE!

James (not Jim)
Robert (not Bob)
Marshall
Stephen (not Steve)
Camden

Chet said:
HEE!

James (not Jim)
Robert (not Bob)
Marshall
Stephen (not Steve)
Camden
Lance

I was trying to find the Homer Simpson Quote about Gays taking straights' best names, like Lance. :)

edit: My brother's exboyfriend was David - never Dave

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
HEE!

James (not Jim)
Robert (not Bob)
Marshall
Stephen (not Steve)
Camden
Woah, James is not a "gay" name- that's biblical! :)

What about altenative spellings too, like hurrica Kristofer.

el Guapo

Capitalist
They should all be named after dictators, injuries and diseases:

Hurricane Pol Pot
Hurricane Necrotic Leprosy
Hurricane Idi Amin Da Da
Hurricane End Stage Lymphoma
Hurricane Benito Mussolini
Hurricane Sucking Chest Wound
Hurricane Adolph Hitler...yada yada

That sounds much more impressive than Hurricane Julian (the gayest name, ever).

H

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Man, no fair, why can't my name be Huston? Chicks must dig that :)

Thanks for the complement. It was my grandmother’s maiden name, so I like it. :)

Runner

Cyburbian
Hurricanes are evil:

Hurricane Saddam (SADDAM Husayn)
Hurricane Ali (Ayatollah Ali Hoseini-KHAMENEI)
Hurricane Kim (KIM Chong-il)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Chet said:
HEE!

James (not Jim)
Robert (not Bob)
Marshall
Stephen (not Steve)
Camden
Hey I think Bob is a crappy nickname and hate being called it. Rob or Robert are much better. I thought that was a 1950's stereotype about full names sounding gay. I know some straight Stephens and Jameses, too

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm calling my congressman right now to get the NWS to include redneck-sounding names in the hurricane name list:

Bubba
Cletis
Dubya (couldn't resist!)
Eli...

Any hyphenated first name:
Jim-Bob
Billy-Bob...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I've already had a hurricane under (one of) my name(s). I see my other name on the list Dan put...

What better to have your name attached to one of the most destructive hurricanes ever...

I doubt my name goes to a hurricane (at least not in Spanish) 'cause I remember people having quite a deal trying to pronounce it :p

Let's hope that the hurricanes this year won't be so destructive...

pete-rock

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
You know what? Why not a Cha-quen-ta or Lakeesha (two girls I knew in HS).
If there is one pet peeve that I have that's worthy of a rant, it's the fake, phony, pseudo-African, "I gotta be original", made-up names that my people have come up with over the years.

[RANT]
My daughter's name is Brittany and my son is William. My daughter's about to enter the 7th grade, and she has been chastised by some of her friends (with names like Tereniqua, Paqueesha (!) LaTavara(!!) Taiyosha (!!!) and Lavoisier (!!!!)) for having a "white" name! If anything, my daughter could be accused of having a "blonde" name (like Ashley or Jessica), but these kids know nothing of that.

Excuse me, but when you're done with school and looking for a job, don't Brittany or William sound like much more "hirable" names than Lavoisier, given the same education and background?

These parents are doing a great disservice to their kids, and it's stupid for some politician to think that we should be represented with hurricane names, like Grace, Larry or Rose. Imagine the jokes in the news when "Hurricane Taiyosha" stirs up in the Gulf of Mexico!

And I have one of these names! I go by Pete, in the same way Condoleeza Rice goes by Condi.
[/RANT]

Habanero

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
If anything, my daughter could be accused of having a "blonde" name (like Ashley or Jessica), but these kids know nothing of that.[/RANT]
Oh heeeellll no you didn't just call my name a "blonde name"!! ;)
I was an original!!

tsc

Cyburbian
how bout famous animal/cartoon names.... like Rin-Tin-Tin, Flicka, Flipper, Ole Yeller, Morris, Bugs, Daffy, Silver, Mickey, Bullwinkle, Snoopy, Garfield, Magilla, Felix

....James is very gay....all the straight men I know go by Jim....