• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Working I am starting my own consulting biz in June.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Going to do some interim administration and general municipal consulting focusing on small towns. I have a model contract, scope of services agreements, cost structure and marketing piece ready to go. A pandemic probably isn't the best time to be starting out, but it is what it is. Wish me luck.

Congrats! :)

Maybe you can post something about how to go from zero to consultant -- contracts, software/hardware how to respond to RFPs/RFQs, how to estimate fees, and especially how to market yourself to other communities who would be your first clients.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Congrats! :)

Maybe you can post something about how to go from zero to consultant -- contracts, software/hardware how to respond to RFPs/RFQs, how to estimate fees, and especially how to market yourself to other communities who would be your first clients.

I am sort of reacting to what has been a need, at least in our area. The people who do these kinds of things are generally 65+ and do it as a retirement gig. Also, there are just less people in local gov admin now generally, let alone ones with 20 years experience.

I am hoping to have 2-3 clients at a time and work in 3 and 6 month increments. Might even consider one client full time for 6 months for the right place.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Well, I gave it a shot. COVID has really changed things. I decided to go back to a conventional job and in fact am about to start one. COVID has really just ground activity down. I will give it a try again someday. It was good to step back and get some perspective though.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well, I gave it a shot. COVID has really changed things. I decided to go back to a conventional job and in fact am about to start one. COVID has really just ground activity down. I will give it a try again someday. It was good to step back and get some perspective though.
Sorry to hear that. I know many local governments around here are putting off some code work they need done because they don't want to spend the dollars. I would guess that we will see lots of local governments hold their contracts until the Fall.

On the flip side, I have had a lot of private developers trying to get projects off the ground int he last month... so maybe things are turning around?

Hopefully the conventional job is good for you too.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I tried to start a business over a year ago - had a lot of interest from small towns to help them but they have no money as in "we have $5,000 set aside to do the comp plan, can you help us?" - uh...

and also I got really depressed not being connected in a community - I had been doing local planning for 25 years and for a host of personal and professional reasons, I just needed to be back in a municipality

So good luck being back in!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Yes I tried to start a business over a year ago - had a lot of interest from small towns to help them but they have no money as in "we have $5,000 set aside to do the comp plan, can you help us?" - uh...

and also I got really depressed not being connected in a community - I had been doing local planning for 25 years and for a host of personal and professional reasons, I just needed to be back in a municipality

So good luck being back in!

I got into a nice bedroom type town. Its close to where I am, so no move in the near future. Its tough to get outside the field much over 50. We are who we are professionally at this point.