• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

I am to old for this....

Queen B

Cyburbian
When I was younger and people were disrespectful to me in school or an employment setting, I always thought it was because of my age and that when I was older that I would gain a certain amount of respect for age and the possible wisdom that comes from just surviving.

Now that I have been out in the working world for a fair amount of time my thoughts on all that have changed drastically.

I am a person that works hard and does my job to the best of my ability. I don't lie or cheat or steal. I am fair to those around me. I realize that not everyone is going to get along but I feel that you only go around in this world once and there is no reason to allow people to treat me poorly.

Once again, I am at a cross road in my life. I am to old for this...
I am back out looking for another job. All I really want is to get a job where people might appreciate what I do for them. Where they might be able to greet each other in the halls with a pleasant Hello. Where miniscual mistakes are not blown out of porportion and great work ignored.

Help, Help wake me from this nightmare before I rant on and on....

ludes98

Cyburbian
Did I miss the thread that announced your departure or is this rant it? I guess the new director was just too much? In any case good luck in your search! You are never to old for something new! ;-)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Keep your head up and don't compromise your values and style. Keep striving...things will get better.

Best wishes. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
QB, I was in a similar situation early in my career and I jumped ship too. So I feel for you because I know what it's like. On the other side of the coin, I've learned that sometimes you have to glow in your own self-satisfaction of knowing you've done a good job--that got me through a number of weeks when things were pretty bad. Best of luck in your search.

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome to the club.

I am thinking that getting out of the civil service may be the only way off the train of rudeness and finger pointing. But I somehow doubt it. I think that what makes a good planner is a person that has the qualities that you express, but unfortuantely having those qualities makes working in the environment that we have to difficult and raises our expectations of ourselves and of others.

Maybe a career change is in order. That is probably going to be my next step in the coming months.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
All I really want is to get a job where people might appreciate what I do for them. Where they might be able to greet each other in the halls with a pleasant Hello. Where miniscual mistakes are not blown out of porportion and great work ignored.

Help, Help wake me from this nightmare before I rant on and on....
I was there 2 years ago, so you have my sympathy. It sucks to have to go thru this when it is the personality of management, not you, causing the problem. Hope you are able to find something better, where you are appreciated. Please keep us posted on developments.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear things have not worked out well, QB. Any particular parts of the country you are looking?

Queen B

Cyburbian
As always you guys are to sweet!!!

Yes a career change has to be in order for now. My current position and the City are the only games in this area. We just moved last year I waited until I was six months into the new job before we bought a house. My husband is settled in a GREAT job that he loves.. My daughter just moved to town also. And then my job goes to crap.
To make matters worse a planner friend of mine in Arkansas told me the other day when I called to get comfort and support from him, that his assistant is retiring in Dec. but I really need to stay settled here for a few more years. I don't have the house restored yet and the profits will be so much better if I can get that done.

And to answer whether I had announced anything before, I don't think that I really have. As it sits now, everytime I try to go back to work my blood pressure shoots up. My Dr. has told me to find a different job. I am currently on family medical leave and have used up all my benefits plus three extra weeks from the sick leave pool. So I am still employed but looking for work. I told the County that I wanted to continue to work for them although they have interviewed me they have not been able to see fit to put me in a different position. They seem to think I am just having a fit because they hired someone else...not the case at all. She has just been horrible to me and life is to short to deal with it.

OK, thanks for letting me vent...And for all the support!!!
So I am looking.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Before I left Planning in this county 2 years ago, I was getting sick to my stomach almost every day, driving to work. Going home, I would start to feel better. Trail Nazi was in the same situation. Relentless, unwarranted persecution can do that to you. In our cases, it was vindictiveness by a newly-hired director. Nothing to be done about it but GO! Then there is such a great sense of relief!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hey babe, you know I'm here for ya. Did the kiddo find a place? Something will come up. I'm an eternal optimist and I think that things happen for a reason. I just have to look at my last 8 months to firmly believe it. Positive things are around the corner and will show up unexpectedly.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
....Hey, It's O.K.

QB:

Stay the course and don't compromise your principles. What you've experienced is universal; it's happened to me 2 times in my career!

As for respect, it's sort of like courtesy - don't count on it always being extended but appreciate it when you see it.

I'm sure you'll sustain! :-D

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you - take the opportunity to decompress before you up and quit. Hopefully the powers that be will realize you're not the problem and do something about it!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Why do new managers think the "There is a new sheriff in town and EVERTHING is going to change" attitude works? It just pisses people off. I have been thinking about this because I have a little pressure from some that I havn't changed things fast enough. The way I do things, is to make small gradual changes in the right direction until we are where we should be. I came here and 3 out of 5 employees had been here 20+ years. You just cannot jump into a situation like that and start kicking asses, it takes finesse.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Very sorry to hear about this [/b]Queen. I went through a situation a couple of years ago where I was at a job I absolutely HATED. I didn't like my co-workers (there was a definate crazy there in the other employees), the boss seemed to be in the early stages of senitlity, and the work was less than satisfying. I'm normaly very healthy, but found myself getting physically sick on an almost daily basis. My nerves were shot and I had to get out. Leaving that place was the best thing I could have done, and although I went several months without work, I was able to get my head back on straight, my health improved, and I was able to find the wonderful job I have now.

So best of luck to you. Who knows, this misery might just be the impetus toward better things. :)